British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Class wars. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/class-wars-532383/)

The Bard of Wigan Apr 26th 2008 7:51 pm

Class wars.

What's the deal with class out there in NZ?

Is it as big a mine field as back here in the UK?

southerner Apr 26th 2008 8:17 pm

Re: Class wars.

Its what you sit in if you go to school.

The Bard of Wigan Apr 26th 2008 9:06 pm

Originally Posted by southerner (Post 6269605)
Its what you sit in if you go to school.

Unfortunately you didn't. :rolleyes:

Genesis Apr 26th 2008 10:22 pm

Originally Posted by The Bard of Wigan (Post 6269545)

Or its what the average kiwi ain't got..apparently. everyone goes on about how this country lacks panache etc..thats why I love it!!! Its soooo me

Eccentric, backwards, shy of the real world...and there is no class system to speak of.

Others say this, the odd dissenter assures you that there is a sort of class system.

I have not yet met a posh kiwi!! I do not feel any type of class thing going on. You will meet the odd one who must drive the best car have the beat address and the longest boat....but thats about money aye?

I wonder what its like in Auckland? I am sure its different there. My comments are coming from a rural perspective. Things are VERY<VERY down to earth here.

And there is certainly NOT a posh accent like there is in the UK.

There is a HUGE socio-economic didvide though.

I think NZ is wonderful because it is sooooooooooooooooooooo unlike anywhere else...and thats why loads of people HATE it!!!!!!

Bo-Jangles Apr 26th 2008 10:43 pm

Aye, you're right in a way Genesis, but the class system as always is based around education and what school you go to and we're hardly likely to be rubbing shoulders with them. The old boy networks are alive and well in Auckland and Christchurch even more so. There's plenty of the ladies who lunch with whom having the 'correct' address is key. :D

There's definitely a huge element of he who has the most toys wins and one only has to look at the number of $130k Porsche Cayennes, multi-million dollar homes, yachts in the harbour and boys toys on the road to know that there is plenty of spare cash slopping around the monied classes.

lardyl Apr 26th 2008 11:52 pm

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles (Post 6270052)
....There's definitely a huge element of he who has the most toys wins and one only has to look at the number of $130k Porsche Cayennes, multi-million dollar homes, yachts in the harbour and boys toys on the road to know that there is plenty of spare cash slopping around the monied classes.

yeah, just spend a few months in certain corporate places and you will find this effect is alive and well here and TBH there is far more of an obvious old-boy network in many areas here than in there was in the UK where a lot of it has been diluted or cracked-down on......... :thumbup:
And don't get me started on the "trade clubs" where outsiders are kept out and bad practice/incompetance pervades........:thumbdown:

Nerine Apr 27th 2008 12:07 am

Market research undertaken by the Listener, using TNS to poll 1000 people nationwide, has revealed that 70 percent of New Zealanders think a social class system exists here, compared with 84 percent of respondents who believe a class system exists in England. Of those who believe it exists here, 74 percent say class is mostly based on money, but that education, where you live, your ethnicity, occupation and family background also play important roles.
link

There are plenty of rags-to-riches stories in New Zealand to demonstrate that, with determination, upward mobility is certainly possible. Eric Watson was a butcher’s apprentice at 16, and is now one of the country’s most successful entrepreneurs. Graeme Hart might still be able to knock dents out of his car, having once been a panelbeater, but, as New Zealand’s richest man, would certainly be able to buy a new one, instead, if he preferred. And Just Water CEO Tony Falkenstein’s two failed attempts at UE are hardly relevant to such a successful entrepreneur

Batty Apr 27th 2008 6:43 am

Unfortunately, the same as anywhere, money in no way equals class :blink:

pascalr Apr 27th 2008 7:38 am

Definate class system here & old boys network, worse than uk imo.

But they really have no class.

Nerine Apr 27th 2008 8:11 am

Most migrants won't even get to a level within NZ society where'd they'd become aware of how strong the Old Boy Network is - how they all golf together, have their bachs in the same locations and go to the same churches. Us migrants are there to do the work! :)

lardyl Apr 27th 2008 9:14 am

Originally Posted by Nerine (Post 6271011)
Most migrants won't even get to a level within NZ society where'd they'd become aware of how strong the Old Boy Network is - how they all golf together, have their bachs in the same locations and go to the same churches. Us migrants are there to do the work! :)

some of us did and then realised where the writing was and got out to get away from the politics and "treading on eggshells" - as Pas' says it is worse in many ways than in UK and the snobbishness is really there in the open - people have not got to the point in NZ where they see how stupid they look doing it *yet*, like they have in most of Europe/US......:p

Bellasmum Apr 27th 2008 9:35 am

Originally Posted by Nerine (Post 6271011)

:rofl: :rofl: flipping heck we have a bach but never wanted a porsche

My Dad worked on the roads all his working life and we always owned a bach

Nerine Apr 27th 2008 9:48 am

:D It's got nothing to do with having a bach, it's having one in the right location and it being worth a lot. Usually on the Coromandel, Pauanui is a good start.

Porsche? maybe, but it has to be European. High end Audi and BMW are quite well favoured.

Avid Apr 27th 2008 11:09 am

Originally Posted by The Bard of Wigan (Post 6269545)

Much smaller 'middle class' than the UK and the 'upper class' is practically microscopic. Loads and loads of 'decent working class' and a sizeable underclass that everybody pretends doesn't exist.

Everyone either thinks or pretends that New Zealand is classless so it isn't really a major issue.

bourbon-biscuit Apr 27th 2008 8:30 pm

I think Avid is spot on.

I'm not sure how it is in the cities or in business but rurally you can expect to see the huge landowners playing cricket with the farm labourer and shearers as par the course.

Yotty Apr 28th 2008 7:24 am

There's plenty of the ladies who lunch with whom having the 'correct' address is key.
Originally posted by Bo-Jangles... Fendalton Perchance? ;)

southerner Apr 28th 2008 8:09 am

Originally Posted by The Bard of Wigan (Post 6269745)
Unfortunately you didn't. :rolleyes:

;)

that's why I use spellcheck for anything important.:D

Bellasmum May 3rd 2008 1:38 am

Originally Posted by Nerine (Post 6271389)
:D It's got nothing to do with having a bach, it's having one in the right location and it being worth a lot. Usually on the Coromandel, Pauanui is a good start.

Porsche? maybe, but it has to be European. High end Audi and BMW are quite well favoured.

Sorry Nerine. For a moment I quite forgot you are the expert on all things Kiwi rofl: and I am just a dumb Kiwi who likes to come in here and tries to defend (sic) the indefensible.

But it is rather ironic that you mention the Coromandel in your assessment of the best places to own a bach :rofl:

One thing I do know is what is seen as a class system in the UK means nought to the majority of Kiwi's. And let's hope it stays that way.

pascalr May 3rd 2008 2:35 am

Originally Posted by Bellasmum (Post 6301064)
Sorry Nerine. For a moment I quite forgot you are the expert on all things Kiwi rofl: and I am just a dumb Kiwi who likes to come in here and tries to defend (sic) the indefensible.

But it is rather ironic that you mention the Coromandel in your assessment of the best places to own a bach :rofl:

One thing I do know is what is seen as a class system in the UK means nought to the majority of Kiwi's. And let's hope it stays that way.

ooops, someone got out of bed the wrong side this morning..yawn

Have some more lemmons little kiwi, bitter, bitter, bitter

How depressing:thumbdown:

Hokey-pokey May 3rd 2008 4:34 am

Originally Posted by Bellasmum (Post 6301064)

Quite agree with you there Bellasmum - I thought that a bit of a giggle too.

Bellasmum May 3rd 2008 8:03 am

Originally Posted by pascalr (Post 6301167)
ooops, someone got out of bed the wrong side this morning..yawn

Have some more lemmons little kiwi, bitter, bitter, bitter

How depressing:thumbdown:

Actually I am not one bit bitter (why should I be), nor am I depressed.

Somewhat amused is more like how I feel right now :)

BEVS May 3rd 2008 8:15 am

Did no-one notice that the OP has left the building ?

It was a trolley dolly, "pull all your strings " wind-up , people.:zzz

Thread closed coz it's just plain silly .