Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

class 5 hgv driver in NZ

class 5 hgv driver in NZ

Old Jul 17th 2012, 9:36 pm
Just Joined

ianflanne99 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default class 5 hgv driver in NZ

I am looking into the possibility of driving lass 5 in NZ .I am age 42 with over 15 years experience driving hgv class 1 in the uk which is the same.
It seems its a catch 22 ie to get a work visa for 12 months you need a job and to get a job you need a visa is there any best way ie maybe go over look for a job then apply for visa when there not really sure any help much appriciated
Old Jul 17th 2012, 9:51 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: class 5 hgv driver in NZ

your correct in saying you need a visa to work but you don't need a visa to get a job. Companies don't seem to get the gist that you need the job offer for the visa and not the other way round.
If you can get over then that's a good way to start as it shows employers that you are serious about coming.
Now there is some conflicting advise from the governing bodies as to whether you can come over on a vistors' visa and actively seek employment. Best way to go is not to mention it if asked that you are seeking employment, just say your over on a holiday etc. don't carry CV in paper form whilst travelling over.

There are various post on here about truck/HGV drivers so maybe try a search but you could also look on sites like trademe.co.nz and seek.co.nz and see what area's seem to have the most jobs.
Old Jul 17th 2012, 10:18 pm
Just Joined

ianflanne99 is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks i think that might be the best way i do have an auntie and cousins in kerikeri so would have some help when i get over there
Old Jul 18th 2012, 6:17 am
If u see Sid, tell 'im...

Location: Ex of Hucknall and Mansfield, Notts and now in Manly, Whangaparaoa, just North of Auckland!
sirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ianflanne99
thanks i think that might be the best way i do have an auntie and cousins in kerikeri so would have some help when i get over there
You need to contact 'Concretepump', on here. I believe he drives trucks.....You'll need to transfer the licence to a NZ one but that involves a multi choice and an eye test for Class 1 UK to NZ Class 5...
Old Jul 18th 2012, 4:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

concretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by sirplug
You need to contact 'Concretepump', on here. I believe he drives trucks.....You'll need to transfer the licence to a NZ one but that involves a multi choice and an eye test for Class 1 UK to NZ Class 5...
when i done my theory, had an eye test and a 35 min test for hgv and car they are all in one, i only have class two uk class four nz,
think you might be better to go over, and knock on a few doors maybe e-mail some of the bigger companies, depends on what you drive try and get some contracts before you go hope they are getting hotter now about getting in i should hear this week about my visas the firm who offered me the job cant get any one , yet the labour test says there are people who could do my job, so not sure which way it will go ,good luck in your search
Old Jul 18th 2012, 9:56 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by concretepump
i should hear this week about my visas the firm who offered me the job cant get any one , yet the labour test says there are people who could do my job, so not sure which way it will go ,good luck in your search
Poo ! Why? Truck Driver is still on the immediate shortage list.

mate
Old Jul 18th 2012, 11:04 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS

mate
+1
Old Jul 19th 2012, 5:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

I work at a driver training school I run there digger school for them i also have a class 5, there is plenty of work here but the moneys not good 18/22 bux an hour about 9 quid which is probably on par with UK money but it,s a LOT more expensive here. Also they will try and spank you on your rate as you dont have any "kiwi" driving experience which is a load of bollox as it,s an absolute pleasure to drive here, it,s also not unusual to see 10 + year ols trucks over here as daily drivers they get run forever and if you get a new truck it,s a huge deal get used to RR boxes

Hope i havn,t put you off

Neil

Edit... there is a lot of truck and dog trailers here there a pain in the arse to back up

Last edited by Jan n Neil; Jul 19th 2012 at 5:33 am.
Old Jul 19th 2012, 12:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

concretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by BEVS

mate
well technically, job title is for concrete pump and boom operator, its on level four, they have had some one else leave and go to oz, and as i have worked there before they are bending over back wards to try and get me in, it was two much work to go accredited just for one person, so still waiting only bean four months, but hey thanks for all the fingers crossed
Old Jul 19th 2012, 3:34 pm
Forum Regular

PHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to behold

Try asking questions here
http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=118
Old Jul 20th 2012, 5:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by concretepump
well technically, job title is for concrete pump and boom operator, its on level four, they have had some one else leave and go to oz, and as i have worked there before they are bending over back wards to try and get me in, it was two much work to go accredited just for one person, so still waiting only bean four months, but hey thanks for all the fingers crossed

Who are u working for ? I used to drive a mixer for Readymix in ChCh, loved the job just got sick of the 3am pours

Neil
Old Jul 20th 2012, 5:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jan n Neil
Who are u working for ? I used to drive a mixer for Readymix in ChCh, loved the job just got sick of the 3am pours

Neil
hi neil
have my own pump business in uk, but have been offered a job for the waterhouse group in the mount tauranga, worked there in 07 for about nine months,
hours were very good then mostly 600am until 400pm and some times sat morning, they have about 18 people that now work for them work has been slow there but much the same as here, should hear this week if we will get offered visas some days here i can do two hours or more traveling to and from jobs, in the mount avg was half an hour