British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Claiming VAT back - worth it or not? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/claiming-vat-back-worth-not-719632/)

Jan n Neil Jun 4th 2011 8:39 pm

Claiming VAT back - worth it or not?

We are in the UK for two weeks and I am busy re-stocking my (work) wardrobe with suits and stuff. Horrible job but someone's got to do it :rofl:

As we are using our NZ credit card we keep getting VAT refund receipts and given what I am buying it might be worth claiming it back at the airport. However

a) I am working in the Uk so will actually be wearing some of the suits so will remove the price labels and they will not be brand new
b) someone (HM govt?) seems to be charging an admin fee for this, which seems to be equal to about 40% of the VAT according to my receipts
c) will customs in the UK tell customs in Nz so we will be charged GST on arrival, and even import tax? just a wild guess at this.... have no idea..

is it worth it?

I think not, but wondered if anyone had encountered this and followed it up?

Jan

scrubbedexpat094 Jun 4th 2011 11:01 pm

Re: Claiming VAT back - worth it or not?

We claimed VAT back on approx GBP600 worth of stuff bought at M&S whilst in the UK in 2009. However we bought everything on our Maestro card from our UK bank account. I just kept all our receipts & then gave them to customer services at M&S a couple of days before we left. They collated everything & gave us the form to hand in at the airport.

At Manchester Airport there is just a post box to put the form into, which is then sent off to be checked. The VAT was deposited into our UK bank account approx a month later.

Didn't have any dealings with customs this end, just the standard stuff when going through an airport.

Jan n Neil Jun 16th 2011 8:36 am

Thanks VS :thumbsup:

we are travelling through Heathrow and the website says we have to produce all the goods and we need a "Customs" stamp

a) we will have packed and

b) I might be wearing some of them :rofl:

I guess you did not get asked to prove you were actually exporting the items?

Ta
Jan

Buzzy--Bee Jun 16th 2011 9:30 am

Before we emigrated I went nuts at M&S and like Vitalstatistix got them to tot it all up and give me the docket at their Marble Arch branch.

Then at Heathrow I produced the docket, didn't have to show any of the goods, and elected to receive my refund on the spot in US$.

BB

Genesis Jun 16th 2011 9:57 am

If you have the time and the inclination to wait in the ever so long queue that was awaiting us then yes. Frankly I couldn't be bothered. I saw my VAT payments as wealth distribution on a truly global scale.

Jan n Neil Jun 16th 2011 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by Genesis (Post 9436476)
If you have the time and the inclination to wait in the ever so long queue that was awaiting us then yes. Frankly I couldn't be bothered. I saw my VAT payments as wealth distribution on a truly global scale.

tbh we might not bother.... it's not masses of money and does seem like a lot of bother.....

Jan

scrubbedexpat094 Jun 16th 2011 6:10 pm

We flew to & from Manchester & just had to post ours into a box. No queueing, so no bother. I was happy to keep our cash away from that nasty Gordon Brown :p

Buzzy--Bee Jun 16th 2011 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by Jan n Neil (Post 9437040)
tbh we might not bother.... it's not masses of money and does seem like a lot of bother.....

Jan

It was 200 pounds for me, at the time about $400 US, which was well worth it.

Took about 5 minutes at Heathrow. I think $400 for 5 minutes work is worth it!

BB