British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   claiming tax back? help needed. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/claiming-tax-back-help-needed-417786/)

stacey19 Jan 9th 2007 3:55 pm

claiming tax back? help needed.

The OH will be getting his P45 On Monday as we fly out on the 23rd January. He has worked for his employer for nearly 6 years and this year has paid over 4,000 in Tax upto week 41. Is he entitled to any of this tax back? We have been told to get something called a P85 Form which we have got and are just waiting to get the P45. Its all quite confusing as we have been told he will get it all back, he will get a percentage back, he will get nothing back. Can anybody here tell me if they got any Tax back (you dont have to say how much :wink) and roughly what percentage they got back.

Many thanks

stacey

P2L Jan 9th 2007 3:57 pm

Re: claiming tax back? help needed.

Hiya

An accountant friend of ours has said that we would be entitled to the tax due for the remainder of the tax year. Don't know how accurate that is.

Sarah

jueinnz Jan 9th 2007 5:59 pm

We got some back but I don't remeber it being much!!! and we left work at May time, think it was in the hundreds, not thousands!! I know it was pretty easy a check came though after we had left UK and just got parents to pay it into UK account.

uk+kiwi Jan 9th 2007 6:07 pm

Originally Posted by stacey19 (Post 4263726)
The OH will be getting his P45 On Monday as we fly out on the 23rd January. He has worked for his employer for nearly 6 years and this year has paid over 4,000 in Tax upto week 41. Is he entitled to any of this tax back? We have been told to get something called a P85 Form which we have got and are just waiting to get the P45. Its all quite confusing as we have been told he will get it all back, he will get a percentage back, he will get nothing back. Can anybody here tell me if they got any Tax back (you dont have to say how much :wink) and roughly what percentage they got back.

Many thanks

stacey

Hi Stacey,

You will most likely get some of it back. Won't be all of it though since we are in week 41 of a 52 week tax year. The reason you get some back is because tax is calculated as if you work for the entire tax year. If you don't, then you have earnt less than 'expected' and thus get a rebate back on the difference. You could work it out roughly by looking at what he has earnt for the year and how much tax is due on that amount vs how much has been paid - ie first c.5k at 0% tax, the next c2k at x% etc. The exact bands and rates are on the IR website.

I would suggest the easiest place to start is with a call to the IR. The P85 sounds believable and if it's correct, they could send you one.:)

leedge Jan 9th 2007 7:07 pm

The P85 works but it's also worth noting that if you usually fill in a self-assessment form then they won't process the P85 refund until they've got your self-assessment for the latest year. Took a couple of months for us between sending the forms and getting the money.

kwprwn Jan 9th 2007 7:35 pm

Many thanks

stacey

Hi Stacey

my oh paid about $2500 tax and he got about 10% back...it was pretty rubbish really

sorry to put a downer on it but we thought it might be more as well, but I got less than 10% back, so they must calculate everyone different

Apple12 Jan 9th 2007 8:25 pm

Originally Posted by kwprwn (Post 4264368)
Hi Stacey

my oh paid about $2500 tax and he got about 10% back...it was pretty rubbish really

sorry to put a downer on it but we thought it might be more as well, but I got less than 10% back, so they must calculate everyone different

I had earnt less than 5k in the tax year by the time I left the UK- so got all of the tax back that I had paid (as my income for the tax year was less than 5k, so I was under the limit).
Take the total amount of money earnt for the tax year. Calculate how much tax you would pay if this was your entire years earnings. Subtract this from the amount of tax you have *actually* paid. The remainder is the amount of money that you will get back.
P85 can be filled in once you have left the country and once you have your final P45. The cheque will be mailed to you or the money deposited into your UK account.

kwprwn Jan 9th 2007 9:43 pm

Originally Posted by Apple12 (Post 4264525)
I had earnt less than 5k in the tax year by the time I left the UK- so got all of the tax back that I had paid (as my income for the tax year was less than 5k, so I was under the limit).
Take the total amount of money earnt for the tax year. Calculate how much tax you would pay if this was your entire years earnings. Subtract this from the amount of tax you have *actually* paid. The remainder is the amount of money that you will get back.
P85 can be filled in once you have left the country and once you have your final P45. The cheque will be mailed to you or the money deposited into your UK account.

think i've been diddled then...will have a relooksie at that when i get home

thanks apple...oops forgotten your normal name:D

Batty Jan 10th 2007 6:06 am

Hi Stacey. There's a company called Taxback.com (www.taxback.com) who operate all over the World and if you want them to see what you'd be entitled to they will do it free of charge and then if/when it comes through they take a small % and pay it into your account here. I've no connection to them but have used them twice now and find them very good. They don't just look for the tax back from your employment but also any other charges such as council tax, medical - anything that you can claim tax relief on (so long as you have receipts etc). I know people could/should do all this themselves but I had enough to do when I got here without chasing the tax man. Good luck.

spackster Jan 10th 2007 5:09 pm

Many thanks

stacey

Hi ya,

P85 form - you can download and print it yourselves

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/cnr/p85_p85s.htm

Adie