Reload this Page >

which city to move to?

which city to move to?

Old Jun 27th 2007, 8:27 pm
Just Joined

ginny5577 will become famous soon enough
Default which city to move to?

hello out there!
My partner and I are trying to emmigrate throughout the skilled migrant route...
I am a hairdresser of 20 years standing ( ok may be long in the tooth but armed to the teeth with qualifications and experience)we are going through an agent as although not blonde have the capacity of a newt!
Partner can only find employment in a, Hamilton. b, ChCH c, Queenstown . . .. therefor, give me some clues as to the city to choose and why, all info would be gratefully .
Old Jun 27th 2007, 8:42 pm
Forum Regular

JoandDean has a spectacular aura aboutJoandDean has a spectacular aura aboutJoandDean has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: which city to move to?

Hiya

Welcome to the board. We have also used an agent, wish I'd have found this site sooner!!!!

We are hoping to be going to Hamilton Aug time, don't know much about it, this is where OH has got a job so it will be interesting to see what people will say.

Karonious is in Hamilton and if you read her blog it has some useful info on Hamilton itself (I hope you don't mind me saying this Karonious)

Jo x
Old Jun 27th 2007, 8:56 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

Originally Posted by ginny5577
hello out there!
My partner and I are trying to emmigrate throughout the skilled migrant route...
I am a hairdresser of 20 years standing ( ok may be long in the tooth but armed to the teeth with qualifications and experience)we are going through an agent as although not blonde have the capacity of a newt!
A newt -- -- karma sent for that. Well, I wanted to send karma but the pop-up said I needed to spread some karma around before giving it to you.
Partner can only find employment in a, Hamilton. b, ChCH c, Queenstown . . .. therefore, give me some clues as to the city to choose and why, all info would be gratefully .
Queenstown is beautiful, but it is a resort town and so the price of housing and assorted daily necessities are high.
Christchurch is the primary city on the South Island so has a lot of services for a rather moderately sized city.
Hamilton has a good university, they've sorted out the wicket on their cricket ground, there's a nice botanical garden and best of all it ain't Auckland!
Old Jun 28th 2007, 7:23 am
Just Joined

thanks for that,
I too wish I found this site sooner... love reading all the goings on out there!
Heard from our agent in NZ last night (midnight!!!!) looks like we are aiming for november... eek! reality now setting in.
having spoken to agent it looks like its going to be CHCH due to other halves work, (agent wasnt aware that there was a site for employment in HAmilton for other half - entertainment industry!!! ) therefor if she lives an hour away and doesnt know of it, doesnt hold out too much hope for that location so.... back to CHCH however, dont want to be in the center of the city so looking at suburbs and commutable country.... any ideas out there? we don't have bags of money but have one son aged 12 obviously needs to be educated and have approx region of $400,00 - $500,000 to spend on home.
Old Jun 28th 2007, 7:43 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Welcome to the board Ginny.

What exactly does your other half do?
Is your partner the main applicant?

agent wasnt aware that there was a site for employment in HAmilton for other half - entertainment industry!!! ) therefor if she lives an hour away and doesnt know of it, doesnt hold out too much hope for that location
HHmm. Or she is not doing her job.

Your agent should have explored and been aware of ALL possibilities or, if not, researching all possibilities. That is what you are paying for.

Bung over more details.You never know, you may have more options than are being presented.
Old Jun 28th 2007, 10:45 am

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

thanks for that,
I too wish I found this site sooner... love reading all the goings on out there!
Heard from our agent in NZ last night (midnight!!!!) looks like we are aiming for november... eek! reality now setting in.
having spoken to agent it looks like its going to be CHCH due to other halves work, (agent wasnt aware that there was a site for employment in HAmilton for other half - entertainment industry!!! ) therefor if she lives an hour away and doesnt know of it, doesnt hold out too much hope for that location so.... back to CHCH however, dont want to be in the center of the city so looking at suburbs and commutable country.... any ideas out there? we don't have bags of money but have one son aged 12 obviously needs to be educated and have approx region of $400,00 - $500,000 to spend on home.
Ah, I hope you don't feel like Christchurch is the booby prize. I think it's a very livable city.
As for outside of town and looking at your housing budget you might want to consider Rangiora or maybe Oxford.
Old Jun 28th 2007, 11:50 am
conquering the world!

karonious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JoandDean
Hiya

Karonious is in Hamilton and if you read her blog it has some useful info on Hamilton itself (I hope you don't mind me saying this Karonious)

Jo x
No problems.
Sounds like ChCh is winning at the moment though. If I can offer any info, let me know
Old Jun 28th 2007, 12:26 pm
NZ ways is best ways :0)

Wiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond repute

hello out there!
Partner can only find employment in a, Hamilton. b, ChCH c, Queenstown . . .. therefor, give me some clues as to the city to choose and why, all info would be gratefully .
Queenstown - I know 3 people there and all have said that it is great for the first 3 months but after that you are on your own because of the seasonality of the place. Me and the T loved it there 3 weeks ago, and right now it is snow central - but make sure that 'different' is what you want before you decide.

Hamilton - Sorry, I have no idea of - hope someone else can help you out here.

ChCh? - Well that's where I am right now and we are really enjoying all it has to offer. Imagine a busy town, with all you would like to keep you amused in the way of theatre, restaurant, cinema, parks, shopping and sight seeing - well we love it and I reckon you would like it too.

Ultimately - in my experience - I have to say that only Aukland has so far felt like a real 'city' in European terms so be sure of what you are looking for before making that move.

Good luck!
Old Jun 28th 2007, 10:40 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by happynz
Ah, I hope you don't feel like Christchurch is the booby prize. .
Old Jun 29th 2007, 7:22 am
Just Joined

certainly not thinking that..... have heard from immigration agent and due to her total lack of knowlwdge about a particular company in Hamilton (she only lives an hour away from the city) we have voted for CHCH.... should be there in november!!!! coming out for a recky trip last week sept 1st week oct... cant wait!
thanks for reply, can you clue me up on good areas, areas to avoid good schools (son aged 12)
thanks for your time.
Old Jun 29th 2007, 7:23 am
Banned

mingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud of

hello out there!
I would choose Queenstown handsdown. I love it! It's just stunning
Old Jun 29th 2007, 7:28 am

thanks for reply, can you clue me up on good areas, areas to avoid good schools (son aged 12)
thanks for your time.
Last night we went to an open house for Heaton Normal Intermediate School. I was quite impressed with the facilities and the work on display done by the students. Heaton draws from Merivale, St Albans, parts of Papanui, Fendalton and the Central City.