Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Which city has the best Waterfront???

Which city has the best Waterfront???

Old Mar 12th 2015, 2:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Tom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond repute
Default Which city has the best Waterfront???

Sitting at a restaurant by the waterfront at Auckland on the viaduct harbour with all those boats, made me think I was somewhere like Cannes or Monaco.

It made me think out of Auckland and Wellington, which city of New Zealand has the best waterfront? One with views you'd never see anywhere else (well may be Sydney) and one that you have such a wide range of restaurants available to sit and enjoy the atmosphere. I can't bring myself round to say either is better than Cape Towns waterfront but my goodness, what luxury!

I haven't visited Tauranga yet so I can't add Tauranga to the list. That is if it has a waterfront there

It is so unbelievable that we can be part of such a fantastic country. The ability for Aucklanders or Wellingtonians to just go out for a bit of lunch - and have views of the waterfront to admire is magical. The ability to eat such fine cuisine as well, and enjoy places that don't serve Tui. Louis Armstrong got it right, we certainly do live in a wonderful world. Thank heavens to be part of a country that has two unbelievably magnificent beautiful city locations. Why on earth would you want to be anywhere else in the world when you have such stunning scenery on your doorstep?
Old Mar 12th 2015, 5:01 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which city has the best Waterfront???

I do love the Auckland waterfront. Lots of great places to eat and looking out over the Hauraki Gulf with a glass of wine, what's not to like. Friends of mine from back home and now living in Brisbane were very impressed with The Viaduct Basin area.

Not sure about the Wellington waterfront as it was pissing down when we were there. Did like the stone used.
Old Mar 12th 2015, 5:19 am
Forum Regular

britsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Which city has the best Waterfront???

Tauranga and Mount Maunganui have amazing waterfronts and the beach at Mt Maunganui is simply stunning. We have moved here from Upper Hutt, Wellington and I just love it. I reckon I was about to throw in the towel in NZ but after moving here, well what can I say? The beaches have golden sand, and go on forever, there is so much to do here we can't fit it all in, weekends are too damn short to take in all this amazing area has to offer. I bloody love it.
Old Mar 12th 2015, 6:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Tauranga by a mile, its simply stunning and natural, Aux and Welly are terrible concrete walkways with no natural views
Old Mar 12th 2015, 7:26 am
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britsinnz
Tauranga and Mount Maunganui have amazing waterfronts and the beach at Mt Maunganui is simply stunning. We have moved here from Upper Hutt, Wellington and I just love it. I reckon I was about to throw in the towel in NZ but after moving here, well what can I say? The beaches have golden sand, and go on forever, there is so much to do here we can't fit it all in, weekends are too damn short to take in all this amazing area has to offer. I bloody love it.

We did the same. Moved up from Tawa, Wellington early November last year & loving it here in the BOP.
Mount Maunganui is awesome. Both the main beach side and Pilot Bay side especially when a cruise ship is leaving. Love doing the walk up or around the Mount.
Tauranga waterfront is awesome if you like a drink/food as it's all bars & restaurants.
Wellington Waterfront is great so long as the weather is ok.
Auckland waterfront is great - very cosmopolitan
Napier waterfront is great but shops, bars, cafe's and restaurants all a block back in the town. Good walk or cycle but the beach is pebbles.
New Plymouth waterfront is very good but it's just a walking path and cycleway with easy access into the town.

Best I've been to probably Sydney for obvious reasons
Old Mar 13th 2015, 10:07 am
BE Forum Addict

barnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond repute

The viaduct in Auckland is lovely and so is the newish area around Silo Park, it's one of the things we miss about living there, had some good boozy sessions around there.

Dunedin's waterfront is possibly the ugliest waterfront I've ever been to, I think it's to do with all the reclaimed land between the lovely city centre and the harbour, the waterfront is just an industrial area. At one time the water was much closer to the city. Thankfully Dunedin has St Clair which is like a small seaside town with an esplanade dotted with bars, restaurants and hotels.

But without doubt the best waterfront I've been to in NZ is Queenstown. It's breathtaking. My Inlaws are over here at the minute and we've just spent 2 nights there. They were blown away that somewhere so stunning is a drive away from our home.
Old Mar 13th 2015, 1:05 pm
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: Which city has the best Waterfront???

Originally Posted by Tom H
Auckland on the viaduct harbour with all those boats, made me think I was somewhere like Cannes or Monaco.
Specsavers.
Old Mar 13th 2015, 10:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

I guess some sunshine, a glass of wine a few billionaire super-yachts parked on the waterfront does make it look somewhat attractive.

This little play thing has been left laying around the harbour over the summer months.

Russian vodka baron's $423m superyacht arrives in NZ - Business - NZ Herald News

Available for hire if you fancy a spin.

SERENE Yacht Charter Price - Fincantieri Luxury Yacht Charter
Old Mar 14th 2015, 12:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Perry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond repute

I like Napier too