Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Citizenship timing 2012

Citizenship timing 2012

Old Jul 4th 2012, 8:38 am
BE Forum Addict

barnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Citizenship timing 2012

Originally Posted by NakiMan
Lets get one thing straight. Citizenship of any country (other than the one of your birth) is NOT a right. Its is a privilege and should be regarded as an honour.

What do you find so offensive about a citizenship ceremony? All that's required is that you go before an official person (usually the local mayor), swear an oath of allegiance to the Queen of New Zealand, undertake to obey the laws of New Zealand and be welcomed as a new citizen with a certificate. The ceremony usually finishes with the singing of the National Anthem and in some areas group photos are published in the local paper.

Whats so offensive about that?
I agree with thedtb, all that pomp and ceremony sounds like hell. I hate pomp and ceremony. It'd be much better to do it online.
Old Jul 4th 2012, 11:02 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

It's not pomp & ceremony. It's a simple , straightforward ceremony with the basics and little in the way of frills or fancies.

It can't be done 'online'. That's not, in essence, what it's about at all. In any case, the paperwork requires more than an on-line form , as you would expect from a country considering having someone accepted as it's new citizen.

Timings of ceremonies can differ from council to council. Here in Tasman I think they are held twice a year or when there is a reasonable amount of people to attend. One needs to RSVP and you can invite guests . Traditional dress is welcomed. Photos are taken as part of remembering the day & a native tree is given. It was all very pleasant and welcoming. No biggy.

Actually, it might have been a biggy for us. Mr BEVS nearly decapitated the Mayor with the flagstaff.
Old Jul 4th 2012, 11:32 am
BE Forum Addict

barnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
Traditional dress is welcomed.:
What's that? Black hoodie, battered black trainers and stain covered black jeans topped off with a scruffy black baseball cap? With each item having one of the following on: Map of New Zealand, Maori pattern, All Blicks, Aotearoa or just New Zealand.
Old Jul 4th 2012, 8:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Caz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond repute

I have to say I really don't understand the anti celebration of being welcomed as a new citizen into a country. As NakiMan said - this is not a right, this is a privilage.

Its something that many people work hard to get the right to be a NZ citizen, especially if they are from a country that is less developed and well off than NZ.

I wonder what the thoughts would be if the process to get a british passport was filling in a form online? The UK have a similar process to NZ:

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/br...ying/ceremony/

I can understand that if someone is just serving out their time in NZ to get the passport and then jump the ditch they would think "what a lot of hassle".

Its a choice whether you want to become a full citizen in NZ, many people don't bother and live her for 20 odd years without bothering, its quite an expensive and another lengthy process - so I think its nice that its rewarded with such a great welcome.

It actually makes me quite mad that people winge about immigrants and not integrating into their country, making an effort, and just after a passport etc, when the immigrants from the UK who go elsewhere sometimes do exactly the same thing.
Old Jul 4th 2012, 8:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Caz8NZ
It actually makes me quite mad that people winge about immigrants and not integrating into their country, making an effort, and just after a passport etc, when the immigrants from the UK who go elsewhere sometimes do exactly the same thing.
Because I'm not one for little ceremonies and forced jollility doesn't mean people like me don't want to integrate into NZ. I'll leave that up to Brits that live on the North Shore!

I think the point of not seeing any point in the ceremony is we're here, we're paying taxes, we're voting, we get healthcare, we can buy property, we can do all the things that an kiwi can do, it took me years to get here and not once did I have to talk with anyone from INZ. So to do the last few percent of becoming a fully fledged kiwi I have to turn up and sing a song and smile. I'm sure there's plenty of you lot love it all, picture in the paper, shaking hands with strangers, fake smiles and pleasantries, it doesn't really float my boat.

Bloody Immigrants!
Old Jul 5th 2012, 2:16 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by barnsleymat
Because I'm not one for little ceremonies and forced jollility doesn't mean people like me don't want to integrate into NZ. I'll leave that up to Brits that live on the North Shore!

I think the point of not seeing any point in the ceremony is we're here, we're paying taxes, we're voting, we get healthcare, we can buy property, we can do all the things that an kiwi can do, it took me years to get here and not once did I have to talk with anyone from INZ. So to do the last few percent of becoming a fully fledged kiwi I have to turn up and sing a song and smile. I'm sure there's plenty of you lot love it all, picture in the paper, shaking hands with strangers, fake smiles and pleasantries, it doesn't really float my boat.

Bloody Immigrants!
I find that rather insulting. I certainly didn't want my picture in the paper and I certainly didn't view it as being some flippant ceremony. I approached it with similar feelings to my wedding day, that is, excited, somewhat nervous not to fluff my lines, happy but also serious (thankfully it was much cheaper than our wedding & took far less planning!). For me it was about making a commitment to NZ, so the smiles were real, I shook hands with the mayor & no-one else. Had a cup of tea, was given a plant & that was it.

There were no more than 30 of us, no enforced jollity, a message from the governor-general & it was all over in an hour or so. All quite painless.
Old Jul 5th 2012, 2:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Caz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond repute

I think the point of not seeing any point in the ceremony is we're here, we're paying taxes, we're voting, we get healthcare, we can buy property, we can do all the things that an kiwi can do,
I don't like to cut and paste really but I can't phrase this much better!

Responsibilities and Privileges
Becoming a New Zealand citizen means you will undertake responsibilities and you will enjoy the same privileges of a person born in New Zealand. You must be aware of these responsibilities and privileges.

Responsibilities

To obey and promote the laws of New Zealand (this includes registration as a voter and fulfilment of tax obligations).
Not to act in a way that is against the interests of New Zealand.

Privileges
  • The right to enter and remain in New Zealand at any time without an immigration permit.
  • The right to a New Zealand passport (which entitles holders to visa-free travel to a range of countries).
  • The ability to seek assistance from New Zealand diplomatic representatives when travelling overseas.
  • Full economic rights:
    Some public service positions may only be held by New Zealand citizens;
  • Ownership of rural land is difficult for people who are not New Zealand citizens.
  • Full access to education:
    Only New Zealand citizens qualify for some subsidised fees, scholarships and awards. In addition, only New Zealand citizens may qualify for financial assistance from some overseas universities.
  • Access to international sport:
    Some sports require that international players are citizens of the country they represent.
Old Jul 5th 2012, 2:39 am
`

What's that? Black hoodie, battered black trainers and stain covered black jeans topped off with a scruffy black baseball cap? With each item having one of the following on: Map of New Zealand, Maori pattern, All Blicks, Aotearoa or just New Zealand.
If that's what you are comfy in and it suits you BM ,why not. It would rather suit your persona as a wind up merchant.
Old Jul 5th 2012, 3:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Caz8NZ
I don't like to cut and paste really but I can't phrase this much better!

Responsibilities and Privileges
Becoming a New Zealand citizen means you will undertake responsibilities and you will enjoy the same privileges of a person born in New Zealand. You must be aware of these responsibilities and privileges.

Responsibilities

To obey and promote the laws of New Zealand (this includes registration as a voter and fulfilment of tax obligations).
Not to act in a way that is against the interests of New Zealand.

Privileges
  • The right to enter and remain in New Zealand at any time without an immigration permit.
  • The right to a New Zealand passport (which entitles holders to visa-free travel to a range of countries).
  • The ability to seek assistance from New Zealand diplomatic representatives when travelling overseas.
  • Full economic rights:
    Some public service positions may only be held by New Zealand citizens;
  • Ownership of rural land is difficult for people who are not New Zealand citizens.
  • Full access to education:
    Only New Zealand citizens qualify for some subsidised fees, scholarships and awards. In addition, only New Zealand citizens may qualify for financial assistance from some overseas universities.
  • Access to international sport:
    Some sports require that international players are citizens of the country they represent.

So not much really. Unless I get an offer I can't refuse to go work in Aus I'll not be bothering I don't reckon.
Old Jul 5th 2012, 6:39 am
`

So not much really. Unless I get an offer I can't refuse to go work in Aus I'll not be bothering I don't reckon.
I know what it is. You are tone deaf and can't sing.
Old Jul 5th 2012, 6:48 am
BE Forum Addict

I know what it is. You are tone deaf and can't sing.
You don't know how true that is, I'm still thinking about auditioning for New Zealands Got Talent though and I reckon I've still got a decent chance of winning!
Old Jul 11th 2012, 9:16 am
Forum Regular

thedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of light

Don't bother applying then.

If your application is accepted by the Dept of Internal Affairs & you want to receive your citizenship certificate then you must attend the ceremony. End of.
It's entirely unnecessary to have to attend a ceremony. I'd much rather it be something that can be sorted either by post (preferable) or from opposite sides of a desk. No fuss.

...a privilege and should be regarded as an honour.
I think you should get out more.

Could I stay here long enough to qualify and ultimately contemplate becoming an NZ citizen? Yes. But it would only be as a matter of convenience and/or opportunity (moreso for my kids than I). Would I feel honoured to be an NZ citizen? No.

What do you find so offensive about a citizenship ceremony? All that's required is that you go before an official person (usually the local mayor), swear an oath of allegiance to the Queen of New Zealand, undertake to obey the laws of New Zealand and be welcomed as a new citizen with a certificate. The ceremony usually finishes with the singing of the National Anthem and in some areas group photos are published in the local paper.

Whats so offensive about that?
It's not that I find it offensive per se, I just view it as entirely unnecessary and as I've said above, I'd much rather it be something that can be organised by post.

I also think it's a little pathetic that as a Brit, you suggest I'd have to swear an oath of allegiance to the "Queen of New Zealand"... and would me not having broken any laws in the time I'd been in New Zealand not be testimony to the fact that I "obey" them?

As for singing the National Anthem... I refuse to sing it in the school hall each week, (despite "encouraging" glares from the school principle )... the wife and I were discussing this recently actually, she's a teacher and often leads the kids in singing along to it. I explained to her that my view is that it isn't my National Anthem... until she pointed out that I couldn't actually sing 'our own' National Anthem if I wanted to because I don't know the words.

But then, I couldn't really care less about singing either anthem!

That being said - and whilst we're on the point - I do actually quite like that the kids sing the National Anthem at school. Moreover, I do actually quite like the New Zealand National Anthem (to me it sounds a little like a Christmas Carol).

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix
I feel very priviledged to hold duel citizenship.
I just wouldn't feel that way. I can see that holding duel citizenship would potentially be beneficial for my kids as they grow up, but apart from that, I couldn't really care less for it.

Because I'm not one for little ceremonies and forced jollility doesn't mean people like me don't want to integrate into NZ.
I agree. Despite my apparent negativity above, I'm far more integrated within my local community here in NZ than I ever remotely contemplated (or would have ever contemplated) back in the UK.

I actually love my life here in NZ, but it's served to prove to me that should I return to live in the UK (which I have no doubt we will do) I can be more active in the community and enjoy a wider circle of friends than I ever enjoyed before I left the UK.

It doesn't just not float my boat. It virtually sinks it. The prospect of a ceremony etc just disappoints me. I just don't want, and really can't be bothered with the fuss of it all.

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix
I approached it with similar feelings to my wedding day...
I stopped reading at that point because I was too busy considering whether I should laugh at you or cry for you.

Seriously?

My wedding day, was (with an entirely intended cliche) absolutely the best day of my life. With the exception of the arrival of each of my three kids, nothing has since, and I know nothing ever will, come close to what I experienced that day.

The prospect of becoming an NZ Citizen couldn't possibly compare.
Old Jul 11th 2012, 9:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Boopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boopy
My son applied end of January this year, got acceptance letter early June & awaiting a date for the ceremony
Just heard from my son he has his date for the ceremony (in welly). He had botched up his form which was eventually sent back to him. From sending this 2nd application in to ceremony is 6 weeks.
Old Jul 11th 2012, 11:17 am
BE Forum Addict

helinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boopy
Just heard from my son he has his date for the ceremony (in welly). He had botched up his form which was eventually sent back to him. From sending this 2nd application in to ceremony is 6 weeks.
well done to him.
Old Jul 12th 2012, 12:25 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thedtb

I stopped reading at that point because I was too busy considering whether I should laugh at you or cry for you.

Seriously?

My wedding day, was (with an entirely intended cliche) absolutely the best day of my life. With the exception of the arrival of each of my three kids, nothing has since, and I know nothing ever will, come close to what I experienced that day.

The prospect of becoming an NZ Citizen couldn't possibly compare.
I think you've taken me rather too literally but I guess that happens with the written word. I was merely trying to get across that the citizenship ceremony is a serious ceremony & not all about piccies in the paper etc. I failed obviously .

I quite enjoyed my wedding day too (though my Mother did rather take it over but hey, the parents were paying), though I think the day itself is something of an anti-climax after all the prep.

Having just celebrated our 25th wedding anniversary on the island of Aitutaki, I wish we'd got married away from all the palaver. I actually enjoyed that more than my wedding day.

So you may laugh at me if you wish but please, please don't shed any tears

BTW, as we are both republicans we had to cross our fingers when swearing allegiance to the queen

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.