Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Citizenship timing 2012

Citizenship timing 2012

Old Jul 2nd 2012, 11:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

helinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Citizenship timing 2012

Has anyone applied for NZ citizenship this year?
I was wondering what the waiting time for acceptance and then the citizenship ceremony is?

We are hoping to submit the forms in October and looking at holiday travel in the new year. I have read the old posts on BE that passports are taken so not to plan travel for 6 months?
Any recent experiences with this please share
Thanks
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 5:06 am
Stoke City fanatic

nelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Citizenship timing 2012

Originally Posted by helinuk
I was wondering what the waiting time for acceptance and then the citizenship ceremony is?

We are hoping to submit the forms in October and looking at holiday travel in the new year. I have read the old posts on BE that passports are taken so not to plan travel for 6 months?
Thanks
Hi we had similar situation but let them know in advance and they returned our passports to us within a week, not a problem just ring them
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 7:14 am
BE Enthusiast

nero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond repute

We went into the office and had an interview where we handed over all our documents so they could copy them. We then left the building with all our documents including our passports. That was two weeks ago and we should know something in another 4 weeks.

We have friends that also went through the same process in April and they will be attending their Citizenship Ceremony in one weeks time. So in Auckland you are looking at 2-3 months (from start to finish)
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 9:31 am
Forum Regular

thedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of light

What is a Citizenship Ceremony?

Today there were some photos in the local newspaper of "New Citizens" who were posing with the Town Mayor.

I'm potentially interested in staying in NZ long enough to get citizenship, but I'm certainly not interested in a "ceremony", nor do I have any desire to have my photo published in the local (or indeed any) newspaper.

I heard somewhere along the line that you have to sing the NZ National Anthem at such a ceremony... really? Because if being granted citizenship hangs on the requirement of being able to sing the National Anthem, I'll not bother applying.
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 11:37 am
BE Forum Addict

cappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thedtb

Today there were some photos in the local newspaper of "New Citizens" who were posing with the Town Mayor.

I'm potentially interested in staying in NZ long enough to get citizenship, but I'm certainly not interested in a "ceremony", nor do I have any desire to have my photo published in the local (or indeed any) newspaper.

I heard somewhere along the line that you have to sing the NZ National Anthem at such a ceremony... really? Because if being granted citizenship hangs on the requirement of being able to sing the National Anthem, I'll not bother applying.
And swear your allegiance to the queen
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 8:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Caz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I believe there are all sorts of formalities to go through - the idea being that you would be pleased and proud to be a NZ citizen....you would have been living in the country for a long time and paid a lot of money for the privilege so I think that most people who apply put up with the hardship of the congratulatory process
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 8:36 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Anuptik
Simple guide to applying for or renewing a UK passport:
1. Download and print out the application form and the passport fee sheet [PDF 166KB, opens in new window]
2. Download and print out the relevant checklist
3. Prepare the documents to support your application. See our guide to supporting documents [PDF 512KB, opens in new window]
4. Enclose two identical passport photographs, taken within the last month
5. Lodge your application with New Zealand Post.
But You should apply at least 6 weeks before travel. they get your passport back to you within 3-4 weeks, but this does not take into account any possible delays in the postage courier system.So contact local passport making office.

not asking about renewing passport but thanks anyway
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 8:39 pm
Stoke City fanatic

nelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Anuptik
Simple guide to applying for or renewing a UK passport:
1. Download and print out the application form and the passport fee sheet [PDF 166KB, opens in new window]
2. Download and print out the relevant checklist
3. Prepare the documents to support your application. See our guide to supporting documents [PDF 512KB, opens in new window]
4. Enclose two identical passport photographs, taken within the last month
5. Lodge your application with New Zealand Post.
But You should apply at least 6 weeks before travel. they get your passport back to you within 3-4 weeks, but this does not take into account any possible delays in the postage courier system.So contact local passport making office.
Think you are on wrong thread
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 11:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Boopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by helinuk

Thanks
My son applied end of January this year, got acceptance letter early June & awaiting a date for the ceremony
Old Jul 4th 2012, 12:26 am
BE Forum Addict

helinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond repute

thanks everyone :-)

Anyone applied from Wellington and Tauranga ?

Last edited by helinuk; Jul 4th 2012 at 12:28 am.
Old Jul 4th 2012, 1:09 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Because if being granted citizenship hangs on the requirement of being able to sing the National Anthem, I'll not bother applying.
Don't bother applying then.

If your application is accepted by the Dept of Internal Affairs & you want to receive your citizenship certificate then you must attend the ceremony. End of.
Old Jul 4th 2012, 1:32 am
Enjoying retirement

NakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to behold

Lets get one thing straight. Citizenship of any country (other than the one of your birth) is NOT a right. Its is a privilege and should be regarded as an honour.

What do you find so offensive about a citizenship ceremony? All that's required is that you go before an official person (usually the local mayor), swear an oath of allegiance to the Queen of New Zealand, undertake to obey the laws of New Zealand and be welcomed as a new citizen with a certificate. The ceremony usually finishes with the singing of the National Anthem and in some areas group photos are published in the local paper.

Whats so offensive about that?
Old Jul 4th 2012, 2:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Caz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
Don't bother applying then.

If your application is accepted by the Dept of Internal Affairs & you want to receive your citizenship certificate then you must attend the ceremony. End of.
Originally Posted by NakiMan
Lets get one thing straight. Citizenship of any country (other than the one of your birth) is NOT a right. Its is a privilege and should be regarded as an honour.

What do you find so offensive about a citizenship ceremony? All that's required is that you go before an official person (usually the local mayor), swear an oath of allegiance to the Queen of New Zealand, undertake to obey the laws of New Zealand and be welcomed as a new citizen with a certificate. The ceremony usually finishes with the singing of the National Anthem and in some areas group photos are published in the local paper.

Whats so offensive about that?
Old Jul 4th 2012, 4:18 am
BE Forum Addict

I'll be happy attending a ceremony and tea. I love singing the national anthem( in our school assembly) it has beautiful words. It's a fitting way to end 5 years as PR and start a new phase here as citizens
- I know PRR mean indefinate right to return but I'll feel more secure as a citizen -and I look forward to being able to walk through the 'NZ citizen' lane at the airport !
Old Jul 4th 2012, 4:38 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

We really enjoyed our citizenship ceremony. I felt very proud to be accepted as a citizen of NZ. We had a photo taken but it was sent to us & we never appeared in the paper either. I feel very priviledged to hold duel citizenship.

Best of luck Helinuk

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.