Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Citizenship Question

Citizenship Question

Old Oct 30th 2013, 8:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Spacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Citizenship Question

Anyone recently applied for their citizenship that can tell me the process.
Once the appointment is made to submit the forms. Do they give you an indication there and then whether it will go through.
In Auckland, how long from submitting forms to ceremony? I assume you apply for your passport after that?
Finally, if you leave after 5 years without getting citizenship and come back at a later date do the 5 years start again?
Old Oct 30th 2013, 8:32 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: Citizenship Question

This may help if you haven't already seen it.
Old Oct 31st 2013, 5:09 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Hi M'lady,
Just had the "ceremony invite" letter so a bit excited. Process for me:
Call up Internal Affairs, they call back and arrange meeting with case officer, you do forms and photos and take in to local office, meet officer and they check all off including signing photos, (in my case there was a problem here so I had to wait for a few more months), then pay the cash and in about 2 weeks you get a letter to say it's being processed, then another month for letter to let you know when and where to collect certificate.
Ceremony is second week of November, I think I had appointment in September, but I had already done almost everything a year beforehand. So might be different.
As far as going away beforehand I think you have to satisfy the criteria for being in NZ over the previous 2-3 years??? According to IAffairs:
New Zealand residence
‘New Zealand residence’ means you have a residence permit, a residence visa, or a permanent residence visa issued by Immigration New Zealand or you are an Australian citizen or permanent resident.

Please Note: If you can show that there are exceptional circumstances that warrant a reduction, you may be considered as long as you have a minimum presence in New Zealand of 450 days with New Zealand residence in the 20 months before you make your application.
Good luck, doesn't seem like 5 minutes ago when we met at Michelle and Carl's place 6 (or so) years ago.....LL
Old Oct 31st 2013, 8:12 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lardyl
Good luck, doesn't seem like 5 minutes ago when we met at Michelle and Carl's place 6 (or so) years ago.....LL
Bloomin' 'eck that feels like a lifetime ago to me
Old Oct 31st 2013, 8:20 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix
Well sometimes I feel like that too, A, hope all is well with you down the 'insular!
Old Oct 31st 2013, 11:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Spacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi M'lady,
Just had the "ceremony invite" letter so a bit excited. Process for me:
Call up Internal Affairs, they call back and arrange meeting with case officer, you do forms and photos and take in to local office, meet officer and they check all off including signing photos, (in my case there was a problem here so I had to wait for a few more months), then pay the cash and in about 2 weeks you get a letter to say it's being processed, then another month for letter to let you know when and where to collect certificate.
Ceremony is second week of November, I think I had appointment in September, but I had already done almost everything a year beforehand. So might be different.
As far as going away beforehand I think you have to satisfy the criteria for being in NZ over the previous 2-3 years??? According to IAffairs:

Hi,
Thanks so much for this.
Just to add a bit more. It's my daughter who's applying. She will be 19, she has been a permanent resident for the five years. Would there be any reason she couldn't apply? Obviously she has missed the November ceremony as she has not yet made her appointment.
My husband left a month before the five years. That said he still works for his NZ company. I wondered if that would have any bearing for us.

Thanks again
Old Oct 31st 2013, 8:44 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Well sometimes I feel like that too, A, hope all is well with you down the 'insular!
Tis fine down this end. Hope all is well up your end

Sorry I can't help with your question Spacecake you could try PM'ing JAJ. He's very helpful on such matters.
Old Oct 31st 2013, 9:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tis fine down this end. Hope all is well up your end

Sorry I can't help with your question Spacecake you could try PM'ing JAJ. He's very helpful on such matters.
Thanks, she will soon find out. She will make an appointment next week. As for us, if we return we will ask questions then.
Old Nov 2nd 2013, 5:13 am
you dewty owld maan!

Originally Posted by Spacecake799
Thanks, she will soon find out. She will make an appointment next week. As for us, if we return we will ask questions then.
Yeah I'm stumped on that too.
I suspect that there are ceremonies around here every few months - there's a few photography websites that show ceremonies and the dates, I looked there as I was wondering what to wear,
If you can place the location you should be able to get frequency.
But I bet there will be fewer around and after Christmas, summer shutdown and all that.
Good luck to you all
Old Nov 2nd 2013, 5:19 am
you dewty owld maan!

Just fired a message off to Carl, they are in Brissy now.
Old Nov 2nd 2013, 2:47 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Spacecake799
Hi,
Thanks so much for this.
Just to add a bit more. It's my daughter who's applying. She will be 19, she has been a permanent resident for the five years. Would there be any reason she couldn't apply? Obviously she has missed the November ceremony as she has not yet made her appointment.
Look at http://www.citizenship.govt.nz
It shows the requirements, etc - is there any reason why you think she does not meet these? Also note, she's an adult and will be assessed independently, so she's the one who should be asking the questions, really.

My husband left a month before the five years. That said he still works for his NZ company. I wondered if that would have any bearing for us.
Depends on the circumstances. Perhaps look at the requirements:
http://www.dia.govt.nz/Services-Citi...p?OpenDocument

If he works through the requirements, and thinks he still has a case, then perhaps make an application. It may be refused, however if he does not apply then obviously there is a 0% chance of success.

The operations manual is also on the website, perhaps look at this when making any case for special circumstances.

Also, in response to post #7 - please don't PM me, I generally do not respond to PMs.