Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

This citizenship malarky

This citizenship malarky

Old Feb 18th 2009, 4:48 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Unhappy This citizenship malarky

[rant]
I have to wait an additional six months for my application to be processed...yes, because of course we can all live without our papers for six months .

I'm tired of the whole torrid affair and I've not even had to learn the words to the anthem yet . Is there any way round this? I'd have thought her maj. would have been pleased enough that I was going to loyal to the crown without swearing another oath given I was born in England as where my parents and their parents before them (and so on) .

Is it even citizenship? I thought we where all subjects.
[/rant]
Old Feb 18th 2009, 7:19 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: This citizenship malarky

Originally Posted by Charismatic
[rant]
I have to wait an additional six months for my application to be processed...yes, because of course we can all live without our papers for six months .

I'm tired of the whole torrid affair and I've not even had to learn the words to the anthem yet . Is there any way round this? I'd have thought her maj. would have been pleased enough that I was going to loyal to the crown without swearing another oath given I was born in England as where my parents and their parents before them (and so on) .

[/rant]
You have chosen, I presume, in other words not been forced, to live in NZ? So grow up and get on with it ...

NZ owes you Jack Squit for you having chosen to come here.

Be grateful for the opportunity, there are many, many people who would love to be in your shoes ...
Old Feb 18th 2009, 7:45 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: This citizenship malarky

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
NZ owes you Jack Squit
You wouldn't say that if you'd seen my tax records ...

Be grateful for the opportunity, there are many, many people who would love to be in your shoes ...
North Koreans?

Serously though one of the things I like about New Zealand is that it's so easy to move here. You only have to prove that your going to be a good, productive citizen and you'll easily get PR. What more could any country ask for though I suppose?
Old Feb 18th 2009, 7:58 am

You wouldn't say that if you'd seen my tax records ...

North Koreans?

Serously though one of the things I like about New Zealand is that it's so easy to move here. You only have to prove that your going to be a good, productive citizen and you'll easily get PR. What more could any country ask for though I suppose?
Ahh, my little petal of pessimism - you seemed to have joined BE in July last year. Since when you have posted in the Middle East forum. On the 16th February ( a whole 3 days ago) you started posting here in the NZ forum. And yet here you are talking about, among other things, changing the flag, racism, extra-curricula activities for kids and citizenship ...

Maybe you'd like to post on the Introductions thread and fill the rest of us in on who are you are and how you got here, how long you've been here, where you live etc, etc ...

It is NOT easy to move to NZ, perhaps if you had taken the time to read some of the personal stories on here you would know that. Maybe you are one of the lucky ones who came in on a skilled migrant visa or by a partnership visa - we don't know. But it's still not exactly easy. I'm married to a Kiwi and we have 4 kids together (I know, strange but true ...) and even I had to pay for medicals and blood tests and "apply" and could have been turned down if I wasn't so darn fit () despite my Hubby & 4 kids being NZ citizens.

And, please, explain how anyone proves they are going to be "good and productive"
Old Feb 18th 2009, 8:19 am
Truth is the safest lie.

And, please, explain how anyone proves they are going to be "good and productive"
Financial resources, clean criminal records, job offer and a degree basically .
Old Feb 18th 2009, 8:25 am

Nicely side stepped my other comments ...

Am tired ...........

(Not of you, sorry that came out wrong, just of the hour!)

Ok, that's funny, now see you're creating an Introductions thread!

Last edited by Am Loolah; Feb 18th 2009 at 8:27 am. Reason: Intro Thread made me laugh!
Old Feb 18th 2009, 8:26 am
Forum Regular

Liz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud of

.....but incapable of learning the words to an anthem!
Old Feb 18th 2009, 8:53 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Ok, that's funny, now see you're creating an Introductions thread!
Yes, all done (less some edits no doubt).

Originally Posted by Liz & Co
.....but incapable of learning the words to an anthem!
I know the tune . Can you just do it in English?
Old Feb 18th 2009, 9:00 am
BE Enthusiast

CAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of light

Well, in 2.5 years we will have been here for 5 years. So I understand and we can get something from this thread, in order to be a citizen I need to know the words to the anthem and that it takes six months during which time I will not have my passport. Is that correct?
Old Feb 18th 2009, 9:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CAN2NZ
Well, in 2.5 years we will have been here for 5 years. So I understand and we can get something from this thread, in order to be a citizen I need to know the words to the anthem and that it takes six months during which time I will not have my passport. Is that correct?
Sod it then if that's the case I am off back to the UK.
Old Feb 18th 2009, 9:19 am
Truth is the safest lie.

So I understand and we can get something from this thread, in order to be a citizen I need to know the words to the anthem and that it takes six months during which time I will not have my passport. Is that correct?
Yes, but there is only a delay if lots of people apply (apparently).

Here is how it works: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oath_of...p_(New_Zealand)
Old Feb 18th 2009, 9:25 am
CPW
BE Enthusiast

CPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond repute

[rant]
[/rant]
Huh? The primary status of people connected with the UK has been as "citizen" since the British Nationality Act 1948 came into effect in 1949. In New Zealand the change dates from exactly the same time (i.e. 60 years ago — a good while ago now).

New Zealand citizenship and British citizenship are entirely separate entities: both countries happen to share the same head of state, but that's not relevant to the requirements for citizenship in either case.
Old Feb 18th 2009, 9:26 am
Forum Regular

over50 is just really niceover50 is just really niceover50 is just really niceover50 is just really niceover50 is just really niceover50 is just really niceover50 is just really niceover50 is just really niceover50 is just really niceover50 is just really niceover50 is just really nice

I thought the NZ Anthem was sung in both English and Maori and besides surely if you wanted to take citizenship you would be willing to conform to the custom/culture of the country even if it was just only to gain citizenship!
If you want something badly enough you will be willing to do what it takes and wait obviously this is not at the top of your list of priorities or seen to be important enough for you, which is a shame as you obviously took lengthy measures to gain entry into New Zealand in the first place.
Old Feb 18th 2009, 9:48 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Originally Posted by over50
I thought the NZ Anthem was sung in both English and Maori
Right you are!

besides surely if you wanted to take citizenship you would be willing to conform to the custom/culture of the country even if it was just only to gain citizenship!.
Does that mean I have to turn up in a Mazda Familia with a big exhaust and scratched alloy wheels? Maybe wear a hooded sweatshirt?

If you want something badly enough you will be willing to do what it takes
I'm in the system awaiting processing . I just question the point of the ceremony part?

Mind you going to a ceremony has always made me feel more like I wanted to be a "good citizen" .
Old Feb 18th 2009, 10:54 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

No. It is not correct.

You will not be without your passports for 6 months although you will be without them for a while. Should you need your passports whilst they finish processing the application, then they will return them to you pronto.

I will be able to tell you all about this more fully in a couple of weeks time

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.