Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Citizenship Ceremony-Orewa

Citizenship Ceremony-Orewa

Old Nov 24th 2009, 10:26 pm
Forum Regular

NZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to behold
Default Citizenship Ceremony-Orewa

Yes Ive been practicing my singing

Yes I have my union jack shorts and knotted Hankie (national dress required)

Yes I will be moving to Oz as soon as the passports are delivered (joking)

Anyone else on the 1st of December in Orewa?
Old Nov 25th 2009, 3:17 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Citizenship Ceremony-Orewa

Originally Posted by NZGrl
Yes Ive been practicing my singing

Yes I have my union jack shorts and knotted Hankie (national dress required)

Yes I will be moving to Oz as soon as the passports are delivered (joking)

Anyone else on the 1st of December in Orewa?
How exciting! Want to see the piccies. Enjoy the day

Not yet, we're applying in Feb. We'll have been here 3 years then.
Old Nov 25th 2009, 8:39 am
BE Enthusiast

alanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix
How exciting! Want to see the piccies. Enjoy the day

Not yet, we're applying in Feb. We'll have been here 3 years then.
I thought it was 5 years for citizenship?
Old Nov 25th 2009, 8:12 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alanmacc
I thought it was 5 years for citizenship?
It is but we got our PR in Jan 2005. I hated NZ on our first go at immigrating & only stayed for 3 months . Love it this time around though
Old Nov 25th 2009, 8:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

pricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond repute

i'm almost at the point of thinking maybe I just might go for citizenship.
I've been here 10 years so looks pretty permanent!

Good luck on Saturday...how very exciting.
I was reading the oath the other day...so strange swearing allegiance to the queen when she's your own queen anyway. Although I never swore allegiance to her there so she can't make me do her bidding yet.

An argentinian friend found the queen bit very odd

I like the way that it is secular though, that you can swear to almight God or make a solemn vow or summat
Old Dec 1st 2009, 1:24 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pricklykina
i'm almost at the point of thinking maybe I just might go for citizenship.
I've been here 10 years so looks pretty permanent!

Good luck on Saturday...how very exciting.
I was reading the oath the other day...so strange swearing allegiance to the queen when she's your own queen anyway.
Oath is to the Queen of New Zealand, not the Queen of the United Kingdom.
Old Dec 1st 2009, 3:21 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
Oath is to the Queen of New Zealand, not the Queen of the United Kingdom.
Which, incidentally, is the same queen as the UK?
Old Dec 1st 2009, 6:28 pm
Enjoying retirement

NakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Charismatic
yep. Same person, different role
Old Dec 2nd 2009, 9:00 am
BE Enthusiast

pricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond repute

different hat too I think...the blue with the ostrich feathers
Old Dec 2nd 2009, 12:33 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Same person, but different office.

Bear in mind that the Oath on becoming a citizen is not to the Queen personally, but to the Crown of New Zealand (which is not the same as the Crown in the United Kingdom).
Old Dec 2nd 2009, 6:29 pm
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute

Thought it was directly to her and her heirs/successors?

Could be legally messy if NZ ever split from the common wealth .
Old Dec 3rd 2009, 1:15 am
JAJ
Retired

Thought it was directly to her and her heirs/successors?
In the capacity of Crown of New Zealand. If the Crown of New Zealand were to be occupied by a different person, or New Zealand became a republic, one's allegiance as a New Zealand citizen would alter accordingly.