Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Citizenship Ceremony

Citizenship Ceremony

Old Jul 24th 2007, 10:51 pm

Beachcombers is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Citizenship Ceremony

Has anyone gone for citizenship? What was the day like? Do you get anything? Did you have to do anything werid, sing the national anthem, do the Haka?
Old Jul 24th 2007, 11:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

kwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Citizenship Ceremony

Originally Posted by Beachcombers
Has anyone gone for citizenship? What was the day like? Do you get anything? Did you have to do anything werid, sing the national anthem, do the Haka?
you get a pot plant!!!

I have no idea actually but a brit guy I talk to on the train is due to his soon and he told me you get a pot plant
Old Jul 24th 2007, 11:52 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

I'm also interested in this.
Old Jul 25th 2007, 1:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Woodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.dia.govt.nz/diawebsite.ns...s?OpenDocument

Sounds like fun!!

I suppose you do the Affirmation as opposed to the Oath if you are non religious.

I wonder if you have to sing both versions of the National Anthem (I only sing when I'm drunk) - still I suppose it can't be as bad as that poor woman at the netball on Saturday.
Old Jul 25th 2007, 1:26 am
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kwprwn
you get a pot plant!!!

I have no idea actually but a brit guy I talk to on the train is due to his soon and he told me you get a pot plant

A plant in a pot, or a pot plant?

Old Jul 25th 2007, 1:29 am
BE Forum Addict

UKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RobClubley

Old Jul 25th 2007, 3:12 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Woodlea
I suppose you do the Affirmation as opposed to the Oath if you are non religious.
If you prefer. You don't have to give a reason.

Some religious people (eg Quakers, historically) may also prefer not to take an oath.
Old Jul 25th 2007, 3:31 am
BE Forum Addict

kwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by RobClubley

I dont know he didnt specify but as we live in the green city of waitakere it could well be a pot plant, but i suspect it is the boring one being a plant in a pot
Old Jul 28th 2007, 3:27 am
Forum Regular

westiepom is a name known to allwestiepom is a name known to allwestiepom is a name known to allwestiepom is a name known to allwestiepom is a name known to allwestiepom is a name known to allwestiepom is a name known to allwestiepom is a name known to allwestiepom is a name known to allwestiepom is a name known to allwestiepom is a name known to all

We had our citizenship ceremony in Waitakere the year before last and sadly ( ! ) it was a native plant we were given.
It was a lovely occasion. Loads of poeple being "done" at the same time and we had the choice of swearing alliegance to the queen or god.
There were a few speaches made by different councellors and other important people..... oooh and we got tea and biscuits too.
Old Jul 28th 2007, 3:50 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by westiepom
It was a lovely occasion. Loads of poeple being "done" at the same time and we had the choice of swearing alliegance to the queen or god.
In fact the choice is swearing or affirming allegiance to the Queen of New Zealand.
Old Jul 29th 2007, 1:47 am
Account Closed

AnnieNell is an unknown quantity at this point

Who do you swear allegiance to if your an atheist & a republican?
Old Jul 29th 2007, 4:21 am
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by AnnieNell
Who do you swear allegiance to if your an atheist & a republican?
Once again. You do not have to swear anything if you don't want to. You may take an affirmation instead.

As for being a republican, the oath/affirmation is not to the Queen as an individual, but to the Queen of New Zealand whose office represents New Zealand's democratic institutions of government.

If that's such a problem for you, then it's hard to see why you should have chosen to settle in a constitutional monarchy in the first place.

In any case, no oath/affirmation, no citizenship. Simple as that.
Old Jul 31st 2007, 5:35 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by JAJ
Once again. You do not have to swear anything if you don't want to. You may take an affirmation instead.

As for being a republican, the oath/affirmation is not to the Queen as an individual, but to the Queen of New Zealand whose office represents New Zealand's democratic institutions of government.

If that's such a problem for you, then it's hard to see why you should have chosen to settle in a constitutional monarchy in the first place.

In any case, no oath/affirmation, no citizenship. Simple as that.
It was a genuine question, nothing more, nothing less. I have nothing against the Queen & co but believe that such a system is outdated in the 21st Century. It's not a huge problem as I would take such an affirmation if I decided to go for citizenship. Just don't have to mean it

Afterall, I promised to obey my OH when we got married 20 yrs ago & he's still waiting for me to do so

Thanks for the info.
Old Jul 31st 2007, 5:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Bellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AnnieNell
It was a genuine question, nothing more, nothing less. I have nothing against the Queen & co but believe that such a system is outdated in the 21st Century. It's not a huge problem as I would take such an affirmation if I decided to go for citizenship. Just don't have to mean it

Afterall, I promised to obey my OH when we got married 20 yrs ago & he's still waiting for me to do so

Thanks for the info.
I mean this in the very kindest way Annie, but I had a real chuckle at your post. Promising to obey your husband, now that seems really outdated to me, and certainly a promise I would also struggle to keep.

THe oath/affirmation relates to the responsibilities of citizenship

To obey and promote the laws of New Zealand (this includes registration as a voter and fulfilment of tax obligations).

Not to act in a way that is against the interests of New Zealand.

Apparantly not obeying husbands is not considered to be against the interests of NZ
Old Jul 31st 2007, 6:20 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Bellasmum
I mean this in the very kindest way Annie, but I had a real chuckle at your post. Promising to obey your husband, now that seems really outdated to me, and certainly a promise I would also struggle to keep.

THe oath/affirmation relates to the responsibilities of citizenship

To obey and promote the laws of New Zealand (this includes registration as a voter and fulfilment of tax obligations).

Not to act in a way that is against the interests of New Zealand.

Apparantly not obeying husbands is not considered to be against the interests of NZ
It was the vicars's choice to put the obey in, but I had my fingers crossed behind my back when I said it

Looks like I could be a model citizen then

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.