Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Citizenship Ceremony

Citizenship Ceremony

Old Jul 1st 2005, 3:11 am
Forum Regular

xpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nice
Default Citizenship Ceremony

Well we made it !!

It was a lovely ceremony & I just about managed to stay dry eyed, lots of
different nationalities taking their vows, Fijian, Cambodian, even a coupla
Poms. Also a beautiful Chinese woman who we're comvinced must have been mail order.......... well - if you'd seen her huusband !!!
Some reference was made to rugby, and Lions which confused me no end as we
don't have many lions roaming Bristol apart from in the zoo.

We were all given a native plant at the end of all the hand shaking / nose
rubbing which was a lovely touch...... son said I only went for the plant, he can talk, he made the most of the unlimited biscuits & o juice after the formalities !!
Old Jul 1st 2005, 3:30 am
Franklin

Default Re: Citizenship Ceremony

Originally Posted by xpat19
Well we made it !!

Poms. Also a beautiful Chinese woman who we're comvinced must have been mail order.......... well - if you'd seen her huusband !!!

rubbing which was a lovely touch...... son said I only went for the plant, he can talk, he made the most of the unlimited biscuits & o juice after the formalities !!
A heart warming description of a clearly very moving event. Many congrats to you. Thanks for sharing ... you remind me of my citizenship ceremony ... the memories are flooding back ... was a great day.

Old Jul 1st 2005, 4:17 am
Mrs Shep USCIS Graduate

shepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond repute

Well we made it !!

Lol re your comments re the mail order bride thing, Im sure I would have felt the same had I been there & seen it for myself. Guess maybe thats a woman thing huh
Old Jul 1st 2005, 9:18 am

P18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond repute

Citizenship ceremony! That's one I haven't been told about. Does this relate to a specific visa entry type? Any other details about it where, when etc. Sounds like it might be an excuse for a party when we get there.
Old Jul 1st 2005, 9:25 am
Give us a kiss

Biddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by P18PPS
Citizenship ceremony! That's one I haven't been told about. Does this relate to a specific visa entry type? Any other details about it where, when etc. Sounds like it might be an excuse for a party when we get there.
Used to be that once you'd been a resident for 3 years then you could apply to become a citizen of NZ - passport etc + ceremony to mark the occassion. I believe it is now a 5 year wait so unfortunately you won't have that party for a while yet!
Old Jul 1st 2005, 9:33 am

P18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond repute

Ah! 5 years seems a bit too long to wait, but if we did it would be one hell of a party!!
Old Jul 1st 2005, 9:52 am

bookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to behold

Well we made it !!

Congratulations, very happy for you. Don't know you managed to stay dry eyed, anything formal and emotional like that and I'm a blubbering wreck! Even at kids school plays. Thanks for sharing the experience with us.
Old Jul 1st 2005, 12:46 pm
pompeymike

Well we made it !!

Mike

Old Jul 1st 2005, 12:53 pm
Life begins...

80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bookemjano
Congratulations, very happy for you. Don't know you managed to stay dry eyed, anything formal and emotional like that and I'm a blubbering wreck! Even at kids school plays. Thanks for sharing the experience with us.
Congrats from me too. Like Jan I'd be the same, and don't talk about school plays. The nativity always gets me going (although I have no more toddlers and the PC Police have vetoed nativities now - I'm a parent governor and it was an issue last Christmas). There's a Christmas song/hymn called 'It was on a starry night'. If I hear kids singing that I blub like there's no tomorrow. Sad eh? At my wedding we played the CD of 'Inkenyanyi Nezazi' (The Star and the Wiseman) by Ladysmith Black Mambazo (you know, from the Heinz Beans ad? They sing it a cappella) as I walked into the registry office. That really gets me going as well, those beautiful South African deep male voices. To die for. Actually thinking of that maybe I should have it played at my funeral.

I'm prepared to wait for 5 years for that (gotta get to NZ first of course), it sounds like a truly beautiful ceremony. I've seen the 'vows' for the UK one. I looked on the website of a NW London Borough (who shall remain nameless) where you could print it out. The spelling and grammar was appalling. A really good start for people moving here and wanting to learn English, not!

Phyl
Old Jul 1st 2005, 12:59 pm

bookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by 80s Chick
Congrats from me too. Like Jan I'd be the same, and don't talk about school plays. The nativity always gets me going (although I have no more toddlers and the PC Police have vetoed nativities now - I'm a parent governor and it was an issue last Christmas). There's a Christmas song/hymn called 'It was on a starry night'. If I hear kids singing that I blub like there's no tomorrow. Sad eh? At my wedding we played the CD of 'Inkenyanyi Nezazi' (The Star and the Wiseman) by Ladysmith Black Mambazo (you know, from the Heinz Beans ad? They sing it a cappella) as I walked into the registry office. That really gets me going as well, those beautiful South African deep male voices. To die for. Actually thinking of that maybe I should have it played at my funeral.

I'm prepared to wait for 5 years for that (gotta get to NZ first of course), it sounds like a truly beautiful ceremony. I've seen the 'vows' for the UK one. I looked on the website of a NW London Borough (who shall remain nameless) where you could print it out. The spelling and grammar was appalling. A really good start for people moving here and wanting to learn English, not!

Phyl
At our wedding we played 'Happy to be Stuck With You' by Huey Lewis and the News!
Old Jul 2nd 2005, 9:43 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Biddy
Used to be that once you'd been a resident for 3 years then you could apply to become a citizen of NZ - passport etc + ceremony to mark the occassion. I believe it is now a 5 year wait so unfortunately you won't have that party for a while yet!
All revealed at http://www.citizenship.govt.nz

People who applied for permanent residence before the change to the new rules (21 April 2005) may be able to still access the 3 year rule provided they apply for citizenship before 21 April 2010.

Jeremy
Old Jul 3rd 2005, 9:36 am
Forum Regular

xpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nice

Thanks for all your lovely replies guys. It's sunday evening now and I guess it's back to normal old routine tomorrow, but we've had fun celebrating ( Also saw War of the Worlds and found it surprisingly scary ! )

Best of luck to you all, enjoy !
Old Jul 3rd 2005, 11:12 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all your lovely replies guys. It's sunday evening now and I guess it's back to normal old routine tomorrow, but we've had fun celebrating ( Also saw War of the Worlds and found it surprisingly scary ! )

Best of luck to you all, enjoy !
Just wondering how much did getting your citizenship cost per person?
Do you need to do loads of paper work again to get it, we have about another 17 months to go so should I start saving.
Old Jul 3rd 2005, 12:20 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Sky - yep, it's the usual story so start saving now !

I can't remember the exact amount as we paid a year ago, it was around $480 per adult and $250 for our 14 yr old. There was a fair bit of paperwork to be filled out but nothing complicated & it took exactly a year for them to process it !

Now we can start saving the $71 each for a 5 yr NZ passport - Yipee !
Old Jul 3rd 2005, 10:05 pm
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Sky - yep, it's the usual story so start saving now !

I can't remember the exact amount as we paid a year ago, it was around $480 per adult and $250 for our 14 yr old. There was a fair bit of paperwork to be filled out but nothing complicated & it took exactly a year for them to process it !

Now we can start saving the $71 each for a 5 yr NZ passport - Yipee !
Thank you for your reply will start saving me cents now then

What sort of paper work do you have to submit is it proof of earnings etc

Will cost us a fortune with me and the hubby and three kids. Ill let my oldest son pay for himself lol he will be twenty by the time we can get citizenship.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.