Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Citizenship for babies born in NZ

Citizenship for babies born in NZ

Old Sep 25th 2007, 12:15 am
BE Forum Addict

live to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Citizenship for babies born in NZ

I am currently working for a NZ company in Canada. Although Mr Live to Ski and I are happily living in Vancouver, work have started making mutters about me going to the mother-ship in NZ for 6-12 month secondment at some point soon.

We sat down at the weekend and looked at some of our time lines and realised that potentially this will conflict with around the time that we had planned to have the first Little Live to Ski.

Now Mr Live to Ski is going to take paternity leave, whilst I'm back to work to earn our bread and butter, but would this mean that the Little Live to Ski would have NZ Citizenship if born there?
Old Sep 25th 2007, 12:45 am
BE Enthusiast

dlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Citizenship for babies born in NZ

Not unless one of you had NZ residency....
http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...irthQandAs.htm
Old Sep 25th 2007, 4:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

live to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
Old Sep 26th 2007, 3:12 am
NS covern member #1

Poppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond repute

But it seems that any baby born in Canada is entitled to citizenship. I had a baby here and had not been fully informed of the january 06 ruling, we had our residency application and meds in and accepted but hadnt paid the migrant levy and got the thing stamped - I was mortified to find she wasnt still allowed to claim citizenship. I rather took umbridge at this, got on my high horse - but was told that the UK has had the residency rule since 1983, so I stopped moaning, though it still rankles!! anyway, we move on and next baby will be Canadian. My daughter of course has an NZ birth certificate, so that is special, but it is a shame.

Good luck with the plans!!
Old Sep 26th 2007, 3:29 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poppy2
But it seems that any baby born in Canada is entitled to citizenship. I had a baby here and had not been fully informed of the january 06 ruling, we had our residency application and meds in and accepted but hadnt paid the migrant levy and got the thing stamped - I was mortified to find she wasnt still allowed to claim citizenship. I rather took umbridge at this, got on my high horse - but was told that the UK has had the residency rule since 1983, so I stopped moaning, though it still rankles!!
Although it would have been slightly different in the U.K. because in Britain, if a parent becomes a permanent resident after the child is born (in the U.K.) then the child can immediately be registered as a British citizen independently of the parents.

Canada and the United States are the only western countries left which have an unrestricted right to citizenship by birth. Britain (1983), Australia (1986), Ireland (2005) and New Zealand (2006) have all now got conditions related to residency/citizenship of parents.

Other countries with automatic citizenship by birth are found in the Caribbean and South America (eg Brazil).

There has been some talk in Canada of introducing a similar rule to Britain and it may happen at some stage. In the United States it would require a Constitutional Amendment.