British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Citizenship (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/citizenship-879197/)

Reylan Jun 21st 2016 12:51 am

Citizenship

Hello there,

Just wondering who has or hasn't applied for NZ Citizenship and why you did or didn't. I am coming up to 5 years here and trying to decide whether to apply or not.

:unsure:

barnsleymat Jun 21st 2016 2:05 am

Re: Citizenship

We had our citizenship interview a few weeks ago, our son was born 6 months ago and he automatically became a citizen so we thought it'd be daft for us not to apply, whatever happens in the future all 3 of us will have the same legal rights once me and the wife get citizenship. Our interview was the day before our 5 year anniversary in NZ.

Reylan Jun 21st 2016 2:12 am

Originally Posted by barnsleymat (Post 11978946)
We had our citizenship interview a few weeks ago, our son was born 6 months ago and he automatically became a citizen so we thought it'd be daft for us not to apply, whatever happens in the future all 3 of us will have the same legal rights once me and the wife get citizenship. Our interview was the day before our 5 year anniversary in NZ.

When did you actually apply? I wasn't sure if you had to wait until after your 5 year anniversary. We would definitely take all our paperwork to an interview, seeing as we could have one quite close by.

barnsleymat Jun 21st 2016 3:05 am

We applied about a week before the interview, you just ring the office up and they email you some forms that you need to fill and in take to the interview with you. You also need to take some paperwork like birth certs etc and some passport pics. Plus, one of the forms they email you has to be filled in straight away and sent back, it's to give them permission to look into your case before hand to make sure you qualify.

So you don't really have to wait I don't think but you'll have to be pretty close to your 5 year anniversary. Whilst my wife is still on maternity leave we thought i'd be easier to get it over and done with asap.

bearskin Jun 21st 2016 5:15 am

The 3 of us that whereon PR visas decided to go for citizenship. My youngest was born here. I think it is worth it. If you like it in NZ you may as well get the paperwork.

Doesn't mean I can bring myself to support the All Blacks!

You are still yourself - a collection of every experience you've ever had, and declaring yourself a citizen of somewhere is only one small change to that.

janiejones Jun 21st 2016 8:25 am

We applied before our 5 year anniversary, and had the ceremony a week after our anniversary. It takes a little while to come through, we used the DIA calculator to work out when to apply.

We did it for security, knowing that it's up to us if we leave, not because we've been pushed out by a policy change. I also need a security clearance for work, so this makes it easier.

We went to see Wales play the ABs at the weekend, and got to sing both anthems for the first time. Still shouted louder when Wales scored though :p

Justcol Jun 21st 2016 9:33 am

Have been here 8 years, am married to a daft kiwi and have never seen the point of citizenship
I have no desire to move to or ever live in Australia (tried it 25 years ago and hated it) so I can't see any benefit to the process

scrubbedexpat094 Jun 21st 2016 10:30 am

We got ours back in 2010 and managed to squeeze in under the 3 year rule. Useful for OH flying over to Aussie on business. I just thought it was a useful thing to have. Certainly helped to have a NZ passport in France a fortnight ago, it really changed how the French reacted to us when they found out we 'weren't' English but Kiwis :sneaky::rofl:

Clappy Jun 22nd 2016 8:59 am

I have been here for seven years and got citizenship at the first opportunity.

I have a NZ passport now too but the one time that I traveled abroad since then I used my British passport out of loyalty - even though that trip was to Australia.

As with anything in life I think it is best to have as many options as you can so you might as well get it.

The major factor in my mind though was that governments of countries are prone to changing the rules so get the citizenship before they do - I still have not adopted that "she'll be right" attitude :p

BritInParis Jun 22nd 2016 12:49 pm

Get your citizenship. Other than the fee there are no downsides whereas not becoming a citizen leaves you vulnerable to any future policy change by the NZ government. You only need to take a look at the new requirements for spouses of British citizens coming to the UK to see how badly that can go.

LauraNotts Jun 23rd 2016 2:12 am

I absolutely intend on getting mine when I qualify which will be a good while yet since I took the circuitous route to residency :)

Stormer999 Jun 23rd 2016 2:21 am

8 months and we will be first in the queue......:thumbsup:
Totally agree with BritInParis, couldn't stand the though of having to leave...:ohmy:

skybluestu Jun 23rd 2016 4:03 am

got mine on the stroke of five years and now working in Australia and New Zealand for an OZ based company, still based on the Kapiti coast and also Melbourne

Stormer999 Jun 23rd 2016 4:16 am

Originally Posted by skybluestu (Post 11981247)
got mine on the stroke of five years and now working in Australia and New Zealand for an OZ based company, still based on the Kapiti coast and also Melbourne

Freeman of the City of Coventry swap for your Kiwi Citizenship....;)

paddy234 Jun 23rd 2016 7:40 am

Is it true to become a citizen one has to swear allegiance to the queen?