British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Citizens......infringements.....problem (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/citizens-infringements-problem-752580/)

hazeandsteve Mar 24th 2012 4:20 am

Citizens......infringements.....problem

Please keep this a non "told you so" thread, and just the voices of experience. Thanks.
Have any you had problems (or lack of) with applications due to traffic infringements?
We may, or may not, have a speeding ticket or two on our records. Haze heard today of a person who was declined due to a speeding ticket.
We are aware of the rules for citizenship, and know that it is not a right, but have infringements, dealt with by a fine stopped anyone who has applied, rather than someone who heard of someone.....? :fingerscrossed:

BEVS Mar 24th 2012 5:36 am

Re: Citizens......infringements.....problem

Mr BEVS had a speeding ticket before our citizenship & lived to get the passport. He managed to gather another one since then.

A friend of ours had an infringement for not completely stopping at a junction and also gained her passport.

Our Hungarian friends gained several traffic infringements ( speeding and no safety belt) but still gained their permanent residency.

As for moi - :angel_smile:

sparkie down under Mar 24th 2012 8:14 pm

How fortuitous. Only yesterday I was looking at the DIA website about becoming a citizen.

Question for all. How many speeding 'offences' would be considered to be too many? Yes yes, i've clocked a few up:eek: I'm very reluctant to give the government and $500 odd dollars and be told NO- you're a bad, bad boy!

Anyone know?

Oh and second question, besides the passport and the ability to work in Aussie, what's so good about becoming a citizen?

Genesis Mar 24th 2012 9:48 pm

Originally Posted by sparkie down under (Post 9970488)
How fortuitous. Only yesterday I was looking at the DIA website about becoming a citizen.

Question for all. How many speeding 'offences' would be considered to be too many? Yes yes, i've clocked a few up:eek: I'm very reluctant to give the government and $500 odd dollars and be told NO- you're a bad, bad boy!

Anyone know?

Oh and second question, besides the passport and the ability to work in Aussie, what's so good about becoming a citizen?

I think its a good thing for your kids. It gives them a way more secure 'tenancy' in NZ than PR does which is what we have just now (rules over PR could change, however as we now have permanent returning visas, forever, unless the law changes re PR I am not sure why it's more secure). For sure you can be thrown out of Nz with just PR if you are deemed 'unfit' for whatever reason citizenship means they are stuck with you. It also gives them the right to Oz which you mention and I think this is also a biggie. We will probably do it one day but I am gobsmacked to see that you can be excluded for simple traffic violations..what a load of crap that is!!!!!

hazeandsteve Mar 25th 2012 12:56 am

As a follow up......
the form asks for an explanation for infringements. Now, had I infringements for drunk driving, no warrant, rego expired, then fair enough, I can see why they ask the question.
But I'm really after personal experience of people with infringements/fines either having no problem or being declined.

Snap Shot Mar 25th 2012 2:17 am

Um, sorry to ask this Steve but how confident are you that Haze was being told the truth ? I realise there's a limit to how much information you can ask for dependent on the circumstance but was the speeding offence so damn fast that it was a criminal act ? Or was the issue the further problems caused by the speeding i.e. death or injury ? Were there more problems with their character but the speeding ticket was all they were prepared to admit to ?

I can't believe I am siding with Genesis, but I think you've been sold a pup with regard to this.

Aren't you just going to apply anyway ? They won't cancel PR if you get turned down for citizenship will they ? It seems to me a person has to be really, 'going some' to be turned down for citizenship because of their character/behaviour. (I accept in some cases there may be other problems too) Unless your name is Kim Dotcom !

hazeandsteve Mar 25th 2012 3:26 am

Oh mate, that's not a problem to ask :).
It's all a bit hearsay, and the rumour is that only the father in the family was declined when they all applied.
As to the circumstances, I know no more than I've said, which is why I'm asking for first hand experience.
I did suggets the biker in our family (ahem) apply first, and see if Iget declined, but then Haze realised we'd be at different ceremonies if accepted.
Probably gonna give it a go anyway, but don't want to throw money away.

One other thing. in a conversation at work the other day, the subject of fit and proper person to hold a pilots licence came up.
The first speeding ticket shows you have no respect for the law. The second shows you don't learn by your mistakes......A bit harsh I reckon.

Genesis Mar 25th 2012 4:03 am

[QUOTE=I can't believe I am siding with Genesis, but I think you've been sold a pup with regard to this.

![/QUOTE]

Didn't realise I was such a rampant, looney, rabid nutter!!! I am as it happens but to see the truth on a public forum is quite shocking.:eek:

Bellasmum Mar 25th 2012 5:15 am

Originally Posted by Genesis (Post 9970935)
Didn't realise I was such a rampant, looney, rabid nutter!!! I am as it happens but to see the truth on a public forum is quite shocking.:eek:

Don't worry too much Genesis. This Kiwi would be quite happy for you to be one of us. ;)

There is nought wrong with wearing your heart on your sleeve.

sparkie down under Mar 25th 2012 5:29 am

Originally Posted by hazeandsteve (Post 9970912)
Probably gonna give it a go anyway, but don't want to throw money away.

I'm with you on that one

One other thing. in a conversation at work the other day, the subject of fit and proper person to hold a pilots licence came up.

I can answer that - you a re a right and fit person when you have paid up your fees and get the medical - never once asked me about how many speeding tickets I have

The first speeding ticket shows you have no respect for the law. The second shows you don't learn by your mistakes......A bit harsh I reckon.
What then would you think about double figures:o

hazeandsteve Mar 25th 2012 5:37 am

This seems to be what Haze was told about....
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/immigratio...ectid=10757607

After a quick peruse, seems I'll probably be okay.:thumbsup:

BEVS Mar 25th 2012 5:59 am

Originally Posted by hazeandsteve (Post 9970912)
which is why I'm asking for first hand experience.

I did let you know this ,which you may have missed reading.

Mr BEVS had a speeding ticket before our citizenship & lived to get the passport. He managed to gather another one since then.

A friend of ours had an infringement for not completely stopping at a junction and also gained her passport.

Genesis Mar 25th 2012 6:51 am

Originally Posted by Bellasmum (Post 9970973)
Don't worry too much Genesis. This Kiwi would be quite happy for you to be one of us. ;)

There is nought wrong with wearing your heart on your sleeve.

Thank you.:D

hazeandsteve Mar 25th 2012 7:26 am

Got that Bevs thanks, I was just trying to broaden the demographic.
Just waiting on a reply from the people who keep copies of the where and whens of my tickets and the forms will be submitted.