Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Christmas Top 10, these were a few of my favourite things

Christmas Top 10, these were a few of my favourite things

Old Dec 15th 2008, 9:57 am
lionheart

howden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to all
Default Christmas Top 10, these were a few of my favourite things

I have to say (steakling my OH's favourite comment, which incidently I generally hate), it just doesn't feel like Christmas, I honestly can't believe we only have 10 days to go nearly 9.

My Top 10

1 The cheesey over dressed houses with all the neon Christmas Lights and Santas etc covering the whole of the front of the house as well as the Garden.

2 Christmas Cards from work, all 60+ of them, that you felt obliged to respond too - well I didn't, just sent tin of chocs instead - and it was appreciated more than individual cards.

3 Making what felt like 6 thousand mince pies for neighbours and friends - mine were always in great demand.

4 The endless Christmas Dinners - Turkey, stuffing, sausage and bacon roll, bread sauce, cranberry sauce, roast and mash spuds, sprouts. carrots. Christmas Pud, trifle (proper ones, not the ones with jelly), stilton and mince pie.

5 Going to the woods to pick a tree - yes I know you can probably do it here, but it doesn't feel the same to me.

6 City Lights, weather, atmosphere. Turning on of Lights in the Dark

7 Driving home at night and seeing all the window displays.

8 Going into my kitchen at 2350 on xmas eve with my boys and a bottle of Tequilla to make mince pies and sing Christmas Carols until 4 in the morning.
- can't see me doing it this year with a pub to run, yes I know it's my fault, but I will miss it.

9 The Christmas repeats - old faithful programmes shown every christmas, The Snowman, Muppet Christmas Carol (although I do have this on DVD)

10 Last but not least my annual box of Thorntons

My list could go on forever I'm sure, I keep thinking of more that I could add more, but will leave it up to you.

Happy Christmas

Pauline
Old Dec 15th 2008, 7:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

jennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Christmas Top 10, these were a few of my favourite things

Originally Posted by howden40
I have to say (steakling my OH's favourite comment, which incidently I generally hate), it just doesn't feel like Christmas, I honestly can't believe we only have 10 days to go nearly 9.

My Top 10

1 The cheesey over dressed houses with all the neon Christmas Lights and Santas etc covering the whole of the front of the house as well as the Garden.

2 Christmas Cards from work, all 60+ of them, that you felt obliged to respond too - well I didn't, just sent tin of chocs instead - and it was appreciated more than individual cards.

3 Making what felt like 6 thousand mince pies for neighbours and friends - mine were always in great demand.

4 The endless Christmas Dinners - Turkey, stuffing, sausage and bacon roll, bread sauce, cranberry sauce, roast and mash spuds, sprouts. carrots. Christmas Pud, trifle (proper ones, not the ones with jelly), stilton and mince pie.

5 Going to the woods to pick a tree - yes I know you can probably do it here, but it doesn't feel the same to me.

6 City Lights, weather, atmosphere. Turning on of Lights in the Dark

7 Driving home at night and seeing all the window displays.

8 Going into my kitchen at 2350 on xmas eve with my boys and a bottle of Tequilla to make mince pies and sing Christmas Carols until 4 in the morning.
- can't see me doing it this year with a pub to run, yes I know it's my fault, but I will miss it.

9 The Christmas repeats - old faithful programmes shown every christmas, The Snowman, Muppet Christmas Carol (although I do have this on DVD)

10 Last but not least my annual box of Thorntons

My list could go on forever I'm sure, I keep thinking of more that I could add more, but will leave it up to you.

Happy Christmas

Pauline
Love 7 & 8.

Mine is
1] sledging in the valley with my two boys when they were young. The giggles and the laughter.

2] snowball fights on the way home from school. The giggles and the laughter.

3] walking through very deep 30ins+ of crisp virgin snow and throwing ourselves backwards into it with arms out wide- total bliss! The giggles and the laughter.

4] Salvation Army band playing Christmas Carols in the street under our single light, whilst the snow fell all around. It was magical.

5] Making advent calendars and putting clues in each little window to help them find a sweet I'd hidden around the house. The giggles and the laughter.
(My son does it with his children this Xmas.)

6] Dressing up as Santa clause- long red dress with hood, white cotton wool beard and eyebrows, creeping up the stairs into their bedrooms and filling their pillowcases. Creeping sadly back downstairs to drink the sherry. Sad. Why? Cos they never woke up and saw me!!

7] Friends popping in Xmas eve, when OH was working nights.

8] OH getting home safe after Xmas Eve night duty and PUTTING FREEZING COLD FEET ON MY BACK!

9]Lying on floor and playing with the kids and their scalelectric set.

10] AND the best The School Christmas Nativity play where parents sit and watch in awe, with hearts beating fast and pulses racing, as their beautiful offspring utter those long practiced words- 'Pi** off! there's no room in the inn!'
Old Dec 16th 2008, 8:21 am
BE Forum Addict

weejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jennifer45
Love 7 & 8.

Mine is
1] sledging in the valley with my two boys when they were young. The giggles and the laughter.

2] snowball fights on the way home from school. The giggles and the laughter.

3] walking through very deep 30ins+ of crisp virgin snow and throwing ourselves backwards into it with arms out wide- total bliss! The giggles and the laughter.

4] Salvation Army band playing Christmas Carols in the street under our single light, whilst the snow fell all around. It was magical.

5] Making advent calendars and putting clues in each little window to help them find a sweet I'd hidden around the house. The giggles and the laughter.
(My son does it with his children this Xmas.)

6] Dressing up as Santa clause- long red dress with hood, white cotton wool beard and eyebrows, creeping up the stairs into their bedrooms and filling their pillowcases. Creeping sadly back downstairs to drink the sherry. Sad. Why? Cos they never woke up and saw me!!

7] Friends popping in Xmas eve, when OH was working nights.

8] OH getting home safe after Xmas Eve night duty and PUTTING FREEZING COLD FEET ON MY BACK!

9]Lying on floor and playing with the kids and their scalelectric set.

10] AND the best The School Christmas Nativity play where parents sit and watch in awe, with hearts beating fast and pulses racing, as their beautiful offspring utter those long practiced words- 'Pi** off! there's no room in the inn!'

Or in my case....."Where have all the bloody sheep gone?" from my 6 year old shepherd!!

I love going to get the tree and coming back to decorate it and put up the lights etc....one year it snowed as we picked out the tree,wonderful

Saying goodnight on Xmas Eve to 2 excited wee boys and praying they won't be up too early the next day........

......then jumping about their room shouting Santa's been

Helping the boys make a Xmas cake for their dad,applying the brandy twice a week for 4 weeks then letting them marzipan and ice it. OH loves this for lots of reasons.......the boys made it and he doesn't need to drink when he eats it,there's enough booze in it.

Phyl x
Old Dec 22nd 2008, 9:52 am
BE Forum Addict

weejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by weejie
[/COLOR]

Or in my case....."Where have all the bloody sheep gone?" from my 6 year old shepherd!!

I love going to get the tree and coming back to decorate it and put up the lights etc....one year it snowed as we picked out the tree,wonderful

Saying goodnight on Xmas Eve to 2 excited wee boys and praying they won't be up too early the next day........

......then jumping about their room shouting Santa's been

Helping the boys make a Xmas cake for their dad,applying the brandy twice a week for 4 weeks then letting them marzipan and ice it. OH loves this for lots of reasons.......the boys made it and he doesn't need to drink when he eats it,there's enough booze in it.

Phyl x
Got away with it this morning,said his proper line perfectly

Phyl x