Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Christmas really is ALL about the kids!!

Christmas really is ALL about the kids!!

Old Dec 8th 2011, 4:42 am

Lily77cat is just really niceLily77cat is just really niceLily77cat is just really niceLily77cat is just really niceLily77cat is just really niceLily77cat is just really niceLily77cat is just really niceLily77cat is just really niceLily77cat is just really nice
Default Christmas really is ALL about the kids!!

WOW- i have always loved Christmas and to be honest I am getting used to it being warm.

Have perfected the turkey and trimmings in the heat and everything home made just like my mum does- nothing beats it.

BUT- what is soooooo fantastic brilliant wonderful really really special is Christmas with our kids!!

Last year we had one little rugrat and it was such fun helping him open his presents and as OH said "dont know who enjoyed the new toys more, you or the rugrat??"

Well this year we have another rugrat to spoil and oh gosh just think of the amount of toys I get to help open and play with this year!!!
and pink dollies for the baby rugrat and toy trucks and garage for the slightly older rugrat

oh GOD I am excited!!!

Christmas really does take on a whole new meaning with kids and I just had to say how wicked wicked wicked it is

This time of year can be difficult with family and friends far away but hey the wonderful weather day after day after day for months on end, our wonderful big house (much bigger and better than we could have afforded in blighty!), our wonderful friends both kiwi and english, make our life here just brilliant and less sad for loved ones far away.

Yes my kids dont have their grandparents around but they visit often (in 3.5years, Grandparents 6 times, siblings, 4times, friends 3 times!!) and my wonderful children will have the most brilliant upbringing here in NZ !!

Life is bloody good and did you know only 17 days till CHRISTMAS!!!!!!
and a nice wet chirstmas is to be had for the first time in 3 years!!!!
(next rugrat can wait a bit :-))
whoop whoop
Old Dec 8th 2011, 4:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Christmas really is ALL about the kids!!

Its a very special time when you have kids, make the most of it they grow up so fast.
Old Dec 8th 2011, 5:05 am

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm glad my kids were young at Christmas in England nothing beats it like roaring fires, dark early nights, mulled wine, roast chestnuts, christmas carols and lights in the towns.

Don't feel at all christmasy But I live with it

btw I miss Toys R Us

Last edited by love30stm; Dec 8th 2011 at 5:23 am.
Old Dec 8th 2011, 5:08 am

Lily77cat is just really niceLily77cat is just really niceLily77cat is just really niceLily77cat is just really niceLily77cat is just really niceLily77cat is just really niceLily77cat is just really niceLily77cat is just really niceLily77cat is just really nice

tell me about it!!

I cant believe we have been here 3.5years!

its been a rollercoaster ride but so glad we came. it took over a year to sell our house in england and another 6months to find one we liked to buy here but we found a house and it really is a home now.

have made some wonderful friends

we have also had seriousl illness to contend with but we now have two wonderful little kiwisand this is definately our home!

it is always going to be a bit difficult living here but god do the positives outway the negatives 10fold.

and hey did i say its only 17 sleeps till santa arrives???

Last edited by BEVS; Dec 10th 2011 at 3:46 am. Reason: festive snip in the spirit of Christmas per the OP :-)
Old Dec 8th 2011, 5:11 am

i think our replies crossed over

yes christmas would be even better in the cold but if this is the price we have to pay for having 9months of wonderful weather each and everyyear with proper summer days then i am prepared for that.

Old Dec 8th 2011, 5:14 am

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lily77cat
i think our replies crossed over

yes christmas would be even better in the cold but if this is the price we have to pay for having 9months of wonderful weather each and everyyear with proper summer days then i am prepared for that.

Well must admit I love new years eve here We have seen the fireworks on the beach in Napier and wellington last year

And I love the long summer after

Last edited by love30stm; Dec 8th 2011 at 5:16 am.
Old Dec 8th 2011, 6:38 am
BE Forum Addict

barnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond repute

Found out today pubs don't open on Boxing Day.

Christmas used to be all about going out on the lash, not in NZ.

I don't know what I'm going to do, it's hard enough having a night out in West Auckland as it is with the Waitakere Trust living in the dark ages and they're cancelling trains most of Christmas too.
Old Dec 8th 2011, 6:49 am
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by barnsleymat

Christmas used to be all about going out on the lash, not in NZ.

I don't know what I'm going to do, it's hard enough having a night out in West Auckland as it is with the Waitakere Trust living in the dark ages and they're cancelling trains most of Christmas too.
The tradition in the UK is for local rugby clubs to have Boxing day games....I know you are not a rugby supporter but hey if the bars open....give it a try...
Old Dec 8th 2011, 7:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Whaaaatttt!!!! WTF am I supposed to do
Old Dec 8th 2011, 7:34 am
BE Forum Addict

barnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stormer999
The tradition in the UK is for local rugby clubs to have Boxing day games....I know you are not a rugby supporter but hey if the bars open....give it a try...
I live over the fence from Waitamata Rugby Club and I have tried showing an interest but there's nothing there.
Old Dec 8th 2011, 7:41 am
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

I live over the fence from Waitamata Rugby Club and I have tried showing an interest but there's nothing there.
What kind of country is this.....the people must go for a beer Boxing day somewhere.....there has to be some sport with liquid refreshment...
Old Dec 8th 2011, 8:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Stormer999
What kind of country is this.....
one like no other
Old Dec 8th 2011, 8:36 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Justcol
Whaaaatttt!!!! WTF am I supposed to do
We head to one of the beaches (usually Army Bay) & have a BBQ (& drinks)with friends
Old Dec 9th 2011, 12:40 am

yep keep it simple but kiwi styleeeee

family and kiddies and turkey and board games etc on christmas day and beach and bbq and friends on boxing day

but if its raining then put the air con on and light the open fire and let it really be christmas
Old Dec 9th 2011, 2:23 am
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

I think us adults prefer the 'traditional' freezing cold type Christmas but I reckon if you gave children the choice they'd opt for actually being able to go out to ride that bike every time

For me, I get into the spirit by going for a walk up and down Franklin Road - if you haven't been you really must - it's lovely.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.