British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Christmas Post (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/christmas-post-639585/)

Bo-Jangles Nov 8th 2009 4:44 am

Christmas Post

Don't forget, although Christmas seems like ages away, the last date for overseas economy mail is:

23rd November

For those that don't know, Economy mail saves you 50 cents per Christmas card and if you have lots to send it's a dear old do at $2.30 each for airmail.

Last post for Airmail is 30th November.

Better get writing. :eek:

Kiwiprincess Nov 8th 2009 6:25 am

Re: Christmas Post

My tip: If you have a number of cards to send, send them all to a nice lovely helpful person in the UK who can post them on for you. Then you pay local rates :)

Stoof Nov 8th 2009 7:40 am

Originally Posted by Kiwiprincess (Post 8080627)
My tip: If you have a number of cards to send, send them all to a nice lovely helpful person in the UK who can post them on for you. Then you pay local rates :)

we're fortunate that a load of our family have november/december birthdays too - doubling up an awful lot!! (it does rather limit the size of cards we can send tho!!)

Matewx Nov 8th 2009 7:44 am

I dont get the deadlines though...

I sent my cousin a card for his wedding... I posted it on Tuesday morning & it was in France by the Friday/Saturday just before the wedding...

Am I missing something?

Ps: Am not being patronising or anything... Just asking :lol: SERIOUSLY

lardyl Nov 8th 2009 7:53 am

Originally Posted by Matewx (Post 8080732)
I dont get the deadlines though...

I sent my cousin a card for his wedding... I posted it on Tuesday morning & it was in France by the Friday/Saturday just before the wedding...

Am I missing something?

Ps: Am not being patronising or anything... Just asking :lol: SERIOUSLY

ah........it's all to do with volumes........and deadlines.......:ohmy:
things get very slow on the postal front come Christmas do they not??

strikes don't help either but I hear that factor is due to be less of an issue now :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed:

but being French you should know all about the power of the unions......or was that "onions"??? :rofl:

/hides from those rippling muscles/

Matewx Nov 8th 2009 7:58 am

Originally Posted by lardyl (Post 8080745)
ah........it's all to do with volumes........and deadlines.......:ohmy:
things get very slow on the postal front come Christmas do they not??

strikes don't help either but I hear that factor is due to be less of an issue now :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed:

but being French you should know all about the power of the unions......or was that "onions"??? :rofl:

/hides from those rippling muscles/

Ahahah good one mate!! :rofl::rofl::rofl: You made me laugh..

Are you implying that us french are linked somewhat to unions & onions??

I have to admit that they're both part of our "Art de vivre"!! :rolleyes:

mickey_d Nov 8th 2009 8:01 am

I'll give the same tip as I have before.
We send our parcels/pressies around the start of the 2nd week in December.
They have got there within a week the last 2 years, 4 days last year!!

1st year we were here, we sent them mid November, Two got there a couple of days before Christmas & the last 1st week in January!!!!
We've come to the conclusion it's better to avoid the deadline rush!!

Re. cards, send e-cards for free on the internet, saves money & trees:thumbup:
There are some good Kiwi e-card sites.

lardyl Nov 8th 2009 8:02 am

Originally Posted by Matewx (Post 8080753)
Ahahah good one mate!! :rofl::rofl::rofl: You made me laugh..

Are you implying that us french are linked somewhat to unions & onions??

I have to admit that they're both part of our "Art de vivre"!! :rolleyes:

good on ya matey we'll make a Pomm of you yet.....
once you get the self-depricating humour then you're pretty much there :thumbsup:

suppose living in Brum meant that you learned to laugh at yourself (as a Brummie) quite often - and that's coming from a "yam-yam" ;)

lardyl Nov 8th 2009 8:03 am

Originally Posted by mickey_d (Post 8080757)
I'll give the same tip as I have before.
We send our parcels/pressies around the start of the 2nd week in December.
They have got there within a week the last 2 years, 4 days last year!!

1st year we were here, we sent them mid November, Two got there a couple of days before Christmas & the last 1st week in January!!!!
We've come to the conclusion it's better to avoid the deadline rush!!

Kiwis seem to send far fewer cards, and several I know think it's crazy to buy a card for someone you will meet at Christmas time unless they are a littlie.......seems sensible to me :thumbsup:

Matewx Nov 8th 2009 8:07 am

Originally Posted by lardyl (Post 8080763)
Kiwis seem to send far fewer cards, and several I know think it's crazy to buy a card for someone you will meet at Christmas time unless they are a littlie.......seems sensible to me :thumbsup:

Yep defo!

I never really got the card thingy thing anyway... Found it funny for the first few years, then I stopped bothering with it! lol

luvwelly Nov 8th 2009 9:17 am

Originally Posted by mickey_d (Post 8080757)

Or better yet be a real cheapskate and do your own Christmas card/email using your own photos taken during the year.
Have been doing this for last 5 years and it means you can do it at the last minute so they get it actually on Christmas Eve/day or whatever.

I agree sending a bought card to the whole office/class at school/ friends and relatives is definitely a bit of a British thing. I give it 10 more years max before it truly dies a death.

nelsonpom Nov 9th 2009 9:20 am

We were really good last year and sent all cards and presents before or on deadlines and they all arrived in November ..... Going to hang on this year and if they are late tough :rofl:

mickey_d Dec 15th 2009 4:00 am

Well 3rd year running we sent 3 Christmas parcels after the deadline. Sent them economy at 10am Friday 12th, arrived on each doorstep in the UK Monday 14th:thumbup:

We sent a parcel at the start of November for a birthday on 14th, that arrived on 23rd.

That sums it up really, definitely wait until the rush is over in October & November:thumbup: