Reload this Page >

Christmas and New Year on the South Island

Christmas and New Year on the South Island

Old Jul 15th 2013, 7:01 am
Just Joined

33louise is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Christmas and New Year on the South Island

Hi Everyone
I have just moved to Christchurch and my parents are coming over for Christmas and New Year....
We want to hire a motorhome for a week while they are here and go exploring around the South Island...
Can I have any recommendations on places on the South Island that we should visit and also whether it is better to tour over Christmas or New Year....
Thanks
Old Jul 15th 2013, 7:44 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: Christmas and New Year on the South Island

How long ? Christmas will be cheaper. New Year tends to be booked out.
Old Jul 15th 2013, 8:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Woodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond repute

Neither! It'll be far too busy on the roads and at the camp sites, if you can, wait until Feb when the schools have gone back and the weather is usually better then. However if the 'olds' have booked their flights or can't stay that long then there are some great road trips to do.

Here's a short one, but a good one

Franz Josef - for the glacier
Haast Pass and Hells Gate - nip to Port Jackson for a whitebait sandwich
Wanaka
Mount Cook village, then back via the stunning Lindis Pass

Alternatively stay in Canterbury and do the high country, Mt Somers and the road to Erewhon (Plains of Rohan) is a good drive. Or up the Rangitata to Mesopotamia. Castle Hill is a must and only an hour and twenty to get to. Then of course there is Hanmer or Akaroa. Drive to Akaroa via Port Levy and Pigeon Bay if you're more adventurous!

Have a great time!
Old Jul 15th 2013, 10:00 pm
Account Closed

Tom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by 33louise
Hi Everyone
I have just moved to Christchurch and my parents are coming over for Christmas and New Year....
We want to hire a motorhome for a week while they are here and go exploring around the South Island...
Can I have any recommendations on places on the South Island that we should visit and also whether it is better to tour over Christmas or New Year....
Thanks
Christmas, much cheaper than New Year

Tour to do - your choice

Either head north and go to the Abel Tasman via Blenheim, Nelson. Drive back to some bay before hitting Lewis Pass and have a night at Hamner before coming home

Or head south west. Lake Tekapo, Franz Josef, Wanaka, Queenstown and then across to Dunedin before returning

No point doing Milford Sound in summer, best to do during the Autumn months
Old Jul 15th 2013, 10:07 pm

Catchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond repute

If they are into Wine and Food, then Waipara/Marlborough/Nelson offers lots of options. Check what the opening times are over Xmas.
Old Jul 17th 2013, 10:14 pm
Just Joined

33louise is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all the replies... I think we will go over christmas but just for a couple of days. Will have to start looking at your suggestions and get planning.