Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

christmas monetary gifts

christmas monetary gifts

Old Dec 21st 2010, 5:05 am
Forum Regular

mumbee2 has a spectacular aura aboutmumbee2 has a spectacular aura aboutmumbee2 has a spectacular aura about
Default christmas monetary gifts

This is our first Christmas in NZ and a friend wants to send our children some money for Christmas how easy is it to do that from Uk to NZ - without using a finance institution!

We also need the information to give to family members in the future.

Thanks very much
mumbee
Old Dec 21st 2010, 8:12 am
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: christmas monetary gifts

They can just send it directly from their bank to a bank over here.
You could then withdraw it from your account and give it to the children if they're not old enough to have an account themselves.
Obviously it's not a good idea to send cash through the post- even though my Grandma used to do that before she passed away. She could never be persuaded not to and to be honest could never be persuaded to do or not to do anything if she didn't want to...
Old Dec 21st 2010, 9:58 pm
Just Joined

Littlemisssunshine is just really niceLittlemisssunshine is just really niceLittlemisssunshine is just really niceLittlemisssunshine is just really niceLittlemisssunshine is just really niceLittlemisssunshine is just really niceLittlemisssunshine is just really niceLittlemisssunshine is just really niceLittlemisssunshine is just really niceLittlemisssunshine is just really niceLittlemisssunshine is just really nice

You could get a uk cheque sent over. The banks should accept them over here. I know ASB do.

Old Dec 21st 2010, 11:35 pm
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute

The one thing I would suggest is that they make one transaction to divide up once it’s here. Not little payments that could each have sending and receiving charges.
Old Dec 22nd 2010, 6:27 pm
Just Joined

RickAlbany is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Kiwiprincess
The one thing I would suggest is that they make one transaction to divide up once it’s here. Not little payments that could each have sending and receiving charges.
totally - and using the bank is the best way to go, my family in the Uk have been doing this for a few years now ever since 2 large xmas parcels went 'missing' in the UK sorting office
Old Dec 22nd 2010, 7:38 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Aye. We had a friend here whose parcels went 'missing' from their mail box. Tracked that they had left the UK and then - shazam - disappeared in a puff of smoke. Later found out to be a light fingered neighbour.

This is our first Christmas in NZ and a friend wants to send our children some money for Christmas how easy is it to do that from Uk to NZ - without using a finance institution!
I think we had another thread about this quite a while ago. I seem to remember I suggested Western Union and someone else came up with a much better suggestion which cost less.

You could get a uk cheque sent over. The banks should accept them over here. I know ASB do.
I've done this in the past. Be aware that it will take at least 3 weeks to clear but the fee is minimal..

Tranzfers do.......transfers but there will be a fee
Old Dec 22nd 2010, 7:42 pm
Just Joined

RickAlbany is an unknown quantity at this point

I've done this in the past. Be aware that it will take at least 3 weeks to clear but the fee is minimal..

Tranzfers do.......transfers but there will be a fee
the last time we did a cheque it was 6 weeks to clear! Much better just to do an electronic transfer.

Last edited by BEVS; Dec 22nd 2010 at 7:52 pm. Reason: tidy quotes
Old Dec 22nd 2010, 8:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

mickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rickalbanytoyota
the last time we did a cheque it was 6 weeks to clear! Much better just to do an electronic transfer.
Depends who you bank with. ASB used to take over a month for us. We are now with National, I took a British cheque in last Friday & it was cleared by Tuesday.
Old Dec 22nd 2010, 10:20 pm
Banned

Location: Born in Timaru grew in the Philippines and now working in Japan
clydewylde is an unknown quantity at this point

Bank to bank i suppose or try Moneygram for faster transaction.
Old Dec 24th 2010, 12:50 am
Forum Regular

dorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to all

I know you said no financial institutions, but we send money to daughter in UK via Paypal - not sure of the charge but it is very reasonable/cheap
Old Dec 24th 2010, 1:31 am
Banned

Location: Born in Timaru grew in the Philippines and now working in Japan
clydewylde is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dorrick
I know you said no financial institutions, but we send money to daughter in UK via Paypal - not sure of the charge but it is very reasonable/cheap
PAYPAL is the best. 100% guaranteed security.
Old Dec 27th 2010, 11:52 pm
Forum Regular

Foxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud of

We still have a uk bank account and my sister puts money in there and we give the girls the nz dollars equivalent and a bit more sometimes
Old Dec 29th 2010, 3:36 pm
Just Joined

berdorian is just really niceberdorian is just really niceberdorian is just really niceberdorian is just really niceberdorian is just really niceberdorian is just really niceberdorian is just really niceberdorian is just really nice
Smile Re: christmas monetary gifts

Another idea would be to buy gift cards for appropriate stores and have them delivered to family in NZ. We did this at Christmas for our teenage grand children . We looked on line for a gift card supplier in NZ and ordered the cards choosing from a wide selection of store cards. However there is an extra charge for a greetings card and postage and this is added to the cost of each gift card. We did not realise that until we had done the order. Another time we would order one card each and put more money on it.

We have also on some occasions put money for the girls into their parent's account in UK and asked them to put the equivalent funds into the girl's savings in NZ.

Hope this give you another idea.