Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Christmas makes me sad

Christmas makes me sad

Old Dec 4th 2013, 8:46 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Christmas makes me sad

Why don't we just move Christmas on 6 months? The only reason we do it in
December is due to some olde world pagan festival anyway, it's not even the baby Jesuses real birthday.
Old Dec 4th 2013, 5:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

bearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Snap Shot
I want to go back to Britain and do things properly.
Do you mean you want to go and have a Christmas in the UK? or that you would move back to the UK, so that you could have a "proper" Christmas every year?
I'm sure that would make you (and most of us...) happy, but what about the other 51 weeks of the year?

I am reminded of someone from forums long ago, who was looking fwd to moving back to the UK so they could GO SHOPPING.
Old Dec 4th 2013, 6:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lizard
This is going to be our 9th Christmas in NZ. I am not looking forward to it at all, it just makes me sad. I feel like I have missed out 9 times. I can't bear to hear Slade's " Merry Christmas everybody", it breaks my heart. Too many memories of great times in the pub over the years.

I don't want to have anymore BBQs for Christmas day, then a walk on the beach. It does not feel special. I want it to be cold, have a proper Christmas dinner, real Christmas TV, hear proper Christmas carols, go to the pub and have a laugh with people who have got a good sense of humour.

So we have decided this will be our last and the next one will be back in Blighty and all the ones after that.

I am just too English to stay away any longer, I need the country lanes, the Yorkshire moors, the village pub, concerts ( Roger Chapman and Family reformed and played Clumber Park and I missed it - f@#k)

I want to feel alive again.
I feel the same as you..

bbq and walk on the beach ... no............
Old Dec 4th 2013, 6:31 pm
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

Can I just say that you don't have to have Christmas on the beach or do a bbq. Growing up here we mostly had a big sit down meal with turkey with all the trimmings, Christmas pudd with brandy butter, cream and custard, crackers etc (not all on the same plate!). That was a typical Christmas in my kiwi childhood and my family were not unusual. I understand that it's not the same as the UK and never will be, but you can easily recreate the normal British event.

I remember my first Christmases in the UK with a MIL who was very traditional. The only difference was the higher quantity of alcohol. Otherwise it was pretty familiar.

I appreciate that there are other very genuine reasons for missing the UK at this time of year, but there's nothing wrong with having a British Christmas dinner - in fact quite a lot of kiwis do. You might have a problem finding fresh brussel sprouts though.

Last edited by jmh; Dec 4th 2013 at 6:35 pm.
Old Dec 4th 2013, 7:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond repute

it's not even the baby Jesuses real birthday.
No its Santas birthday.
Old Dec 4th 2013, 7:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

snaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nice

How about this as a thought for the Christmas period.
Turn the garage in to a Christmas retreat adventure land. Have the bed in the garage with an A/C on highest cold level, wear thick clothes. Go to bed at 8am and rise at 8pm, have a false fire etc, decorate the whole place with tinsel etc. Have a few glasses of mulled wine, live in the garage over Christmas and don't venture out. Get a neighbour to spray water at the garage window at least every other day. Get a friend to call the home phone at least four times each day and try to sell you insurance. Get the family/in-laws round on the 'pretend' Christmas day and have a big fall-out. Ensure that every single present you receive is exactly what you don't want or is far too small or too big. Always get a bulky present that is broken and needs to be taken back to ARGOS within seven day.
It'll be just like living in the UK.
Old Dec 4th 2013, 8:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jmh
Can I just say that you don't have to have Christmas on the beach or do a bbq. Growing up here we mostly had a big sit down meal with turkey with all the trimmings, Christmas pudd with brandy butter, cream and custard, crackers etc (not all on the same plate!). That was a typical Christmas in my kiwi childhood and my family were not unusual. I understand that it's not the same as the UK and never will be, but you can easily recreate the normal British event.

I remember my first Christmases in the UK with a MIL who was very traditional. The only difference was the higher quantity of alcohol. Otherwise it was pretty familiar.

I appreciate that there are other very genuine reasons for missing the UK at this time of year, but there's nothing wrong with having a British Christmas dinner - in fact quite a lot of kiwis do. You might have a problem finding fresh brussel sprouts though.
That was my NZ childhood. What I love most about a Kiwi Christmas dinner is the fresh veges straight from the garden. Peas, beans, pots, kumara etc.

Mid year Christmas dinners in June are fairly common these days and that's when the mulled wine comes out.
Old Dec 4th 2013, 8:13 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by snaps
Turn the garage in to a Christmas retreat adventure land. Have the bed in the garage with an A/C on highest cold level, wear thick clothes. Go to bed at 8am and rise at 8pm, have a false fire etc, decorate the whole place with tinsel etc. Have a few glasses of mulled wine, live in the garage over Christmas and don't venture out. Get a neighbour to spray water at the garage window at least every other day. Get a friend to call the home phone at least four times each day and try to sell you insurance. Get the family/in-laws round on the 'pretend' Christmas day and have a big fall-out. Ensure that every single present you receive is exactly what you don't want or is far too small or too big. Always get a bulky present that is broken and needs to be taken back to ARGOS within seven day.
I actually find that post quite insulting to my family and friends living back in the UK.

This may be true for you , yours & your experience but is certainly not true for my family and friends in the UK & elsewhere in the world, nor my husband's huge extended family across the UK.

My husband was in the UK for last Christmas with his family. It was a traditional Christmas celebrated in the usual way many of us cherish.

Originally Posted by jmh
Growing up here we mostly had a big sit down meal with turkey with all the trimmings, Christmas pudd with brandy butter, cream and custard, crackers etc (not all on the same plate!). That was a typical Christmas in my kiwi childhood and my family were not unusual.
I totally agree JMH. That has been my experience and observation of Kiwi Christmas days here over the past decade. It is for family & close friends . They have a traditional Xmas meal. There are gifts... and goodness me....excesses
Then maybe play some party games . Boules seems quite popular. Maybe a constitutional. Just as per anywhere else in the world. The only real difference between here and there is the season.
They like Christmas trees, Christmas carols , festive songs and twinkly lights.

It is expats that tend to do the beach bbq thing. We did this twice and it's not for us.

May I also say that Lizard started this thread to simply voice their decision to leave NZ and restart elsewhere. Perhaps the UK.
I don't think anyone should diss that decision or cheapen it in the way the above post seems to do.

To move country again, especially after several years is actually a very brave move. You don't have to agree or even understand that decision but try wishing them all the best , rather than pouring misery . I suspect they've been through enough turmoil to get to this point as it is.

I'll shut me gob now. Need to shop for gifts
Old Dec 4th 2013, 8:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

snaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nice

Sorry. It was just a little light relief. I have never really had anything like this in truth and do not believe anyone in the UK has eitherr. Please accept my apology.
Old Dec 4th 2013, 8:29 pm
Just Joined

Evolve2013 has a reputation beyond reputeEvolve2013 has a reputation beyond reputeEvolve2013 has a reputation beyond reputeEvolve2013 has a reputation beyond reputeEvolve2013 has a reputation beyond reputeEvolve2013 has a reputation beyond reputeEvolve2013 has a reputation beyond reputeEvolve2013 has a reputation beyond reputeEvolve2013 has a reputation beyond reputeEvolve2013 has a reputation beyond reputeEvolve2013 has a reputation beyond repute

I so relate to your post and when you say you are just too English to stay any more. We did eight years and always went away for Christmas, my two favourites were spent in Russell and Waiheke Island but it never felt right. Now we are back I just feel complete again, I have got my tree up and I can SEE the lights, no more shopping in shorts and jandals but all wrapped up enjoying all the hussle and bussle and meeting friends for lunch in an oldy woldy pub laden with bags. Afterwards I drove home and marvelled at the skies and the old english oaks, leafy lanes and old cottages with smoky chimneys. We have been home nearly two years now and I still often stop just to marvel at the views and the smell of the english countryside. I wish you all the very best with your move and hope it won't be too long before you feel alive again!
Old Dec 4th 2013, 8:43 pm
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bellasmum
That was my NZ childhood. What I love most about a Kiwi Christmas dinner is the fresh veges straight from the garden. Peas, beans, pots, kumara etc.

Mid year Christmas dinners in June are fairly common these days and that's when the mulled wine comes out.
I remember one year my gran made the most delicious fresh fruit salad I've ever tasted. The fact that she added Champagne to it might have helped. I think there was a pav to go with it - can't remember now.
Old Dec 4th 2013, 9:14 pm

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bearskin
Do you mean you want to go and have a Christmas in the UK? or that you would move back to the UK, so that you could have a "proper" Christmas every year?
Yes to both

I'm sure that would make you (and most of us...) happy,
You do know what the ignore button is for, don't you ?

but what about the other 51 weeks of the year?
I'll spend that having a life

I am reminded of someone from forums long ago, who was looking fwd to moving back to the UK so they could GO SHOPPING. :unsure
:
Says he living on Auckland's north shore

Last edited by Snap Shot; Dec 4th 2013 at 9:15 pm. Reason: took the bait again
Old Dec 4th 2013, 11:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

bearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Snap Shot
Says he living on Auckland's north shore
Sorry - have I upset you somehow? You seem to have misinterpreted my post then.

When i say that having a Christmas in the UK would make you and most of us happy, I don't mean anything other than we (most expats in NZ) would probably love to have a Christmas in the UK - as would you?

Isn't there a more fundamental reason why you moved from the UK to NZ? I was wondering whether, outside of having a nice UK Christmas for a week, that would be enough of a reason for the rest of the 51 weeks in a year. I know it wouldn't be for me.

And you have a beef with Auckland's North Shore? Do explain...

Like, I say, maybe you've misinterpreted my post? But, please have a vent - that's kind of the purpose of these forums.
Old Dec 4th 2013, 11:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by snaps
Classic! Sounds like a sitcom.
Old Dec 5th 2013, 12:03 am
Forum Regular

e4ebs is just really nicee4ebs is just really nicee4ebs is just really nicee4ebs is just really nicee4ebs is just really nicee4ebs is just really nicee4ebs is just really nicee4ebs is just really nice

I'm looking forward more to the summer season and time off work than Christmas itself. We've tried doing the traditional hot meal with turkey, we've tried a few years of picnics in Central Otago. Last year we went away on holiday and were in Auckland watching The Hobbit on Christmas Day.

This year I have no idea what we're doing on the day itself. So far I've put no decorations up and bought no gifts as yet. I'm feeling like a bit of a scrooge, but I just can't get into the swing of it!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.