Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Christmas Decorations...

Christmas Decorations...

Old Sep 13th 2016, 1:39 pm
Forum Regular

Lisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of light
Default Christmas Decorations...

Has anyone successfully shipped Christmas decorations featuring twiggy pineconey bits and not had them destroyed by MAF or should I just accept they have to go in the charity shop pile??
Attached Thumbnails Christmas Decorations...-wp_20160913_14_27_02_pro.jpg  
Old Sep 13th 2016, 1:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Damson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Christmas Decorations...

Originally Posted by Lisa Maree
Has anyone successfully shipped Christmas decorations featuring twiggy pineconey bits and not had them destroyed by MAF or should I just accept they have to go in the charity shop pile??

I have no doubt at all that the reply will come back as no I'm afraid. Pine cones I understand they are very strict about. The question is, if they do take action against an item(s) I believe you have to pay, so is it worth it? We won't be risking it and will be weeding stuff out in January when we put it all back in the loft. One less job to worry about later in the year!
Old Sep 13th 2016, 6:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond repute

If you put Xmas decorations on the form it rings their bells, so they open that up and then..... Eg if you bring xmas lights list as led lights otherwise dump it as their nspection costs etc are high.
Old Sep 13th 2016, 9:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute

Give em away. It's not worth the hassle.
Old Sep 14th 2016, 4:00 am
BE Enthusiast

SSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond repute

I've told this story many times.
We were unaware but whilst having a cup of tea at the neighbours our shippers packed the bottom half of our welsh dresser into the container (it was not supposed to go) It was full of Xmas decorations, including pine cones, a couple of half full tins of paint and some dirty washing lol. The top half of the welsh dresser was still screwed to the inside of our garage wall where we left it when we moved out.
It all arrived safe an sound in NZ :-/ but no, you shouldn't bring pine cones with you, MAF gets a bit grumpy over stuff like that.
Old Sep 14th 2016, 4:19 pm
Forum Regular

Lisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks everyone, I was hoping this was some kind of urban myth and MAF were rational and understanding of commercially produced pineconery... never to mind... looks like I'll have to part ways with my lovely faux Christmas tree too as it has fake pinecones on it ((sob))
Old Sep 14th 2016, 5:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Damson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks everyone, I was hoping this was some kind of urban myth and MAF were rational and understanding of commercially produced pineconery... never to mind... looks like I'll have to part ways with my lovely faux Christmas tree too as it has fake pinecones on it ((sob))
Aw. Still your loss is a charity shop/school/old folks home's gain.
Old Sep 15th 2016, 1:06 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

If they are fake pine cones then it shouldn't be a problem. I have some Christmas decorations with fake pine cones that never raised an eyebrow from customs coming through the post.
Old Sep 15th 2016, 1:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

believe me you'll get here and wonder what happened to xmas
it seems to disappear in the heat of summer never to be seem again
Old Sep 15th 2016, 8:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

SSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Justcol
believe me you'll get here and wonder what happened to xmas
it seems to disappear in the heat of summer never to be seem again
I wonder that every Xmas, it just feels wrong in the heat of summer. June and July here are the times I get a strong urge to get the fairy lights out and snuggle down with a Baileys and a Christmas movie.
Old Sep 15th 2016, 8:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

I remember one year buying an Xmas tree and a sun parasol in the same shopping trip and feeling very flat about it all. I'd like to not bother with an Xmas tree anymore as it feels so wrong but my boys won't let me.
Old Sep 15th 2016, 8:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SSky
I wonder that every Xmas, it just feels wrong in the heat of summer. June and July here are the times I get a strong urge to get the fairy lights out and snuggle down with a Baileys and a Christmas movie.
Yeah, all the excitement has gone out of Christmas being that it's now in the sun. It does seem wrong to have a Christmas tree and decorations up in summer. There's hardly any time to have the fairy lights on. Gone are the days of driving the kids around the streets looking at people's Christmas displays cos by the time the sun goes down it's way past bed time. Also no snuggling up on the sofa with mince pies and Bailey's watching Christmas movies cos it's too damn warm
But hey, it's a small price to pay for not living in the UK
Old Sep 18th 2016, 12:18 am
BE Forum Addict

RobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond repute

We just cut our pine cones off and still brought the Christmas tree. It was opened and inspected but no problems at all.
Old Sep 18th 2016, 3:44 am
BE Forum Addict

mickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond repute

Ours was opened and inspected, all fine as we knew it was. We never bothered checking when it arrived, but come December we found half of them were missing!!
Old Sep 18th 2016, 4:11 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SSky
I remember one year buying an Xmas tree and a sun parasol in the same shopping trip and feeling very flat about it all. I'd like to not bother with an Xmas tree anymore as it feels so wrong but my boys won't let me.
I remember buying a fake Christmas Tree and a couple of garden chairs from the same shop at the same time and thinking 'only in New Zealand !'

I'll always remember how hot it was as I loaded them into the boot of my car.

Christmas does seem flat in the Summer. I dread it coming as Christmas in the summer is another Christmas wasted.

However, a bbq and Pimms on Christmas Eve seems to take the edge off it somehow !

I take the view that it's daylight in Britain for most of the day on Christmas Day anyway. So, bright sunshine on tinsel and the tree lights twinkling in daylight is not unheard of in Britain.

Our movers advised us that the real pine cones had to be removed from the fake Christmas Tree prior to packing before leaving Britain.

That was before they found mouse droppings in the Fridge/Freezer in the garage so we couldn't pack it so I took it to the local dump on move day. Such fun !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.