British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Christmas Day updates (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/christmas-day-updates-889203/)

MrsFychan Dec 25th 2016 11:18 pm

Christmas Day updates

So what did you get up to??

So we had present opening from about 9am, older kids so no 5.30am start here.
We then prepared the last few bits for dinner and we had another family round with their kids to have lunch with. Actually met them from here so Thanks Heaps for the BE.
Weather wasn't that great, bit drizzly so out door and BBQ abandoned for indoor sitting round the table. Booze started about noon, lunch about 1.30ish. Turkey, ham, pigs in blankets, salad, potato salad - yuk- minted potatoes - yummy, sage n onions sausage rolls. followed later on by trifle, Eton mess, strawberries with choc dips, mince pies and strawberry flan. Skype called Inlaws and watched Its a Wonderful life, apparently the top film to watch at Christmas.
The alcohol flowed freely and Cards against Humanity became a giggling eye streaming mess. Kids couldn't work out why the parents kept going quiet when they entered the room but sniggers and eye wiping carried on.

And we are doing it all again today at theirs with a BBQ guaranteed as the weather is better today and this time lots more friends and their families.

Charismatic Dec 26th 2016 4:12 am

Re: Christmas Day updates

I got one of 'em fish that tells fortunes in a Christmas cracker. Been at least a decade since I got one of those.

Went to my girlfriends house and they where having a BBQ so insisted I have some of those terrible pre-cooked sausages. For some reason, despite my polite declines, her mother thought it essential I had sausages. Tried all tacts even the "I'm afraid they are just too nice, need to watch my waist etc." not having a bar of it so they gave me sausages. So they have a terrier and I thought I'd just sneek it to the dog, problem solved right? So I slipped it under the table cloth, the dog then moved to take the sausage but rather than eating it the dog got it in its chops and headed for the kitchen door from where the sausage had originated and was now filled with the sound of clinking beer bottles her mother was going to get out of the fridge. Realising what the dog was about to do I frantically tried to get its attention with a sort of desperate begging tone. Bloody terrier had it in for me, never looked back. I tried to make an excuse and said "the dog stole my sausage" but was pretty obvious. Much silence followed. One day I'm sure we'll laugh about it...perhaps in a decade or three.

wez130 Dec 26th 2016 9:57 am

I love cards against humanity :D

We woke up at 9ish, cooked a full English breakfast, drove 125 miles to pick my kids up, drove 125 miles back (5 hour round trip). Opened their presents, had party food tea, watched Zootropolis then kids went to bed, we watched TV then went to bed about midnight.

I'm making xmas dinner today as it wasn't possible yesterday.

escapedtonz Dec 27th 2016 7:32 pm

Woke up at 5.30am with shouts of "He's been He's been!" from No 1 son.
Spent the next while watching him open his presents before we woke up No 2 son just after 7am. Opened up all of his presents and ours, lots of playing with toys, a modest breakfast then spent a while building scooters and basketball hoops till mid morning. Weather was really nice.....again!
Mrs started cooking and I cracked open a cold one!
We invited a new Ex Pat family over for Christmas Dinner. They arrived 3 months ago and like us have no family here so thought it a good as our first Chrismas alone was a bit lonely. They arrived 1pm so fun and games for a few hours and lots of catching up.
Mid afternoon we visited Kiwi friends nearby who live close to our section where we are building. They have 9 acres, horses, quad bikes etc and having a kids Xmas Party so pool was out and a slip n slide. No 1 son had a ball. Met some really nice people there. Lady of the house is a chef so the nibble food was outtanding but too stuffed for anything else. Arrived home early evening to get the kids bathed and to bed then it was leftovers for dinner and a Christmas movie while still trying to clear the fridge of beersies. All in all a quiet, but pretty good day.
Boxing Day was spent on the beach from late morning till mid afternoon then home for a rest before we all went to The Mount Pilot Bay to watch Ovation Of The Seas depart Tauranga Harbour with thousands of others. Was huge and awesome.
Back to reality yesterday. Spent the whole day with spade in hand planting Agapanthas on the section.

Pom_Chch Dec 28th 2016 3:18 am

Originally Posted by Charismatic (Post 12136547)
Went to my girlfriends house and they where having a BBQ so insisted I have some of those terrible pre-cooked sausages.

Is that those Saveloy things? The red ones? If so that's one Kiwi staple I just cannot do. When I asked what they were at a potluck I was told confidently they were like English cocktail sausages. They most definitely are not :mad:

BEVS Dec 28th 2016 3:35 am

Originally Posted by Pom_Chch (Post 12137514)
Is that those Saveloy things? The red ones? If so that's one Kiwi staple I just cannot do. When I asked what they were at a potluck I was told confidently they were like English cocktail sausages. They most definitely are not :mad:

:lol: So true.

MrsFychan Dec 28th 2016 7:15 am

not even mini Savloys

Mishclark Dec 29th 2016 11:07 am

I had a nice day at home with my two girls, as my family all live far from each other, we met up at one of my sisters houses in Sydney the week before.

I cooked lunch for the first time ever, the first time I have ever done a turkey and it turned out good! I am a bit funny, I don't care if it was 36 degrees, I still cooked a baked dinner, although we had prawns as well for the girls. Plus a pavlova and my first time dodgy looking trifle!

We opened our pressies in the morning, I drank some aldi bubbly that my mum gave me, then proceeded to break my toe on boxing day. I'm not sure if the Aldi grog and the foot were connected, but I never do things by halves!

Love reading other people's updates..

Michelle :)

SSky Jan 3rd 2017 11:23 pm

Originally Posted by Charismatic (Post 12136547)
I got one of 'em fish that tells fortunes in a Christmas cracker. Been at least a decade since I got one of those.

Yah! We got one too! Best fun from a cracker ever ... or at least nostalgic anyhows.
I wanted one of those plastic moustaches that makes your eyes water when you try to wear it but no luck this year again.
The plastic selection of cr*p that came out of the crackers this year was surprisingly good and I only paid $6 a box so I was happy as!

MrsFychan Jan 4th 2017 6:39 am

we got a plastic moustache, could of sent it to you but think it got thrown out with the other rubbish or the dog ate it :)

SSky Jan 4th 2017 9:26 pm

Originally Posted by MrsFychan (Post 12142171)
we got a plastic moustache, could of sent it to you but think it got thrown out with the other rubbish or the dog ate it :)

:rofl: