Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Christmas in Christchurch area

Christmas in Christchurch area

Old Aug 20th 2007, 12:25 pm
Forum Regular

jrob has a spectacular aura aboutjrob has a spectacular aura aboutjrob has a spectacular aura about
Default Christmas in Christchurch area

Hi all, My wife an I are visiting NZ during December 07. As we will be spending Chrismas in the Christchurch area can anyone recommend a hotel where we could celebrate Chrismas/Boxing day.
Old Aug 20th 2007, 8:05 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice
Default Re: Christmas in Christchurch area

Originally Posted by jrob
Hi all, My wife an I are visiting NZ during December 07. As we will be spending Christmas in the Christchurch area can anyone recommend a hotel where we could celebrate Christmas/Boxing day.
What sort of amenities are you looking for and what sort of budget will you be on?
Old Aug 21st 2007, 9:39 am
Forum Regular

jrob has a spectacular aura aboutjrob has a spectacular aura aboutjrob has a spectacular aura about

Hi Happynz
we are thinking centrally located hotels like the Copthorne, Millenium.
We don't know what to expect i.e. are they fully open offering normal service? What happens in Christchurch at Christmas?
Old Aug 21st 2007, 2:07 pm
Forum Regular

jackietyfry is just really nicejackietyfry is just really nicejackietyfry is just really nicejackietyfry is just really nicejackietyfry is just really nicejackietyfry is just really nicejackietyfry is just really nicejackietyfry is just really nicejackietyfry is just really nicejackietyfry is just really nicejackietyfry is just really nice

I suppose you're wondering how they do xmas over there? Do they celebrate Boxing Day for example? Is xmas more like ours the futher south you go I wonder - as the weather is not quite as hot and humid as up north?
I guess you just want to go somewhere where there is a sense of the occasion and to "celebrate".
We went to Boston once (fab city) over Thanksgiving and thought it would give us a chance to experience an American tradition but soon realise that everyone spends that time with their families and absolutely everything was shut down
You going on a holiday or a recce?
Jackie
Old Aug 21st 2007, 3:46 pm
Forum Regular

hI jackie,
That is exactly what we want to know.
We are going on a holiday/recce. (US,NZ & OZ) We have been to OZ a couple of times but not to NZ hence the question
Old Aug 21st 2007, 4:33 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

The Copthorne and Millenium will both be open for business. Do be aware that Christmas and Boxing Day are statutory holidays. It's pretty quiet those days. Most business will be shut. Well, a few do open on Boxing day.
Old Aug 21st 2007, 8:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

teambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by jrob
Hi Happynz
we are thinking centrally located hotels like the Copthorne, Millenium.
We don't know what to expect i.e. are they fully open offering normal service? What happens in Christchurch at Christmas?
Father christmas visits of course, don't you know anything?
Old Aug 21st 2007, 8:40 pm
Forum Regular

jackietyfry is just really nicejackietyfry is just really nicejackietyfry is just really nicejackietyfry is just really nicejackietyfry is just really nicejackietyfry is just really nicejackietyfry is just really nicejackietyfry is just really nicejackietyfry is just really nicejackietyfry is just really nicejackietyfry is just really nice

Old Aug 22nd 2007, 9:33 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by niseysOH
Father christmas visits of course, don't you know anything?
Ho! Ho! Ho!