Wikiposts

Christmas!

Old Dec 9th 2011, 1:46 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Christmas!

Originally Posted by BEVS
I love the stocking concept.

Mine was a sort of crepe paper and string affair .It was edged with red crepe paper but the rest was string netting. I think Mum may have bought them from Woolies . My first memory of them was at 4 years old.
You went to bed and in the morning you could move your feet under the bedding and hear the rustle at the bottom of the bed. Would be pitch dark of course but sooooo exciting.
We weren't allowed to just get up and jump around making noise. M'Dad would have worked very late on Christmas Eve & be working Christmas Day morning also most years. So we'd wait for Mum .
Mine would have things like a snow globe. A kaleidoscope. Join the dots book.

The Christmas tree wouldn't appear in it's dazzling, tinsel ,glory until Christmas Day . Christmas eve was for story telling and family board games.

Pure magic.

That feeling of something heavy on my feet & then the rustle of paper, that takes me back. I used to wake up at about 3am. The younger of my two elder brothers would hear me switching my light on & bring his stocking into my room to open. Woebetide him if he woke my eldest brother up . Then we would open up our presents in our stockings, eat a few sweets, do a few puzzles & then wonder if we dared go downstairs.

Happy days.
Old Dec 9th 2011, 8:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix
That feeling of something heavy on my feet & then the rustle of paper, that takes me back. I used to wake up at about 3am. The younger of my two elder brothers would hear me switching my light on & bring his stocking into my room to open. Woebetide him if he woke my eldest brother up . Then we would open up our presents in our stockings, eat a few sweets, do a few puzzles & then wonder if we dared go downstairs.

Happy days.
Our stockings were hung up and we were told that if we touched them before 7am they would disappear....I can tell you we were never going to test that out

My earliest memory is of a chocolate mouse falling off the stocking into my cot and waking up covered in melted chocolaate
Old Dec 9th 2011, 9:31 pm
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

That's me, I'm dead posh . I have a feeling that I'm older than you, so they must have been invented then.

Of course, it could be a case of "Me being, considerably richer than yow"
All right then did your mum go to Woolies and buy sheets of different coloured sticky paper so you kids could sit down and cut strips and lengths with scissors so you could daisy chain your decorations and hang them from the room corners and all meet at the lamp in the room centre.......
If not then you are too young or were too rich.....
Old Dec 9th 2011, 9:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

My 1st xmas on my own this year but tree is going up anyway
and the xmas spirit will definitely be flowing
Old Dec 9th 2011, 9:44 pm

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Justcol
My 1st xmas on my own this year but tree is going up anyway
and the xmas spirit will definitely be flowing
That's the way...when you can see two tree's then Xmas has begun...
Old Dec 10th 2011, 8:38 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stormer999
All right then did your mum go to Woolies and buy sheets of different coloured sticky paper so you kids could sit down and cut strips and lengths with scissors so you could daisy chain your decorations and hang them from the room corners and all meet at the lamp in the room centre.......
If not then you are too young or were too rich.....
No! Mother would not have been seen dead in Woolies . We used to buy the books of specially made paper chain paper

I'm obviously much, much younger than you
Old Dec 10th 2011, 9:09 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Yes

and also to try and make lanterns.
Old Dec 10th 2011, 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by BEVS
Yes

and also to try and make lanterns.
Ah yes forgotten about them.... It really made Xmas though didn't it?

That's the strange thing in our lives you can never go 'back' or 'home' as they were never points in a place they were a point in time when the place and time came together. Then again history was never a subject I took to.
Old Dec 10th 2011, 6:36 pm

No! Mother would not have been seen dead in Woolies . We used to buy the books of specially made paper chain paper

I'm obviously much, much younger than you
And posher...
Old Dec 10th 2011, 6:55 pm

sheene is an unknown quantity at this point

Ah yes forgotten about them.... It really made Xmas though didn't it?

That's the strange thing in our lives you can never go 'back' or 'home' as they were never points in a place they were a point in time when the place and time came together. Then again history was never a subject I took to.
But people still try and recreate it, and wonder why it never seems the same.

Grandad was in charge of the remote, sat in 'his' chair, puffing away on a cigar, wearing a paper hat that was progressively turning a darker shade due to the Brylcream, wearing the new cardigan we got him - the ones with those leather buttons. Gran, sat there smiling inanely as the Sherry took hold. All of us completely stuffed, sat down in the lounge, waiting eagerly for the Morecambe and Wise Christmas special.

Last edited by sheene; Dec 10th 2011 at 6:59 pm.
Old Dec 10th 2011, 7:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

UKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sheene
But people still try and recreate it, and wonder why it never seems the same.

Grandad was in charge of the remote, sat in 'his' chair, puffing away on a cigar, wearing a paper hat that was progressively turning a darker shade due to the Brylcream, wearing the new cardigan we got him - the ones with those leather buttons. Gran, sat there smiling inanely as the Sherry took hold. All of us completely stuffed, sat down in the lounge, waiting eagerly for the Morecambe and Wise Christmas special.
I'm slightly homesick now! I love Christmas here, but just this year (our 5th Christmas in NZ) I'd like to go back and do it with all my family and friends
Old Dec 10th 2011, 7:04 pm

For the sake of historical accuracy, the 'remote' was one of those early ones with one huge button, which cycled through the channels. As you pressed it, an almighty click came out, that had Bats 10 miles away looking at each other and saying 'WTF was that?".
Old Dec 10th 2011, 7:07 pm

For the sake of historical accuracy, the 'remote' was one of those early ones with one huge button, which cycled through the channels. As you pressed it, an almighty click came out, that had Bats 10 miles away looking at each other and saying 'WTF was that?".
Ha ha.. and did it have a long black wire leading into the back of the TV...
Old Dec 10th 2011, 7:43 pm

Ha ha.. and did it have a long black wire leading into the back of the TV...
I know the ones you mean - but this was one of the first wireless remotes - I think it worked on an audio pulse - hence the loud 'click'. Do you remember those early push buttons on the TV's - you had to press them in about an inch, and there was a lovely mechanical 'kerthunk' sound. As a child, you felt so important!
Old Dec 10th 2011, 9:33 pm

I know the ones you mean - but this was one of the first wireless remotes - I think it worked on an audio pulse - hence the loud 'click'. Do you remember those early push buttons on the TV's - you had to press them in about an inch, and there was a lovely mechanical 'kerthunk' sound. As a child, you felt so important!
I do and you are so right...even the sound...
At least with the hard wired remote you could always find the hand set....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.