Reload this Page >

In Christchurch, on work visa until Jan 2012

In Christchurch, on work visa until Jan 2012

Old Dec 26th 2010, 11:26 pm
Just Joined

bexmcd75 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default In Christchurch, on work visa until Jan 2012

Hi Everybody!
I'm new to this site but think it's a great idea! I'm 35 and from Devon in the UK and I've been travelling for about 8 years looking for a place to call home! I've already spent 2 years on a working holiday visa in New Zealand and travelled around in my lovely campervan called 'Gypsy!' I went back to the UK to look after my Dad. My Dad passed away last Christmas and I stayed to help my Mum for a while.
I've just arrived back in New Zealand with a work visa until Jan 2012. I haven't got work yet but hope to find a job that will help me get a further work visa so that I can apply for residency. I usually work as a Support Worker for adults with learning difficulties (Autism etc) I have an NVQ and about 5 years experience.
I've just arrived in Christchurch to pick up Gypsy and hit the road again! My ideal area to work would be somewhere near Nelson, but I'm open to anywhere that will help me to get residency. Now that I've made up my mind to live here, I'm ready to have a home base as soon as possible!
Anybody that has any advice or contacts that might help me to acheive this would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks
Bex
Old Dec 27th 2010, 4:25 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: In Christchurch, on work visa until Jan 2012

Hi there and welcome to this wee NZ forum

I'm a bit confused but that's not hard for me. You've already used up your quota of working holiday visa for NZ from what you say.

I've just arrived back in New Zealand with a work visa until Jan 2012. I haven't got work yet but hope to find a job
I don't understand. Do you have a job? You say not. What visa did you re-enter New Zealand with.
Old Dec 27th 2010, 9:20 am
Just Joined

bexmcd75 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Bev,
Thanks for the welcome. I can understand why you might be confused! I have used up all my Working Holiday Visa. Then I found a visa through BUNAC which is partnered with IEP, they offer a 1 year visa that is very similar to the Working Holiday Visa (I had to be in UK to apply), but for people aged 18-35 (I was just in time as I'm 35 now!) So it allows me to work any job (just like Working Holiday Visa) up until Jan 2012. So my aim is to enjoy travelling for a little while and then look for work that will accept me on my current visa and help me to get a further work visa based on the job. I believe after 2 years I can apply for residency. So any assistance or suggestions that people have would be great!
Hope that makes sense!
Bex
Old Dec 27th 2010, 10:56 am
MnB

MnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond repute

Hi and welcome from me too!
Not to sure about your planned visa options but at least you've got a bit of time to unravel the immigration rules and you'll find lots of helpful people and information on here......just post away in the main NZ forum or use the search facility, you might find the 'meet ups' section a good place to contact new friends once you've decided on an area to settle in.
Good luck with your job hunt
B x