Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Christchurch visit

Christchurch visit

Old Dec 14th 2005, 1:09 am
Forum Regular

Herm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant future
Default Christchurch visit

Have decided to leave the sunny north in mid Feb and drive the kids down to Uni in Dunedin. As we have never been to Christchurch thought we would stop over on the way back for a couple of days of R&R.

To all of you living in and around Christchurch how should we spend the 2 days and what sights, sounds, events etc should we definately NOT miss.

Cheers
Old Dec 14th 2005, 1:22 am

bookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Christchurch visit

Originally Posted by Herm
Have decided to leave the sunny north in mid Feb and drive the kids down to Uni in Dunedin. As we have never been to Christchurch thought we would stop over on the way back for a couple of days of R&R.

To all of you living in and around Christchurch how should we spend the 2 days and what sights, sounds, events etc should we definately NOT miss.

Cheers
We've not managed to do any of the touristy things yet but I can get and send you a handful of the tourist brochures if you want. Otherwise, this site has some good links www.ccc.govt.nz
Old Dec 14th 2005, 1:35 am
turkeytickler

Cheers
Not sure if your route takes you past Kaikoura but if it does you must try the crayfish from one of the caravans along the road....you can also go whale watching/dolphin swimming if you havent already done that up north....

Hanmer Springs is supposed to be nice but I have not been myself ...

You could go for a nice scenic drive over the port hills to Akaroa (if you can handle being tailgated all the way up and down again by maniacs in 50 year old subarus with lowered suspension)

To be honest im struggling to think of things to do/see in ChCh of any real note, there is the Antarctic Centre (again i havent been but am told (BY KIWIS before anyone gets upset) that its expensive and boring), Orana Wildlife Park is good and has Kiwis, the centre of town is a bit dull to be honest..... theres always the "strup" (Oxford Terrace) for a spot of lunch if the weather is nice i suppose.... the typical tourist traps are the gondola, the tram, punting on the river.... but nothing particularly wonderful or unique to ChCh..... lots of nice japanese restaurants if thats your thing...

One major pasttime that i see locals endulging in whilst im out cycling is hanging around Mccleans Island near the airport watching the 747s come in - it is quite captivating actually.... but im not sure i would make the trip out especially!

Old Dec 14th 2005, 1:51 am
Forum Regular

Herm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by turkeytickler
One major pasttime that i see locals endulging in whilst im out cycling is hanging around Mccleans Island near the airport watching the 747s come in - it is quite captivating actually.... but im not sure i would make the trip out especially!
Thanks for that TT. Kaikoura/Crayfish has been added to my list. Think I'll give the 747's a miss though - 20 years of living on the Heathrow flight path totally destroyed any interest I had in planes.
Old Dec 14th 2005, 1:57 am
livewire

The Anarctic centre (nothing like the real thing, believe me) is for kids and grandparents. I had a laugh dressing up in the suit and going into the ice room whilst they turned the fans on. Can't remember how much it was to get in.

Orana park was a good day out and we enjoyed that a lot, it was winter when we visited and very quiet so we had the place much to ourselves.

There isn't that much in ChCh though and we headed out to Arthurs Pass for a day which was excellent and over to Greymouth (which wasn't worth the petrol) Beaches are ok but nothing like as good as those in the North Island. A drive over to the Banks is quite an interesting experience, if you like rally driving .

Old Dec 14th 2005, 2:01 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by bookemjano
We've not managed to do any of the touristy things yet but I can get and send you a handful of the tourist brochures if you want. Otherwise, this site has some good links www.ccc.govt.nz
The web site looks good. Will explore when I'm at home and have more time. Shame you've not managed to do any of the touristy things yet - its always good to play the tourist even if only for a day or two.

Akaroa.......French (ish) ????? Worth a drive out?
Old Dec 14th 2005, 3:23 am
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

The web site looks good. Will explore when I'm at home and have more time. Shame you've not managed to do any of the touristy things yet - its always good to play the tourist even if only for a day or two.

Akaroa.......French (ish) ????? Worth a drive out?
Not much French about Akaroa except the street names. It's a really nice spot though, and some of the other bay saround the harbour are good for swimming etc
Old Dec 16th 2005, 11:24 am

Lenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to behold

Cheers
Castle Hill just an hours drive out of CHCH. Absolutely loved the big stones. Its on your left as you pass a ski place, but watch out for it as its easy to miss it.
Old Dec 17th 2005, 6:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Joshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers
check out www.jasons.com - put in christchurch and it comes up with list of attractions that you might want to consider.
Vicki
Old Dec 17th 2005, 9:17 pm
Account Closed

Apple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of light

Cheers
Hi Herm,
Nobody has mentioned the Port Hills yet. These are the playground for people living in the south of the city, heaps of walking trails, mountainbike tracks etc. If you are in the city drive south down Colombo st (main road through the middle of town) until you hit a roundabout at the bottom of the hills. Head straight through and up Dyer's Pass Rd. Halfway up the hill is a cafe called the "Cup", excellent coffee and lovely views across to the southern alps. Keep going up the hill to the Sign of the Kiwi. Park and walk to your left. There are walking tracks up here with excellent views, eg a 1 hour circumnavigation of the Sugarloaf gives you good views across Lyttleton Harbour then back around to over the city to the Alps. The Sign of the Kiwi does excellent cheese and pineapple toasties, or take your picnic to one of many vantage points to your right along the summit road.
Or walk up and over the Bridle Path, the main route for early settlers arriving by boat in Lyttleton and needing to get over the hills to Christchurch. I still don't know how they managed to get their pianos over the pass!
Driving out to Sumner for fish and chips on the beach, then driving back along the summit road in the evening is lovely.
The standard day trips are to Hanmer (1 hr 30 each way), fantastic hot pools and lots of walking/mountainbiking) or to Akaroa as mentioned above. Exploring Banks Peninsula can take up a day, lots of little winding roads down to tiny bays, a different way of life. I guess that you may be doing plenty of driving anyway though.
Lots of lovely gardens to see too, my favourite is Ohinitahi in Governer's Bay. PM me if you want directions.
If you want to shop like a tourist go to the Arts Centre in town, if you want to shop like a local go to the Riccarton Market at the Riccarton Racecourse on Sun 9-2pm. It is huge and it is best to be there early.
The best Thai restaurant in town is Kanniga's at 18a Papanui Rd.

Hope this helps, PM me if you want any more ideas.
Old Dec 18th 2005, 5:04 am
Isle of Wight Chick

silvermuse has a brilliant futuresilvermuse has a brilliant futuresilvermuse has a brilliant futuresilvermuse has a brilliant futuresilvermuse has a brilliant futuresilvermuse has a brilliant future

i would suggest that u try and avoid christchurch at night. it can get pretty seedy and dodgy, what with hookers, boy racers and god knows what else on the streets.
Old Dec 18th 2005, 6:02 am
Account Closed

Apple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by silvermuse
i would suggest that u try and avoid christchurch at night. it can get pretty seedy and dodgy, what with hookers, boy racers and god knows what else on the streets.
You might want to specify which parts, Silvermuse, as every city has it's darker side...

Areas that are fine (IMO, ie that I would be fine about walking around alone): The Strip (Oxford Tce), Arts Centre, Worcester St, Victoria St, Riccarton.

Don't forget that as it doesn't get dark until 9:30pm that still gives you heaps of daylight hours to wander about in.

In my area of Beckenham there are heaps of cafes/restaurants open at night, so plenty of options out of the city centre too.
Old Dec 18th 2005, 6:54 pm
turkeytickler

Originally Posted by Apple12
You might want to specify which parts, Silvermuse, as every city has it's darker side...

Areas that are fine (IMO, ie that I would be fine about walking around alone): The Strip (Oxford Tce), Arts Centre, Worcester St, Victoria St, Riccarton.

Don't forget that as it doesn't get dark until 9:30pm that still gives you heaps of daylight hours to wander about in.

In my area of Beckenham there are heaps of cafes/restaurants open at night, so plenty of options out of the city centre too.
The Strip, City Mall or Cashell Street or whatever they call it, and Cathedral Sq I would def avoid at night....

Old Dec 19th 2005, 5:16 am
Isle of Wight Chick

silvermuse has a brilliant futuresilvermuse has a brilliant futuresilvermuse has a brilliant futuresilvermuse has a brilliant futuresilvermuse has a brilliant futuresilvermuse has a brilliant future

def avoid manchester st and colombo can be pretty dodgy at times.
Old Dec 19th 2005, 10:46 am
Mrs Shep USCIS Graduate

shepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by turkeytickler
The Strip, City Mall or Cashell Street or whatever they call it, and Cathedral Sq I would def avoid at night....
Agree that cathederal square is a place probably to be avoided at night but The Strip & Cashel Mall??? These places are ok but can be over run by bosterous young people who are having a night on the town cruising from one club to another.Obviously not a place that one would take a young family but definately ok for adults to venture into. Also not what really somewhere one would go if wanting to do the tourist thing now is it?
Family orientated things to see & do depend on what your family is into. The Art Centre is a great place to spend an afternoon over the weekend, as is Riccarton Market on a sunday morning. QE11 not too bad for the kids. The Gondola ride up the port hills is worth doing if you have the time. Driving through the road tunnel to the Port of Lyttelton & then around the bays is nice on a warm summers day too. Hagley Park is a nice place to go to for a walk through the gardens. Rowing on the avon (Boat rentals available near the hospital) Mona Vale in Merivale is a nice place for a spot of afternoon tea. Punting on the Avon, winerys on the outskirts of Christchurch,the beaches while not as nice as many up north are ok for swimming & walking Akaroa is lovely if the weather is nice, tends to get rather cold if the wind is blowing but always a nice place to sit on the wharf & eat fish & chips & although the French influence isnt as obvious as it used to be its still rather quaint. Hanmer Springs is a great place with the hot pools & bush walks & great at any time of the year. Nothing like sitting in the hot pools during winter with snow all around Orana Park wouldnt be high on my list of things to do but kids often enjoy it as they do going to Willowbank wildlife park too. while some of these places can be a little pricey try going to the visitors information bureau & asking them for advice they can suggest lots of places to go to that are fun & inexpensive.
The weathers still pretty nice in Feb so Im sure you will have fun & find plenty to do

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.