Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Christchurch v BOP

Christchurch v BOP

Old Jul 2nd 2005, 5:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Joshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Christchurch v BOP

We are into the final furlong - visa's in passports, house sold, shippers nearly decided on, about to book tickets but we can't decide where to go.

I know there have been some general canters about the benefits of different places so sorry if some of you have to repeat your advice. we were set on going to BOP but have recently been looking at Christchurch. In terms of housing it looks like we could get more for our money but would really appreciate the thoughts of those in the know.

Pro's and cons of Christchurch v BOP please.
Old Jul 2nd 2005, 6:38 pm

scottish is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Christchurch v BOP

Originally Posted by Joshlin
We are into the final furlong - visa's in passports, house sold, shippers nearly decided on, about to book tickets but we can't decide where to go.

I know there have been some general canters about the benefits of different places so sorry if some of you have to repeat your advice. we were set on going to BOP but have recently been looking at Christchurch. In terms of housing it looks like we could get more for our money but would really appreciate the thoughts of those in the know.

Pro's and cons of Christchurch v BOP please.
When we decidede to leave Auckland for pastures new we had the choice of BOP versus CHCH. The company in CHCH flew us down to check the place out and meet the guys who ran the company. Granted it was a Winters day and raining but we preferred BOP and settled there. CHCH to us looked boring and very flat. The streets reminded us of any place in the UK and the town centre was yuck!!! But it was raining so that probably put a damper on things.

We personally preffered the warmer climate, palm trees and the beach life that the BOP offered. Yes, housing is more expensive (but there are still some cheap up and coming areas) and dependant on your line of work you may be limited if you want to move companies.

My friend is in CHCH and loves it so I reckon its all down to personal taste and what you want from a place.
Old Jul 2nd 2005, 7:59 pm
Forum Regular

lippy will become famous soon enough

Where is bop?
Old Jul 2nd 2005, 8:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Joshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lippy
Where is bop?

sorry - bay of plenty
Old Jul 2nd 2005, 10:00 pm
Forum Regular

Merlot12 will become famous soon enoughMerlot12 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by scottish
CHCH to us looked boring and very flat. The streets reminded us of any place in the UK and the town centre was yuck!!!
Christchurch flat????!!!

I don't know if you saw those hill shaped things just to the south of the city, they are called the Port Hills, up to 1200 feet high, and are the city's playground. Head up after work and see people rockclimbing, mountainbiking, running, walking, kite flying, paraponting....

The Port Hills and Lyttleton Harbour are left over from a volcano blowing its top a few million years ago.

Can't agree with the town streets being like the UK either, and the independant clothes shops in the city centre are much better than the clone shops on the UK high street. Of course this is just my humble opinion after living in Christchurch for 6 years and in various parts of the UK for 3 years.

Search for posts under my name to see why I am very happy to be heading back to Christchurch in a few months.

Merlot.

Last edited by Merlot12; Jul 2nd 2005 at 10:40 pm.
Old Jul 2nd 2005, 11:25 pm
Account Closed

Sega Mad is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

We started off with being mostly into ChCh (It was designed by Colonel Light who did Adelaide in Oz where I grew up) We are now set on the BOP. Housing prices are not exclusively expensive and the climate looks good. ChCh may be climatically too similar to the UK and that kinda puts me off a bit. Having said that I find myself in love with NZ both north and south. It would be difficult to make any final decision until we are over there. I am fortunate in having a very movable job so would be in demand anywhere. We could be spoilt for choice.

I reckon it ultimately comes down to whether you want a city life or a town life. Chrisstchurch strikes me as more City-like than Tauranga or Rotorua for example.

Regards
Old Jul 3rd 2005, 7:22 am
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Colonel Light - was he the one who invented diet fried chicken?

Originally Posted by Sega Mad
Hi,

We started off with being mostly into ChCh (It was designed by Colonel Light who did Adelaide in Oz where I grew up) We are now set on the BOP. Housing prices are not exclusively expensive and the climate looks good. ChCh may be climatically too similar to the UK and that kinda puts me off a bit. Having said that I find myself in love with NZ both north and south. It would be difficult to make any final decision until we are over there. I am fortunate in having a very movable job so would be in demand anywhere. We could be spoilt for choice.

I reckon it ultimately comes down to whether you want a city life or a town life. Chrisstchurch strikes me as more City-like than Tauranga or Rotorua for example.

Regards
Old Jul 3rd 2005, 11:22 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Well I think Christchurch is lovely but I have never visited the North Island ... Yet .

I wouldn't live in the city though, we live in the surroundings just outside Rangiora and are very happy with the area and schools.

Christchurch is very flat it is the surrounding countryside that is mountainous and you can see the mountains all around you. They are very beautiful and I can never get enough of seeing them.

The weather IS very British which I quite like but just sometimes could do with a bit more warmth.

If you move to Christchurch make sure you either move into a very well insulated home or at the very least it has a wood burner in it. Both would be nice if you can find it
Old Jul 3rd 2005, 1:06 pm

bookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by sky
Well I think Christchurch is lovely but I have never visited the North Island ... Yet .

I wouldn't live in the city though, we live in the surroundings just outside Rangiora and are very happy with the area and schools.

Christchurch is very flat it is the surrounding countryside that is mountainous and you can see the mountains all around you. They are very beautiful and I can never get enough of seeing them.

The weather IS very British which I quite like but just sometimes could do with a bit more warmth.

If you move to Christchurch make sure you either move into a very well insulated home or at the very least it has a wood burner in it. Both would be nice if you can find it
Sky - Rangiora really appeals to us but my husband would probably only find decent work in Christchurch centre. Any idea how long the commute would be? Any idea on part time local jobs in or near Rangiora for me (secretary/admin and policy assistant experience)?
Old Jul 3rd 2005, 7:21 pm
Account Closed

Sega Mad is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lapsed kiwi
Colonel Light - was he the one who invented diet fried chicken?
LOL

No. It was Elvis's manager, The Colonel Parker-Bowels, who invented diet fried chicken (alas to late to save his boy wonder who became very fat indeed while on the lavatory).

Colonel Light invented Adelaide, Christchurch and the sun. You can see him partially naked on page 3 if you shield your eyes from the intense glare.

Regards
Old Jul 3rd 2005, 7:53 pm

scottish is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sky

That will be my friend who loves it then... Hi pet!!!
Old Jul 3rd 2005, 9:26 pm
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scottish
That will be my friend who loves it then... Hi pet!!!
Hi there
Old Jul 3rd 2005, 9:28 pm
sky
Banned

Originally Posted by bookemjano
Sky - Rangiora really appeals to us but my husband would probably only find decent work in Christchurch centre. Any idea how long the commute would be? Any idea on part time local jobs in or near Rangiora for me (secretary/admin and policy assistant experience)?
Commute time to Christchurch can be 35 to 45 mins depending on the time you set off, the weather etc. Lots of part time jobs in Rangiora, there always seems to be secretarial jobs advertised and medical receptionists etc. It's a thriving area is Rangiora

Last edited by sky; Jul 3rd 2005 at 9:30 pm.
Old Jul 4th 2005, 8:48 am
Forum Regular

SteveDK is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sky
Commute time to Christchurch can be 35 to 45 mins depending on the time you set off, the weather etc. Lots of part time jobs in Rangiora, there always seems to be secretarial jobs advertised and medical receptionists etc. It's a thriving area is Rangiora
I loved Christchurch and the environs. Rangiora is our second choice to live in, Kaiaipoi our first and Ilam in Christchurch third and final.
Old Jul 4th 2005, 11:44 am

bookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by SteveDK
I loved Christchurch and the environs. Rangiora is our second choice to live in, Kaiaipoi our first and Ilam in Christchurch third and final.
Hi - what persuaded you to go for Kaiaipoi instead of Rangiora?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.