Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

The Christchurch thread

The Christchurch thread

Old Feb 1st 2015, 7:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Christchurch thread

Originally Posted by Junfan26
Hi board, we're also moving to ChCh soon, family of 6 (four kids). I'll be arriving for a look around next week, anyone got any helpful hints and tips on areas I should look at property and school wise? I'll be working near the airport.
Airport Business Park????

I'd check out the Hornby area. Very, very easy to get to the Airport Business Park and at a reasonable cost
Old Feb 2nd 2015, 12:32 am
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

If you want close to the airport then Avonhead, Hornby, Hei Hei and those towards the western edge are all good. Some are better than others but none of the areas are places to avoid at all costs.

I lived in Hei Hei [10mins from the airport], the area is a bit old and shabby but the houses on the far west edge are around 10 years old, newer and quite tidy - however the rent will be considerably higher than the older areas. All depends on how much you can afford to spend. That may well be the limiting factor rather than proximity to the airport.
Old Feb 13th 2015, 8:54 am
Just Joined

ellakendo is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello everyone, we are due to arrive in NZ in 3 weeks time and will be living in Rolleston. I know it's a Christchurch thread but wanted to ask if anyone else on this forum lives in Rolleston to ask few questions related to the area. Thank
Old Feb 14th 2015, 6:26 pm
Forum Regular

Toodles23 is on a distinguished road

Hi

I'm in Rolleston so I'll try to help if I can
Old Feb 27th 2015, 12:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Tom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond repute

Roll up, roll up - place your bets here please, place your bets. TAB are offering the following

Odds on Man to start living in Mars in 30 years time $1.85

Odds on Christchurch roads to be completed in 30 years time $18.46

Christchurch faces 30 more years of rough roads | Stuff.co.nz

So much for this completion by 2020!

If anyone knows of any roadwork men who are looking for jobs, come on over. For just $25 an hour, you'll reap the benefits of mountains, lakes and wildlife
Old Mar 1st 2015, 11:01 am
Just Joined

Slawton1993 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi I will be moving to Christchurch in June, we're going to open a New Zealand bank account from England but we want to get the most from our money, most banks seem to take a processing fee, would it be easier to take cash over with us in our hand luggage and put it into our account when we get there, or is it just worth doing it online and getting charged? Thanks in advance.
Old Mar 1st 2015, 2:08 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Slawton1993
Hi I will be moving to Christchurch in June, we're going to open a New Zealand bank account from England but we want to get the most from our money, most banks seem to take a processing fee, would it be easier to take cash over with us in our hand luggage and put it into our account when we get there, or is it just worth doing it online and getting charged? Thanks in advance.
lots of people use exchange brokers. I personally use HiFx and if you are transferring anything over £3000 there is no fee transfer from the brokers and under that amount its £7. you may get some bank charges but I never have. As far as I am aware HiFx use Barclays in the UK (as do I) and the transfers have always been fairly quick into my ANZ bank account.
Old Mar 3rd 2015, 6:54 pm
Forum Regular

e4ebs is just really nicee4ebs is just really nicee4ebs is just really nicee4ebs is just really nicee4ebs is just really nicee4ebs is just really nicee4ebs is just really nicee4ebs is just really nice

The Northern Motorway...

What on earth has happened in the last month or so?

Last year I used to be able to get to work 50 minutes every day apart from Fridays which was 40 minutes. This morning took me 1hr 20 minutes - and it was worse yesterday... tempted to start cycling!!

Does anyone know of any roadworks being done, or is it simply the amount of people moving out to North Canterbury?
Old Mar 3rd 2015, 7:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond repute

Over the last couple of weeks my route home has been slowed considerably. Can't see any new road works but everything heading north and east is much heavier than normal (peer street, waimari rd, creyke road, clyde road, heaton street etc). Still it was only 25mins compared to the normal 15mins, so no biggie.
Old Mar 3rd 2015, 8:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Woodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond repute

The length of my trip in from Rangiora in the mornings hasn't changed but I leave at 6.10. Going home has got worse and I think it is to do with road works on Prestons and Marshlands. I can't see it getting any better as they will be upgrading Prestons Rd soon and this will force traffic elsewhere. Fortunately I have flexi-time so can leave work half an hour earlier to beat the traffic
Whatever happened to the plain smile Smilie?
Old Mar 4th 2015, 6:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by e4ebs
The Northern Motorway...

What on earth has happened in the last month or so?

Last year I used to be able to get to work 50 minutes every day apart from Fridays which was 40 minutes. This morning took me 1hr 20 minutes - and it was worse yesterday... tempted to start cycling!!

Does anyone know of any roadworks being done, or is it simply the amount of people moving out to North Canterbury?
I've given up on beating the traffic. You'd probably have to leave at around 5:30am.

I would have recommended you try at around 08:15 but even then now is a pain in the backside. I took SSkys advice on here and it worked for a while but now is just as slow. I left at 08:40 one day and didn't get in until 09:35 - that was the last time I left after 8am

It's a case of crawling and bearing with it. As the residents of Christchurch say, you chose to live there, you deal with it. I do love a press commentator moan about Waimak residents in particular

It'll never be like Auckland or Wellington where you have a decent choice of public transport.
Old Mar 5th 2015, 10:17 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Woodlea
Whatever happened to the plain smile Smilie?
Old Mar 5th 2015, 11:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Woodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
What a lovely smile! But where did you find it?? It's not the same as this one
Old Mar 6th 2015, 12:13 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

just type : ) and put them together
Old Mar 6th 2015, 12:17 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Here

Attachment 121089

Spoiler:
It is beneath the Santa.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.