Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

The Christchurch thread

The Christchurch thread

Old Sep 30th 2014, 9:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Wessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: The Christchurch thread

Originally Posted by alanmacc
I know of a couple of ex pats in Kirwee but pretty sure they are not on here
Thanks Al,
Its a real small place, im sure i will bump into them at some stage 👍😉
Old Oct 1st 2014, 12:31 am
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mark Smith
Thats why I like kegs! Did you see his kegerator in the store? I bought one from him and it holds 3 19l kegs at a time. So much easier. Occasionally people/breweries give bottles away on the facebook site I mentioned, although nothing on there at the moment.

The heat belt on the fermenter seems to be holding mine at 22 degrees in the garage, so you'll be great!
I am thinking more in line with a few dozen bottles of home brew....not quite wanting to start a pub...
Old Oct 2nd 2014, 9:32 pm
Just Joined

sten3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everyone, looking for recommendations/advice on preschool/nursery for our 3 year old daughter in and around christchurch. Also any recommendations on areas to live to narrow our search. Will obviously look around once we arrive in November. We have an apartment for the first month in sumner until we find our feet and so we can explore. My husband will be working in christchurch city but we like the idea of living outside of the city if we can with a not too painful commute.

We live in east sussex in a semi rural area in the uk with various towns and cities within easy reach but like a fairly quiet area to live.........

Looking forward to our big move!
Old Oct 2nd 2014, 10:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sten3
Hi everyone, looking for recommendations/advice on preschool/nursery for our 3 year old daughter in and around christchurch. Also any recommendations on areas to live to narrow our search. Will obviously look around once we arrive in November. We have an apartment for the first month in sumner until we find our feet and so we can explore. My husband will be working in christchurch city but we like the idea of living outside of the city if we can with a not too painful commute.

We live in east sussex in a semi rural area in the uk with various towns and cities within easy reach but like a fairly quiet area to live.........

Looking forward to our big move!
How quiet do you want your place to be?

What sort of things do you want when chosing a place to call home?

Where in the city centre is your husband commuting to? Does he know his hours yet?

Give me a few details and I'll come up with some areas that'll suite your demands. I'm not an estate agent but I know some people have said they wanted a quiet place, moved to Oxford as an example and then hated it.
Old Oct 3rd 2014, 2:09 am

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi sten3, Look to the West side of the city for less damaged areas. We live NW at Burnside, it is a good school catchment area for later. Avonhead, Hei Hei all quite areas. Wife cycles into the Hagley/Hospital area daily and we have good bus services from Burnside.
Old Oct 5th 2014, 12:33 pm
Just Joined

Al poochino is an unknown quantity at this point

Going off on a bit of a tangent here but would be grateful for opinion. As a student I ran a bit of a sideline in 'up-cycling' furniture (shabby chic type vintage). I plan to continue this while I work to get some extra money. Is there a market for this in New Zealand? Not sure whether to plan on either stocking up on furniture or shipping all the bits I do have with a view to maybe selling them at some point and continuing my little business.

Last edited by Al poochino; Oct 5th 2014 at 12:34 pm. Reason: Needed to explain myself a bit better!
Old Oct 13th 2014, 1:45 pm
Just Joined

Hi there

My husband will be working on barbados street Christchurch central. Hours I think are 730am until 430pm monday to friday.

We are hoping to just have the one car between us so my husband will most likely need to use this for work during the day and week although some days may share a lift into work with someone else. So we will need to be in an area where I can get public transport relatively easy. I have a 3 year old daughter who will go to nursery and once she is settled I will need to find work too. Our house in the UK is in a quiet residential area but it is still walking distance to the town centre approximately 10 minutes on foot. If we were to stay in the UK we would move more out into the country. With New Zealand I think for at least the short term we will need to be someone we can explore the areas easily and have places to go nearby. We enjoy the outdoors and taking our daughter to the park and beach etc. We are renting a house in Spreydon for the first three months which is something my husbands employer has set up for us so we can settle and explore where we want to be. Originally this was only going to be for the first month but they have extended our rental contract for us to give us more time, which we have only just found out. Any advice much appreciated.
Old Oct 13th 2014, 6:50 pm

Sorry sten 3 can't help too much we live completely the other side of the city out at Burnside near the Airport. Quite area good schools and bus services and wife cycles to the main Hospital on Hagley.
Old Oct 13th 2014, 7:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond repute

Here's a link to the bus services. The orbiter is pretty useful linking the malls together and this passes through Spreydon. MetroInfo Interactive Network Map Pioneer sports centre is closeby and has a pool/gym. We have some friends on that side of town and it seems a pretty good place to live. You are close to the port hills/Victoria Park/heathcote river walks for starters.
Old Oct 13th 2014, 8:44 pm
Just Joined

Thanks guys this information is really helpful. I shall have a look at the metroinfo link : )
Old Oct 13th 2014, 8:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond repute

Public transport eh

That does rule a few places out

New Brightons affordable, I suppose. Plenty of parks and beach there. It's been heavily run down mind, a bit like Blackpool without the amusement arcades and theme park.
Old Nov 3rd 2014, 5:53 am
Forum Regular

Toodles23 is on a distinguished road

Just wanted to say hello - we landed in ChCh last Thursday, had a slightly slow start as the little one decided to be sick for a few days but hopefully now we can throw ourselves into house and job hunting! Currently staying in Halswell but quite like the look of Rolleston as OH would prefer to be outside the city itself.
Old Nov 3rd 2014, 10:22 am
Nz

moving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Al poochino
Going off on a bit of a tangent here but would be grateful for opinion. As a student I ran a bit of a sideline in 'up-cycling' furniture (shabby chic type vintage). I plan to continue this while I work to get some extra money. Is there a market for this in New Zealand? Not sure whether to plan on either stocking up on furniture or shipping all the bits I do have with a view to maybe selling them at some point and continuing my little business.
Second hand furniture is stupidly cheap. Paint ect..... Is NOT. You may make lil bit pocket money but not much to make it worth your while.

Last edited by moving2NZ2013; Nov 3rd 2014 at 10:29 am.
Old Nov 3rd 2014, 10:26 am
Nz

moving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Toodles23
Just wanted to say hello - we landed in ChCh last Thursday, had a slightly slow start as the little one decided to be sick for a few days but hopefully now we can throw ourselves into house and job hunting! Currently staying in Halswell but quite like the look of Rolleston as OH would prefer to be outside the city itself.
Hi
Welcome

Poor wee lil one. It's tough on them I come here with 10month old n 2 yr old ekkk

Rolleston is nice! Although the price of rolleston dentist isn't lol I went there last week

I'd hate to live in a city the chch traffic drives em mad.loonatic drivers!
I live in quiet town called methven.

Riccarton market on a Sunday.visit Gary's English stall fab prices and nommo Yorkshire tea n hob nobs lol

Last edited by moving2NZ2013; Nov 3rd 2014 at 10:28 am.
Old Nov 3rd 2014, 6:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by moving2NZ2013
Hi
Welcome

Poor wee lil one. It's tough on them I come here with 10month old n 2 yr old ekkk

Rolleston is nice! Although the price of rolleston dentist isn't lol I went there last week

I'd hate to live in a city the chch traffic drives em mad.loonatic drivers!
I live in quiet town called methven.

Riccarton market on a Sunday.visit Gary's English stall fab prices and nommo Yorkshire tea n hob nobs lol
Just don't mention Manchester United to him at the moment!

Oh and if you have enough marbles Toodles, Rolleston is a no brainer. Lovely place and has a much easier commute than living north!

Last edited by Tom H; Nov 3rd 2014 at 6:03 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.