Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

The Christchurch thread

The Christchurch thread

Old Jul 1st 2014, 2:45 am
BE Enthusiast

LauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Christchurch thread

Awesome good luck to you in the new start. I'm in Chch central which I quite like but as it's just me I had a lot of flexibility. Work is a great base to start finding people to go for coffee with and feeling a bit more normal ain't it?
Old Jul 1st 2014, 2:48 am
Just Joined

MrsD70 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes can't wait to actually meet people and get back to normality
Old Jul 6th 2014, 1:07 pm
Forum Regular

gerard_navickas is an unknown quantity at this point

my missus has that problem of not knowing anyone and feeling isolated, I'm in work all day and the kids are in school so she feels alone. she hasn't been able to find work yet and the house we live in at the moment is a dive, she wants to go home. can anyone help with a part time job? she is a caterer and also worked as a supervisor in retail. once the youngest moves to high school in 2 years she can go full time then.we live in st albans just now near edgeware village close to bealey ave, she doesn't drive yet but planning on taking her driving test here.
Old Jul 6th 2014, 9:48 pm
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gerard_navickas
my missus has that problem of not knowing anyone and feeling isolated, I'm in work all day and the kids are in school so she feels alone. she hasn't been able to find work yet and the house we live in at the moment is a dive, she wants to go home. can anyone help with a part time job? she is a caterer and also worked as a supervisor in retail. once the youngest moves to high school in 2 years she can go full time then.we live in st albans just now near edgeware village close to bealey ave, she doesn't drive yet but planning on taking her driving test here.
Try VBase, they are based at the Canterbury Arena supplying catering/hosting/hospitality etc for events going on at the arena. I'm not 100% sure but your wife should be able to catch a bus, the arena is easily accessible from most parts of Chch. Also try Recruitment Network, they are an agency supplying caterers to different places in Chch. I worked for both when I first arrived 18 months ago. VBase has an online diary where you fill out your availability and they'll try and rosta you on for a shift. They seemed quite flexible with people who needed to leave to pick up kids etc. Your wife also might pick up some evening shifts for various events if that works with her schedule.

Try Backpackers Board for temp work. I picked up a bit of cleaning work in hotels a while back.

Hope that helps!
Old Jul 6th 2014, 10:05 pm
Just Joined

Try registering with agencies I used Madison
Old Jul 7th 2014, 7:13 am
Forum Regular

thanks people that is helpful, she has e mailed her cv to different places so fingers crossed eh...
Old Jul 7th 2014, 7:47 am
Just Joined

Fingers crossed
Old Jul 8th 2014, 2:12 pm
Forum Regular

Toodles23 is on a distinguished road

Hi,

We're looking to move to Christchurch late October so I'm trying to work out a plan for accommodation. We're thinking of going for a holiday (furnished) let initially while we try to find a rental. I know it's hard to find rental properties in chch at the moment so I'm wondering how long we should allow? Would we be really struggling to find anywhere in 5 weeks? Weighed up against the cost of a holiday let.

If it was just the two if us we'd wing it but with a toddler in tow we need to be more sensible ;-)

Ta muchly!
Old Jul 8th 2014, 4:54 pm
Just Joined

I think it depends on your budget my husband found the one we are at pretty quick within 2/3 weeks of him being here
Old Jul 13th 2014, 1:44 am
Forum Regular

It will depend on your budget but allow for extra hotel/motel time with that.If you have a bit behind you you should be ok but if you come from a regular working class background like us I think you will struggle to find somewhere decent in 5 weeks cos I've been here 3 months with my family and we are still trying to find somewhere to rent on a long term lease. We are in a fully furnished rental at the moment paying way over the odds for a property we refer to as "the hole". The motel took a chunk of our budget as we were waiting to get the go ahead to move into a nice home only to be told "we haven't made a decision yet". We moved into the hole and then received a call to ask if we still wanted to move into the place we wanted, too late then. Don't pin any hopes on certain houses no matter what you are told as you could be disappointed. Do what is best for you and make as many options available to you as you can. Money talks at the end of the day, NZ is no different to the rest of the world in that sense. The wife hates it here but my boys and I are settling in. I know this is the right decision for my boys future as there is nothing for them in the UK.
Old Jul 14th 2014, 2:32 pm
Just Joined

Emme12 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all,

I have been trawling through this post for a while picking up some fab tips in readiness for our final move. Basically we went to an Expo in March and my husband got offered a job with Downers Nz offering a fab package and pay to which he said yes! So EOI went in and was picked up within 2 weeks. We are just waiting for Medicals to come back (fingers crossed) and then it is the waiting game for the PR Visa. The company have been amazing and so supportive and helpful. Hubby is hoping to go out by the end of September (in time for summer I think!!!) and then me and my girls will follow. We are doing research now and he will have a list of suburbs to vsit and check out! His compnay are supporting us with the relocation and first 2 months rental we just have to finalise that side. My hubby is on a pretty ok salary with benefits for him and us. And eventually I will look for temp work (if possible). Needs wise we have 2 girls aged 10 and 9 so good schools and maybe somewhere that has clubs for me to meet people (wine tasting clubs sound good :-) we love going out walking for miles and the oldest is very sporty, whereas the youngest is definately a ballet, drama girl! We are looking for it to be an adventure so they get excited rather than worried and also to get out of the rat race of better cars and material things. I currently work a 50 hour a week job and travel 20 miles each way, I work for The Open University. My husband works a 70 hours week incl saturday mornings. So we are looking for a major change of lifestyle. Any ideas of places and schools, clubs, are welcome and also fab places to eat. :-)
Old Jul 15th 2014, 2:54 am
Forum Regular

Kentishgirl has a brilliant futureKentishgirl has a brilliant futureKentishgirl has a brilliant futureKentishgirl has a brilliant futureKentishgirl has a brilliant futureKentishgirl has a brilliant future

We picked Rolleston after considering Rangiora (concerned about commute into chch, basically one road that is bumper to bumper during rush hour), Diamond Harbour (beautiful but longish commute on narrow road). It has good facilities ( shops, library, community centre), 2 big new primary schools (with new one being bult soon) and plenty of clubs. We have been here 2 months, my son is 13 (very sporty) and my daughter 10 is into dancing (lots of choice), there is an athletics club, netball, rugby, new aquatic centre, cubs, scouts and almost any other club you could ask for. We are very happy here. 30 min. commute to chch. Husband came over and settled in, we came over 10 weeks later. Flew via Singapore with 12 hour layover, booked transit hotel for 6 hrs and then used roof top pool for swim and sunbathe. Took the pain out of the journey. We are all very happy here
Old Jul 15th 2014, 3:28 am
Forum Regular

Blade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kentishgirl
We picked Rolleston after considering Rangiora (concerned about commute into chch, basically one road that is bumper to bumper during rush hour), Diamond Harbour (beautiful but longish commute on narrow road). It has good facilities ( shops, library, community centre), 2 big new primary schools (with new one being bult soon) and plenty of clubs. We have been here 2 months, my son is 13 (very sporty) and my daughter 10 is into dancing (lots of choice), there is an athletics club, netball, rugby, new aquatic centre, cubs, scouts and almost any other club you could ask for. We are very happy here. 30 min. commute to chch. Husband came over and settled in, we came over 10 weeks later. Flew via Singapore with 12 hour layover, booked transit hotel for 6 hrs and then used roof top pool for swim and sunbathe. Took the pain out of the journey. We are all very happy here

Bumper to Bumper????

Oh yes it's awful, isn't it Woodlea
Old Jul 15th 2014, 3:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Woodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blade Down Under

Bumper to Bumper????

Oh yes it's awful, isn't it Woodlea
The Northern Motorway is like the M25 - biggest car park on the Mainland
Old Jul 15th 2014, 3:45 pm
Just Joined

Emme12 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: The Christchurch thread

Originally Posted by Kentishgirl
Thanks Kentishgirl. I think we are going to look at Rolleston as a priority I have met a lovely girl on a forum and now friends on facebook so we are already planning to meet up for a glss of wine! it sounds like you are enjoying things. I had a bit of a wobble the other day but back on track now. Just want to sell the house and get moving. Sounds like a good decision re the layover in Singapore I wouldn't mind doing that with the girls. I am quite a socialable person we do like our BBQ (well when we get a chance with the weather!) Can't wait to get out and about and explore. Thanks for your positive post, I do realise things may be tough looking at it from an adventure rather than 'expecting it to be like UK' to be honest I hope it isn't. Time for a big adventure and take things as I find it. I don't tend to get stressed but who know! I guess there is always wine!!! :-)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.