Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

The Christchurch thread

The Christchurch thread

Old Apr 5th 2014, 11:03 pm
Forum Regular

TheCockneyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeTheCockneyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeTheCockneyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeTheCockneyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeTheCockneyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeTheCockneyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeTheCockneyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeTheCockneyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeTheCockneyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeTheCockneyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeTheCockneyKiwi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Christchurch thread

Originally Posted by TomandFiona
Hello guys, looking for some advice. Can anyone recommend a car dealer with some cars around the $2000 mark preferably to the south of the city as we're in Diamond Harbour. Thanks.
Speaking from experience, I dont think any of the Moorhouse Ave ones would have anything at that rate. I was thinking of buying a banger (at that rate thats what you will get), One of the Salesman I bought mine off said they put all their Part ex's on www.trademe.co.nz
Old Apr 6th 2014, 5:49 am
Just Joined

TomandFiona is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks guys, next question. Does anyone have a 5 a side football team I can join one evening?
Old Apr 11th 2014, 1:01 pm
Forum Regular

gerard_navickas is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm in christchurch now and looking for a car. how do I go about registration for a car? Do I need a permanent address? I have a post box for mail is that enough? How stringent is the WOF? I've saw some cars on the road that look like the scrap man is chasing them
Old Apr 11th 2014, 8:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond repute

New Zealand, where some cars come to die, but not allowed to and are kept in a zombie like state of decay.
Check out VTNZ for the legal flufferies.
http://www.vtnz.co.nz/warrant-of-fitness
Old Apr 11th 2014, 9:39 pm
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Cars in the UK tend to rot out quickly due to road salt and damp conditions causing most expensive MOT repairs. NZ does not have so much problem there so tend to run until the engine dies.
Old Apr 11th 2014, 10:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

They prefer to drive cars on the beach and into and out of the sea to get their salt fix. The wheels and chrome on our car is absolutely mullered by salt spray.

If damp conditions ruin cars then I wonder how do they survive in Auckland?
Old Apr 12th 2014, 5:40 am

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Things dry out very quickly in NZ...see how long it takes the road to dry after rain stops! Trust me I ride a motorcycle and things like dry tarmac matter !
Old Apr 12th 2014, 10:25 am
Forum Regular

hjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of light

Lived in Rangiora for nearly 7 years now and its a great place to live but...please stop saying its an easy commute. This has changed alot since the earthquakes,migration to North Canterbury has tripled and the roads are still the same. Rush hour starts about 6.15am and its back to back traffic all the way to Christchurch City.
When I worked at the Uni it took me 35 minutes from Rangiora,takes well over the hour now. I don't commute anymore,thank goodness but my husband hates the traffic now and I never thought he would say that here in NZ.
Just bear this in mind if you have work in the city.
Still think Rangiora is the best place to live though
Old Apr 15th 2014, 8:44 pm
Just Joined

icklewelsh1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there,

I'm relatively new to BE and at the moment am trying to research and find out as much information as possible. So any help, hints and tips will be welcomed with open arms.

My OH maybe working in the Middleton area and will probably arrive before me. So we are looking at the best place for him to rent somewhere near to work. I was thinking Riccarton. It seems very close to work for him and central enough for us to get a good feel of where we might want to base ourselves further down the line, once we have settled.

What is Riccarton like? What are the properties like? Any advice of somewhere else??

Thanks � ����
Old Apr 15th 2014, 10:19 pm
Account Closed

Tom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura about

Riccarton = Chinatown. Very predominant Asian area. Note that Asian here means people from the far east, not the middle east like we say in England

Do you have an idea where abouts? Only I worked on Annex Road and Birmingham Drive for a few months when it was temp office after temp office thanks to mother nature. Given the traffic, I'd seek you look more towards Wigram so that you can avoid Matipo/Clarence St that are always chockablock. Or there's always Ilam and there you can just pop on Curletts Road that generally will be start stop between a school on that road and the Blenheim Road intersection.
Old Apr 16th 2014, 8:12 am
Just Joined

icklewelsh1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for your response Tom1983. OH will be working Annex Road (I think).

We live in the centre of Cardiff at the moment and quite enjoy living near to the water and the small city life (bars, restaurants, parks etc). We do not have any children, so schools etc are not an issue to be near. We are trying to get a feel for the areas from here but the Internet can only tell you so much.
Old Apr 16th 2014, 10:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

snaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nice

Oh how I hope the sun is out this weekend for five nights in Christchurch, give me a break from the routine rain here over the last 10 days.
Old Apr 16th 2014, 10:55 pm

It has been pointed out by someone where it came from....but they have gone now and taking it back with them, so soon back to normal Chch sun...
Old Apr 17th 2014, 12:29 pm
Just Joined

laanantha is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi. My husband has just got a job at the hospital on Hagley Park, potentially starting in August. Our 7 month old son and I will be coming out with him as well, and I hope to find a job too. It has all happened relatively quickly so we are just trying to sort out some logistics! I had a few questions that I was hoping someone might be able to help with:

1) Where would be a good place to live that is an easy commute to the hospital.
2) Is it easy to find furnished 2 or 3 bedroom rental properties? Would the furnishings include things like crockery, tv, white goods etc or would we need to get all that when we arrive?
3) I think I read earlier in the thread that you have to view the property first before rental, is that right? How quickly after that can you move in?
4) Is it a good idea to try and ship as much stuff as possible like crockery, iron, linen, towels, or is it cheaper to just buy it there?
5) How long does shipping take?
6) Approximately how much would a second hand car cost there?

Thanks for the help!
Old Apr 17th 2014, 1:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

LauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Laanatha

I can't help with all your questions but I'll do what I can. Will your husband be wanting to drive? The central city is a bit chocka right now with road works and I know drivers have suffered in rush hour, if he's working shifts this might not be so bad or else he can cycle (I do this about 7km to the hospital I work at and find it easy as Chch is flat).

Suburb wise you'll probably find it cheaper to find rentals in the eastern part of the city. It struggles for a reputation of crime but I have a good friend who has lived there for a few years and she's got along fine. The hospital is pretty central so I wouldn't be too worried about which suburbs myself but take advice from those who have lived here longer than me There is also a huge pressure on rental accomodation right now which is pushing prices articifically high.

www.trademe.co.nz is a good place to get a feel for the cost of second hand things. You can't register from outside NZ but once you have an address here you can get moving on it and it's really useful.

When it comes to buying stuff or shipping it I guess the only thing to do is get a quote and then compare what it might cost to buy it here. Take a look at www.thewarehouse.co.nz or www.briscoes.co.nz for an idea of how much basic house stuff costs. Briscoes has eternal sales and I have got some good stuff from there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.