Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

The Christchurch thread

The Christchurch thread

Old Jul 16th 2014, 12:36 am
Forum Regular

e4ebs is just really nicee4ebs is just really nicee4ebs is just really nicee4ebs is just really nicee4ebs is just really nicee4ebs is just really nicee4ebs is just really nicee4ebs is just really nice
Default Re: The Christchurch thread

After a fab 5 years in Southland, we are making the move to Chch in the next few months...so hello to everyone on this thread, we are super excited to be making the move!

I'm going to be commuting from Cust, and would be interested to hear from Woodlea and Blade about the "bumper to bumper" traffic on the last part of the motorway !. We made the journey recently in 40 minutes to my new workplace, fairly central. That was with some traffic but not the morning/afternoon work traffic - just wondering how much I'll need to add onto the 40 minutes!!!
Old Jul 16th 2014, 1:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Woodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by e4ebs
After a fab 5 years in Southland, we are making the move to Chch in the next few months...so hello to everyone on this thread, we are super excited to be making the move!

I'm going to be commuting from Cust, and would be interested to hear from Woodlea and Blade about the "bumper to bumper" traffic on the last part of the motorway !. We made the journey recently in 40 minutes to my new workplace, fairly central. That was with some traffic but not the morning/afternoon work traffic - just wondering how much I'll need to add onto the 40 minutes!!!
I was 37 mins from NW Rangiora to Woolston before the earthquakes leaving at 6.20 am, I'm now 39 mins on the same route, I have to leave home at 6.10 am now though. My kids go in to uni at various times of the day and they do hit the traffic but it's never at a standstill, it takes them between 40 and 50 mins for that run. Enjoy Cust!
Old Jul 16th 2014, 3:21 am
Forum Regular

Blade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond repute

I leave Amberley at 8am

I'm in work by 8:40. Takes me 40 minutes

Tuesdays I leave at 6 mainly due to the worldwide weekly meetings we have. I'm in the office in Addington for 06:50. It's busier at 6 than it is at 8

I have seen the photos of standstill traffic (mainly because of the lights at Belfast) but the only times I'm at a standstill is because of the awful intersection around the Northlands area. Sometimes, I'll take the longer route and go up to highway 1 via Burnside on Wairakei Road. Might add a few kilometres but often will only hit traffic at the roundabouts. Mainly because Kiwi's do not understand the words "merge in turn".
Old Jul 16th 2014, 6:20 am
Just Joined

MrsD70 is an unknown quantity at this point

We live in bishopdale Greers road it's quite busy
Old Jul 16th 2014, 8:57 pm
Forum Regular

e4ebs is just really nicee4ebs is just really nicee4ebs is just really nicee4ebs is just really nicee4ebs is just really nicee4ebs is just really nicee4ebs is just really nicee4ebs is just really nice

Thanks everyone! Really looking forward to exploring lots of new areas :-)
Old Aug 8th 2014, 7:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Wessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Leonandbev
Hi guys, my girlfriend and I will be coming to chch in jan 2015 which we are both super excited about! We are initially getting a 12 month working holiday visa with the view of extending it to a 24 month if all goes well. My dad lives in Halswell so we'll stay with him at first then the rough plan is to travel for a month, get jobs and save up to travel some more. I am a british gas heating engineer and Bev is a school administrator but we are both easy on the job front regards to the job and location so it's just a case of renting our house out here and bevs sisters wedding in December and we're off!!

We'll look forward to speaking with you lot and no doubt picking your brains along the way, maybe even meeting some of you if we are lucky!

Thanks, Leon & Bev
Good luck to you both. Halswell is not a bad spot, lots of new homes etc going up there. You will both have no problems getting jobs in Chch..
Old Aug 8th 2014, 5:53 pm
Just Joined

Leonandbev is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Wessa! I think my dad is putting the word out already on the job front so hopefully not.
Old Aug 9th 2014, 10:08 am
BE Enthusiast

LauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond repute

Heads up everyone, new Cajun restaurant opening up called Orleans - looks very nice and I will be indulging. They have a facebook page and mention a couple of other new places too so more stuff to try out.

One of the huge bonuses of living here, the process of discovering new stuff is continuous
Old Aug 10th 2014, 4:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Joshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leonandbev
Hi guys, my girlfriend and I will be coming to chch in jan 2015 which we are both super excited about! We are initially getting a 12 month working holiday visa with the view of extending it to a 24 month if all goes well. My dad lives in Halswell so we'll stay with him at first then the rough plan is to travel for a month, get jobs and save up to travel some more. I am a british gas heating engineer and Bev is a school administrator but we are both easy on the job front regards to the job and location so it's just a case of renting our house out here and bevs sisters wedding in December and we're off!!

We'll look forward to speaking with you lot and no doubt picking your brains along the way, maybe even meeting some of you if we are lucky!

Thanks, Leon & Bev

Halswell is great, we have recently moved from there out to Rolleston, we had 8 yrs in Halswell. As Wessa said, there are loads of new homes going up there in a couple of major sub divisions. You will be well placed though- good luck on the move.

Lee
Old Aug 10th 2014, 6:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Mark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond repute

Heads up everyone, new Cajun restaurant opening up called Orleans - looks very nice and I will be indulging.
Ate there Friday lunchtime, very good and a really nice develpment of bars/restaurants connected by stranges lane. Brick farm not far away and next on the list. Certainly more to choose from now in Christchurch.
Old Aug 14th 2014, 2:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Woodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond repute

Rangoon is on the up - at last,

Farmers building in Rangiora demolished | Stuff.co.nz

Looks very empty in the town centre at the moment. Rumour has it that the ground floor of the new building will be lots of small shops while the top floor will all be a new Farmers - sweet!

And they've completed all the tilt-slab on this:

Centre to serve Arlington residents | Stuff.co.nz

in NW Rangiora Exciting times
Old Aug 16th 2014, 3:20 am
BE Enthusiast

LauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond repute

Blergh...is it just me or have there been more earthquakes recently than usual. I felt maybe two in the previous four months and now three in the last ten days. Go away rattle.
Old Aug 16th 2014, 5:17 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

well the one at lunch time today made the news
Old Sep 27th 2014, 5:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Mark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond repute

It's getting to that time of year when I start to sterilise off my home brew equipment. Just done a czech pilsner, anybody else in Christchurch got anything bubbling away?
Old Sep 28th 2014, 5:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Wessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to behold

Just out of curiosity... Is there any expats in Kirwee? Its a real small place but im shifting from Ilam in a few weeks... Looking forward to getting a couple of acres and views of the mountains from the deck..
Thanks all.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.