Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

The Christchurch thread

The Christchurch thread

Old Apr 17th 2014, 1:26 pm
Forum Regular

Kentishgirl has a brilliant futureKentishgirl has a brilliant futureKentishgirl has a brilliant futureKentishgirl has a brilliant futureKentishgirl has a brilliant futureKentishgirl has a brilliant future
Default Re: The Christchurch thread

We have shipped all our stuff, almost a 40ft container full (4 bed house plus extra stuff) cost £6000 including insurance. We thought it would cost more than that to buy new (plus not so much choice). It left Felixstowe on 14 March and is due to arrive in Chch on 26 April. Looking from the uk there appeared to be very little furnished accommodation, other than holiday stuff, which was very expensive for anything more than a couple of weeks.
Old Apr 18th 2014, 8:14 pm
Forum Regular

Toodles23 is on a distinguished road

Hi

I've been lurking on BE for a few months learning lots of valuable bits of info, so thank you all for that!

We were planning on moving to Christchurch at the end of September but due to a family event we may have to delay until the beginning of November. We'll be looking for IT jobs (we'll start before we leave but aren't expecting much joy until we can meet face to face in NZ) and are used to recruitment slowing down over Christmas in London... Does the same happen in Christchurch and if so when does it start/finish? We thought it might be even worse as it's also the summer holiday? We're wondering whether we'd be better to hold off until January instead.

Thanks in advance
Old Apr 18th 2014, 8:45 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Toodles23
Hi

We'll be looking for IT jobs (we'll start before we leave but aren't expecting much joy until we can meet face to face in NZ) and are used to recruitment slowing down over Christmas in London... Does the same happen in Christchurch and if so when does it start/finish? We thought it might be even worse as it's also the summer holiday? We're wondering whether we'd be better to hold off until January instead.

Thanks in advance
We found that Companies seem to shut just before Christmas and most are not back to full quota/capacity until early Feb. But you may be lucky with the ChCH rebuild going on you may get some firms still running as normal.
Old Apr 19th 2014, 10:41 pm
Forum Regular

TheCockneyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeTheCockneyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeTheCockneyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeTheCockneyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeTheCockneyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeTheCockneyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeTheCockneyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeTheCockneyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeTheCockneyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeTheCockneyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeTheCockneyKiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kentishgirl
We have shipped all our stuff, almost a 40ft container full (4 bed house plus extra stuff) cost £6000 including insurance. We thought it would cost more than that to buy new (plus not so much choice). It left Felixstowe on 14 March and is due to arrive in Chch on 26 April. Looking from the uk there appeared to be very little furnished accommodation, other than holiday stuff, which was very expensive for anything more than a couple of weeks.
We moved from Sevenoaks at the start of the year.

Good Luck!!
Old Apr 19th 2014, 10:43 pm
Forum Regular

TheCockneyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeTheCockneyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeTheCockneyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeTheCockneyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeTheCockneyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeTheCockneyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeTheCockneyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeTheCockneyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeTheCockneyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeTheCockneyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeTheCockneyKiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Toodles23
Hi

I've been lurking on BE for a few months learning lots of valuable bits of info, so thank you all for that!

We were planning on moving to Christchurch at the end of September but due to a family event we may have to delay until the beginning of November. We'll be looking for IT jobs (we'll start before we leave but aren't expecting much joy until we can meet face to face in NZ) and are used to recruitment slowing down over Christmas in London... Does the same happen in Christchurch and if so when does it start/finish? We thought it might be even worse as it's also the summer holiday? We're wondering whether we'd be better to hold off until January instead.

Thanks in advance
I got my IT Job (SharePoint Consultant) by doing Skype interviews in the UK and got offered in October, with a view starting in January as they didnt want people starting on projects before xmas as literally the whole world closes down forcibly over the Xmas / New Year period.
Old Apr 20th 2014, 12:11 pm
Forum Regular

Toodles23 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the replies MrsF and CockneyKiwi. We'll weigh up the options before booking flights :-)
Old Apr 20th 2014, 7:10 pm
Forum Regular

Kentishgirl has a brilliant futureKentishgirl has a brilliant futureKentishgirl has a brilliant futureKentishgirl has a brilliant futureKentishgirl has a brilliant futureKentishgirl has a brilliant future
Smile Re: The Christchurch thread

Cockney kiwi, I'm just outside Maidstone at the moment. Coming over to join husband soon, hopefully flying on 15 May, arriving chch 17 May and moving to Rolleston.
Old May 18th 2014, 2:08 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like Fletchers Building are scaling back on rebuild work:
Fletcher EQR has told builders working on the Christchurch rebuild to start looking for work elsewhere because home repairs are winding down.

Two contractors, speaking anonymously, said Fletcher EQR, which is contracted to manage repairs, last week apologised to a group of its preferred contractors in Christchurch because it would not be able to give them as much work as promised.

One of them, who has worked for Fletcher since the start of the repair programme, said the announcement came as a surprise.

"They told us last week that they couldn't guarantee us work because EQC had not given them the jobs," he said, speaking anonymously.

"I reckon EQC want to shortcut the circuit, take it away from Fletchers and pay cash to homeowners to save a lot of money."

About 13,000 homes are still to be repaired and some owners fear they may be forced into cash settlements.
Full link: http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/1005...-builders-told

Good move by EQC IMO, if they can push cash settlements they'll probably save themselves a lot of money over remediation. Frankly between price gouging, fraud, incomplete scope of works and the risk of future litigation any risk that can be kicked back to homeowners with a clean settlement is a much better outcome for EQC by moving risk back to owners.
Old Jun 14th 2014, 8:13 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute

Curry chips, where can I get my fix?
Old Jun 28th 2014, 6:49 pm
Just Joined

laanantha is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi. I posted awhile ago as my husband has got a job at Christchurch Women's Hospital. Our plans are a bit further along now and I now also have a job, in Spreydon. We are leaving the UK for NZ on the 4th August.

I was wondering about suburbs to live in, preferably within cycling distance to the hospital. I will have a car so I can drive a bit further but would rather not have to drive too far to work.

We were looking at Fendalton initially but it seems quite expensive to rent, we were hoping for a 3/4 bedroom house for about 800-900 dollars a week, furnished.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Also, does anyone have any suggestions of good nurseries for my baby who will be 11 months near my work in Spreydon?

Thanks for your help!
Old Jun 28th 2014, 10:50 pm
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by laanantha
Hi. I posted awhile ago as my husband has got a job at Christchurch Women's Hospital. Our plans are a bit further along now and I now also have a job, in Spreydon. We are leaving the UK for NZ on the 4th August.

I was wondering about suburbs to live in, preferably within cycling distance to the hospital. I will have a car so I can drive a bit further but would rather not have to drive too far to work.

We were looking at Fendalton initially but it seems quite expensive to rent, we were hoping for a 3/4 bedroom house for about 800-900 dollars a week, furnished.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Also, does anyone have any suggestions of good nurseries for my baby who will be 11 months near my work in Spreydon?

Thanks for your help!
Hi Laanantha,

Congrats on the jobs

Yep, Fendalton is probably the most expensive suburb in Chch! Try Merivale, which is jut next to Fendalton. Still a nice area but not as expensive. You could also look at Addington (bit busy for my liking but still a possibility). Same with Riccarton. Personally I find it too busy and congested, but you may like it.

I work in Beckenham, which is lovely and not too far from Spreydon or the hospital. St Martins is also a nice area. If I had to pick it would be Beckenham/St Martins area. Colombo Street has a few cafes, restaurants with supermarkets near by. It also has a river running through it which is great for walks and also very close to the Port Hills, one of Chch's best bits
Google "Victoria Park, Chch", fantastic area for kids - has a wee park there with toilets/changing facilities. Great walks for the adults too. You'll also be able to whip round to Taylors Mistake and Godley Head in the car within about 30 mins (stunning areas, Google those too!)

If you haven't already done so just Google Map the above to give you a feel for where everything is. The only downside is properties to rent in those areas will come with a high price tag! Probably not as much as Fendalton though!

Any more questions feel free to ask!

Last edited by Pom_Chch; Jun 28th 2014 at 10:58 pm.
Old Jun 29th 2014, 6:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Kiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Laantha,

Congratulations on the job. I can recommend the ABC Childcare centre at 95 Colombo Street. We had our son in there when we lived in Christchurch and they were brilliant.

Good luck with the move.

Kaye
Old Jul 1st 2014, 2:39 am
Just Joined

MrsD70 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello everyone I landed in christchurch three weeks ago my son has started school on his third week now. I've found a job start Thursday so most of my experience so far has been good!
Old Jul 1st 2014, 2:41 am
BE Enthusiast

LauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome MrsD70 what's the job? Whereabouts in Christchurch are you living? Feel free to ask any question of the lovely people on this thread they are really helpful.
Old Jul 1st 2014, 2:43 am
Just Joined

MrsD70 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi my job is with transpac waste can't wait to start as I'm home alone all day. We live in bishopdale. My husband is working for fletchers he has been here about three months.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.