Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

The Christchurch thread

The Christchurch thread

Old Mar 14th 2014, 8:04 am
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Christchurch thread

Originally Posted by Ray3324
I looked at air bnb and their prices are ridiculous, how can they charge $1000 a week for a standard room. Un believable. I did find a few that are in a better price range that we may approach, so thanks for the advice.
Not sure which website you are looking at Ray!

https://www.airbnb.co.nz/rooms/88076...03-2014&s=gfe5 $62/night, $434/week near Riccarton.

https://www.airbnb.co.nz/rooms/11712...03-2014&s=gfe5 $64/night, $450/week in Ilam

https://www.airbnb.co.nz/rooms/21726...03-2014&s=gfe5 $63/night, $440/week in Opawa

https://www.airbnb.co.nz/rooms/21467...03-2014&s=gfe5 if you're brave!! $21/night, $150/week central Chch

That's just a quick look. Plenty of places reasonably priced, central and in good areas...
Old Mar 14th 2014, 8:04 am
Just Joined

Ray3324 has a reputation beyond reputeRay3324 has a reputation beyond reputeRay3324 has a reputation beyond reputeRay3324 has a reputation beyond reputeRay3324 has a reputation beyond reputeRay3324 has a reputation beyond reputeRay3324 has a reputation beyond reputeRay3324 has a reputation beyond reputeRay3324 has a reputation beyond reputeRay3324 has a reputation beyond reputeRay3324 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mark Smith
But don't blame me if you end up with a werewolf, axe murderer with bad hygiene!
Ha, sounds like an ex of mine
Old Mar 14th 2014, 8:07 am
Just Joined

Ray3324 has a reputation beyond reputeRay3324 has a reputation beyond reputeRay3324 has a reputation beyond reputeRay3324 has a reputation beyond reputeRay3324 has a reputation beyond reputeRay3324 has a reputation beyond reputeRay3324 has a reputation beyond reputeRay3324 has a reputation beyond reputeRay3324 has a reputation beyond reputeRay3324 has a reputation beyond reputeRay3324 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pom_Chch
Not sure which website you are looking at Ray!

https://www.airbnb.co.nz/rooms/88076...03-2014&s=gfe5 $62/night, $434/week near Riccarton.

https://www.airbnb.co.nz/rooms/11712...03-2014&s=gfe5 $64/night, $450/week in Ilam

https://www.airbnb.co.nz/rooms/21726...03-2014&s=gfe5 $63/night, $440/week in Opawa

https://www.airbnb.co.nz/rooms/21467...03-2014&s=gfe5 if you're brave!! $21/night, $150/week central Chch

That's just a quick look. Plenty of places reasonably priced, central and in good areas...
How weird! These don't come up when I search, just noticed that the prices keep rising everytime I click on a post.
Old Mar 14th 2014, 8:18 am
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray3324
Ha, sounds like an ex of mine

Found anything? I quite like the look of that place that's $21/night. It has some good reviews, that's the main thing! Although I would make sure you have a heat source, it has been a bit nippy on some nights recently.
Old Mar 17th 2014, 2:34 pm
Just Joined

Emme12 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all,
Not sure if this is the right thread, however after looking though a few replies etc it seems that this is for all Christchurch threads ? maybe not so apologies and please direct me to the right place.

My husband as been offered a fantastic job, originally in Christchurch for 18 months with the very likely possibility to move to Auckland after. I will obviously be coming out with our 2 girls aged 10 and 8.

We were originally looking at Adelaide in Oz but this opportunity came up and seems great. The people we have spoken to regarding the job etc obviously have really positive things to say about the area. I have concerns re the Earthquake etc. Some areas we have been recommended to look are Rangiora, Amberley. All I want is somewhere with nice schools and recreation areas for my girls, a few shops and a safe place. I would like some suggestions or point me in the right direction
Old Mar 17th 2014, 10:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

chippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Emme and welcome to the forum .

What are your concerns re earthquakes? If they are to do with them happening then all I can say is that they do! There is no warning and they can and do happen all over NZ, although they are not all felt.

Rangiora is about a 20 minute drive to the North edge of Christchurch. The 2 main roads do get congested at 'rush hour'. Amberley is further on than Rangiora.

I believe there are regular posters in here that live in those places and will be able to give you advice on schools etc.

I have lived in ChCh for 2 years and 3 months and love it .
Old Mar 18th 2014, 7:21 am
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Emme we have lived in Chch 2 years now and love the City. Despite its empty plots and rubble makeshift car parks it is wide open and full of big green parks (reserves). The peeps are the salt of the Earth and always first to speak. Earthquakes we have but I am the insensitive one in our house that never feels them!
Old Mar 18th 2014, 9:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Woodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond repute

I have lived in Rangiora for the last 8 years and still love it. It has changed a fair bit in good ways and bad ways but it is still a lovely little town. Both my kids went through Rangiora High School and are now at Uni. It is like any good comprehensive in the UK if you want to suceed they will help you. Rangiora didn't get the quakes as bad as Chch and is built on firmer ground so it didn't have the liquifaction problems. We have lost a few old building but others remain. My main enjoyment is the weather, it is just so much sunnier than the UK and a lot drier than the UK and other parts of NZ.
Old Mar 18th 2014, 9:43 pm
Account Closed

Tom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Emme12
Hi all,
Not sure if this is the right thread, however after looking though a few replies etc it seems that this is for all Christchurch threads ? maybe not so apologies and please direct me to the right place.

My husband as been offered a fantastic job, originally in Christchurch for 18 months with the very likely possibility to move to Auckland after. I will obviously be coming out with our 2 girls aged 10 and 8.

We were originally looking at Adelaide in Oz but this opportunity came up and seems great. The people we have spoken to regarding the job etc obviously have really positive things to say about the area. I have concerns re the Earthquake etc. Some areas we have been recommended to look are Rangiora, Amberley. All I want is somewhere with nice schools and recreation areas for my girls, a few shops and a safe place. I would like some suggestions or point me in the right direction
1: If your worried about Earthqukes in general, look elsewhere than New Zealand. The whole country is on tectonic active plates. We'll always get them

2: Have a look at Pegaustown.co.nz. This is the place where we're moving to. It's about 25km north of the city centre. Nice walkway to the beach, lovely lake for kayaking, swimming etc, potential perfect playground for partner (if he's like me). A new school is opening sometime this year for kids up to 11 years old I think. It also is having a shopping estate being built, I believe New World are going to have a decent sized supermarket there (hooray for fly buys collections). It's got everything that we need and could wish for, worth taking a look...

I am a bit unsure on rental properties there. That may be a negative, especially if you are going to be moving to Auckland after 18 months
Old Mar 19th 2014, 11:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Hazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond repute

I'm creeping into this thread as Mr Hazelnut has been offered a couple of 'come and have a chat with us' opportunities in Christchurch while we are over visiting. It's not an area I'd thought of much as I'm worried it would feel a little too isolated and the aspect of months of snow events and poor winters is not something we're wanting to replicate but the level of salary these people are talking mean it's now seriously on the agenda.

We're in Christchurch on the evening of Sunday 6th April, arriving on the train. Would anyone be up to meeting for coffee, tea or a bite to eat at all?
Old Mar 19th 2014, 7:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Woodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hazelnut
I'm creeping into this thread as Mr Hazelnut has been offered a couple of 'come and have a chat with us' opportunities in Christchurch while we are over visiting. It's not an area I'd thought of much as I'm worried it would feel a little too isolated and the aspect of months of snow events and poor winters is not something we're wanting to replicate but the level of salary these people are talking mean it's now seriously on the agenda.

We're in Christchurch on the evening of Sunday 6th April, arriving on the train. Would anyone be up to meeting for coffee, tea or a bite to eat at all?
You make it sound like Scotland! We didn't get any snow last year and a typical winter's day is cold nights and bright sunny days. Of course we do get rainy dull weather too but it is few and far between.
Isolated? Chch is the second largest city in NZ and the surroundings are packed with just the sort of lifestlye blocks that you would want for your horses and probably a lot cheaper than in the North Island. Enjoy your train trip, I think you will be rather taken with the views on the mainland! For your horses have a look at https://www.facebook.com/amberley.ponyclub
Good luck.
Old Mar 19th 2014, 8:33 pm
She'll be right

I shall echo the sentiments above. My partner and I have been in Chch now for just over one year and love it! Sure Chch is battered and bruised from the earthquake but it does have a lot of redeeming factors - lots of beaches to choose from, mountains close by, forests and the Port Hills all pretty much on your doorstep. It has everything else - friendly people, shopping malls, big supermarkets, international airport. The only thing it's lacking is a city center. Having said that there are still plenty of cafes, restaurants etc out of the CBD to choose from if you like eating out or going for coffee.

As for the winters here they are really nothing in comparison to the UK. Last winter was particularly mild. I never once wore a coat, hat or gloves. Just a long sleeved top with a jumper and a scarf did the trick! I think it snowed once but not enough to have a snow day unfortunately! The thing I like about winter here is that when the sun comes out it is still warm and you'll find yourselves in shorts and t-shirts! Also most people here have a garage to put the car so no getting up at stupid o'clock to scrape the frost off the car

As for Rangiora it's a great area. We have just bought a house near Rangi and can't wait to move in. Amberley is also nice, but it is a fair distance out of Chch (say 50 min commute to the center of Chch). Good schools, plenty for young families, lots of amenities and space out that way.

Good luck with your plans

Last edited by Pom_Chch; Mar 19th 2014 at 8:36 pm.
Old Mar 19th 2014, 9:55 pm
Account Closed

Tom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Hazelnut

You may experience one week of snow here, that's all

It's cold at night, but can get up to double figures during the day in winter. But isn't that the same throughout the country? Just have your electric blankets, fire place and heaters at the ready if required. You may become your electricity providers best friend for a few months but again, isn't that standard?

The place doesn't get completely shut off during a snow storm as well. You might not be able to get across Arthurs Pass or up Lewis Pass but that's just standard. You could still go north or south on highway number 19, where people keep the city clean - sorry I mean highway 1.

Is that what your worried about? If so, remove them, generally that doesn't happen. We've had 2 winters so far and not had any trouble bar - keeping the house warm.
Old Mar 19th 2014, 10:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

davros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond repute

Christchurch is an interesting place to live. I think given the right leadership, it has a positive future ahead. We spent a week there back in June last year, I'd say it is bloody cold (i.e. in that way 3 of the days it didn't get above freezing) and coming down from Auckland, we really felt it. The fresh air was lovely though and to me it is no different to how a winter was "down south" in the UK.

Of course.. had we had an Auckland style house in CHCH - it would be like living in an Igloo!

Last edited by davros1984; Mar 19th 2014 at 10:17 pm.
Old Mar 19th 2014, 10:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond repute

I'm from North Yorkshire and the weather here (except for the wind when it plays up) in comparison is a piece of pxxx. As everybody else says choose your accommodation wisely.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.