The Christchurch thread

Old Jan 14th 2014, 8:14 pm
Forum Regular

gerard_navickas is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: The Christchurch thread

Is Riccarton a run down area??
Old Jan 14th 2014, 8:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

davros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gerard_navickas
so after 03 it's a 12 month WOF and before is every 6 months? that's another thing I didn't know I thought all cars got a WOF every 6 months. From what I have saw on car sales web sites it seems the Ford Mondeo will lose it's the value fairly quickly just like in the UK. That's the car I drive now and would be good to fit all my tools in...do you know about car value or anything? I need to get a car but don't want an old banger that will constantly need work to it
I do not believe this is true. We have a 2004 car, yet have to WOF it every 6 months. My understanding of the current/historical law is that once a car is 3 years old, it requires a WOF every 6 months.
Old Jan 14th 2014, 8:25 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

the WOF rules are changing this year.

The changes involve:

new light vehicles (eg new cars, utes and motorcycles) to have an initial WoF inspection, then no further inspections until the vehicle is three years-old

light vehicles three years or older, first registered anywhere in the world on or after 1 January 2000, to move to annual inspections

light vehicles first registered anywhere before 1 January 2000 to remain permanently on six monthly inspections

Introduction date for warrant of fitness changes

The changes to the warrant of fitness inspection frequency will be introduced by the middle of 2014, I believe it is the 1st July. Until then, vehicles remain on their existing inspection frequency, ie

12 monthly for vehicles less than six years old
six-monthly for vehicles aged six years or older.

taken from:

http://www.nzta.govt.nz/vehicle/warr...f/changes.html

so until the new rules come in you still need the 6mths WOF done

Last edited by MrsFychan; Jan 14th 2014 at 8:28 pm.
Old Jan 14th 2014, 8:27 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by davros1984
I do not believe this is true. We have a 2004 car, yet have to WOF it every 6 months. My understanding of the current/historical law is that once a car is 3 years old, it requires a WOF every 6 months.
ahh right I know what you mean...so it looks like I'll have a car that will need a WOF every 6 months. If it's the same as the MOT I'll be able to keep on top of that I'm good with vehicle maintanence
Old Jan 14th 2014, 8:30 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
the WOF rules are changing this year.

The changes involve:

new light vehicles (eg new cars, utes and motorcycles) to have an initial WoF inspection, then no further inspections until the vehicle is three years-old

light vehicles three years or older, first registered anywhere in the world on or after 1 January 2000, to move to annual inspections

light vehicles first registered anywhere before 1 January 2000 to remain permanently on six monthly inspections

Introduction date for warrant of fitness changes

The changes to the warrant of fitness inspection frequency will be introduced by the middle of 2014, I believe it is the 1st July. Until then, vehicles remain on their existing inspection frequency, ie

12 monthly for vehicles less than six years old
six-monthly for vehicles aged six years or older.

taken from:

http://www.nzta.govt.nz/vehicle/warr...f/changes.html

so until the new rules come in you still need the 6mths WOF done
I'll probably have to get a WOF done every 6 months then...I'll keep on top of that it won't be a problem unless I but an absolute banger
Old Jan 14th 2014, 8:42 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gerard_navickas
Is Riccarton a run down area??
It can vary. Some bits are more rundown, some aren't. It is close to the university and also borders Fendalton which is a bit posh! So you do get a mix. You'd need to assess each property, don't just discount the area.

To help you, draw a line through the city centre. Anything to the west of it was less affected by the quakes (exceptions though!) worse areas would be Hornby and Hei Hei. However I live on the edge of/within those areas and they're fine.
On the east, probably Aranui, Avondale, Linwood are the worst. But then there are parts of these which are ok. So you need to see each property really.
New Brighton has declined since the quakes, I occasionally worked there and always noticed the change when I went back. Lovely library though! Parklands is fine.
Old Jan 14th 2014, 8:50 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Persephone
It can vary. Some bits are more rundown, some aren't. It is close to the university and also borders Fendalton which is a bit posh! So you do get a mix. You'd need to assess each property, don't just discount the area.

To help you, draw a line through the city centre. Anything to the west of it was less affected by the quakes (exceptions though!) worse areas would be Hornby and Hei Hei. However I live on the edge of/within those areas and they're fine.
On the east, probably Aranui, Avondale, Linwood are the worst. But then there are parts of these which are ok. So you need to see each property really.
New Brighton has declined since the quakes, I occasionally worked there and always noticed the change when I went back. Lovely library though! Parklands is fine.
I have wrote down every single area on this entire thread to check out ha ha...I have issued my orders to the family and we won't just dismiss any area until we have checked out the property there. Obviously we have to view it first and "ordered" that we stay in a motel (I might not survive this move) then go looking at where to live...everyone has been brilliant on here
Old Jan 14th 2014, 10:12 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

I have moved the posts about visas etc to a thread of their own HERE as the Christchurch thread is about all things Christchurch.

Thank you
Old Jan 15th 2014, 6:09 pm
Just Joined

TomandFiona is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello all, does anyone have any thoughts or recommendations on high schools in Christchurch? Thanks.
Old Jan 15th 2014, 8:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond repute

Gerard, Here's a furnished rental taking advantage of people needing short term housing, paid for usually by their insurance. You'll see a lot of these and scratch your head.
http://www.trademe.co.nz/property/re...-613139112.htm
Here's a normal unfurnished rental closeby in the same 8052 postcode, just $500 a week difference.
http://www.trademe.co.nz/property/re...-685318638.htm

Last edited by Mark Smith; Jan 15th 2014 at 8:59 pm. Reason: wrong link
Old Feb 20th 2014, 8:22 pm
Forum Regular

JerseyMatt is a name known to allJerseyMatt is a name known to allJerseyMatt is a name known to allJerseyMatt is a name known to allJerseyMatt is a name known to allJerseyMatt is a name known to allJerseyMatt is a name known to allJerseyMatt is a name known to allJerseyMatt is a name known to allJerseyMatt is a name known to allJerseyMatt is a name known to all

Hello Everyone,

Just wanted to say hi as I'll be arriving in Christchurch in the last week of April, initially staying in Riccarton while I search for a long term rental and wait for our stuff to turn up. OH and our 2 boys will be staying with family in Nelson until the end of May but will pop down for a visit to view rentals before then.

Will be looking to rent around Burnside, Bishopdale etc. or possibly even Rangiora as work is near the airport. After looking at rental costs I realise it's going to be around $450-500/week depending on location.

JerseyMatt
Old Feb 20th 2014, 10:21 pm
jjg
Numpty

jjg is a glorious beacon of lightjjg is a glorious beacon of lightjjg is a glorious beacon of lightjjg is a glorious beacon of lightjjg is a glorious beacon of lightjjg is a glorious beacon of lightjjg is a glorious beacon of lightjjg is a glorious beacon of lightjjg is a glorious beacon of lightjjg is a glorious beacon of lightjjg is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by TomandFiona
Hello all, does anyone have any thoughts or recommendations on high schools in Christchurch? Thanks.
I wouldn't pick a school without first going to the open evening or visiting it. Different schools will suit different kids and it is best to look for yourselves rather than taking someone else's word for it.....cheers
Old Feb 20th 2014, 11:37 pm
Forum Regular

TheCockneyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeTheCockneyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeTheCockneyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeTheCockneyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeTheCockneyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeTheCockneyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeTheCockneyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeTheCockneyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeTheCockneyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeTheCockneyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeTheCockneyKiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JerseyMatt
Hello Everyone,

Just wanted to say hi as I'll be arriving in Christchurch in the last week of April, initially staying in Riccarton while I search for a long term rental and wait for our stuff to turn up. OH and our 2 boys will be staying with family in Nelson until the end of May but will pop down for a visit to view rentals before then.

Will be looking to rent around Burnside, Bishopdale etc. or possibly even Rangiora as work is near the airport. After looking at rental costs I realise it's going to be around $450-500/week depending on location.

JerseyMatt
Also work near the airport. Where will you be working? There a lot of nice areas in the NW of the city. Might need to up you budget slightly though !
Old Feb 21st 2014, 9:05 am
Forum Regular

JerseyMatt is a name known to allJerseyMatt is a name known to allJerseyMatt is a name known to allJerseyMatt is a name known to allJerseyMatt is a name known to allJerseyMatt is a name known to allJerseyMatt is a name known to allJerseyMatt is a name known to allJerseyMatt is a name known to allJerseyMatt is a name known to allJerseyMatt is a name known to all

Originally Posted by TheCockneyKiwi
Also work near the airport. Where will you be working? There a lot of nice areas in the NW of the city. Might need to up you budget slightly though !
I'll be doing 3D chess for Airways NZ I've seen a few places around the $450 mark but we'll have a better idea when I'm there.
Old Feb 26th 2014, 12:07 am
Forum Regular

TheCockneyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeTheCockneyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeTheCockneyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeTheCockneyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeTheCockneyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeTheCockneyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeTheCockneyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeTheCockneyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeTheCockneyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeTheCockneyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeTheCockneyKiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JerseyMatt
I'll be doing 3D chess for Airways NZ I've seen a few places around the $450 mark but we'll have a better idea when I'm there.
Ahhh I see. My company built the software SkillSelect that they use. We also fo some work with Farmlands who are in the building opposite Airways NZ in the business park near the Airport.

I am sure our paths will cross at some point :-)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.