Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Christchurch / South Island - What Is It Like?

Christchurch / South Island - What Is It Like?

Old Jun 1st 2008, 7:31 pm
Account Closed

Broaders is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Christchurch / South Island - What Is It Like?

Hi - new to this hence cock-up with earlier thread posted by me - posting 2 threads - deleting 1 entirely and deleting content of the other :curse:

Looking to move out in possibly next 9 months with the wife and 2 boys, 7 & 2. The missus is a secondary school teacher and I am a construction project (specializing in shopfitting and interiors).

Would be grateful for some feedback on Christchurch in particular climate / good and not so good places to live / good and not so good schools, etc.

Have heard about smog problem in Christchurch due to large amount of wood burning stoves - is this true and how bad is it?

Also as my oldest son is football mad (just like his dad) what is the situation with junior football clubs in the Christchurch area.

We visited North Island at Easter and toured round (not enough time for South Island) and was looking at residing in Auckland area mainly due to my job as I had been offered 4 jobs when I was out there, however, now having second thoughts on Auckland due to over priced houses, over population, better standard of living in other areas, etc.

We are looking to emigrate under the skilled migrant category and have had our EOI accepted and just received our ITA.

Your feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks for your help.
Old Jun 1st 2008, 10:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Joshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Christchurch / South Island - What Is It Like?

Originally Posted by Broaders
Have heard about smog problem in Christchurch due to large amount of wood burning stoves - is this true and how bad is it?

Also as my oldest son is football mad (just like his dad) what is the situation with junior football clubs in the Christchurch area.
congratulations on getting your ITA.

we've been in christchurch for nearly 3 years and are really happy - close enough to most things - beach / mountains / city / country and reasonably affordable.

there are issues with smog but i think it depends on where you live - we're in halswell and it's no real issue out here - lots of new houses that don't dish out the smoke (not us though! we've got a log burner and love it!!)

re:soccer - there is a thriving soccer set up out here - my son who's 6 played last season and this - in Halswell alone there are about 16 teams to a grade and 3 grades to the mini league, so plenty of opportunity for everyone to have a go.

re:areas to live / schools etc - there have been some threads about this just recently so do a bit of search but again there is plenty to choose from dependent on what suits you - we rented initially so that we could get a feel of the place - spent many weekends with maps driving round areas, seeing what was local to what and what we liked and didn't like.

good luck with it all
cheers
Vicki
Old Jun 1st 2008, 10:40 pm
Account Closed

Dustybin is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi - new to this hence cock-up with earlier thread posted by me - posting 2 threads - deleting 1 entirely and deleting content of the other :curse:

Looking to move out in possibly next 9 months with the wife and 2 boys, 7 & 2. The missus is a secondary school teacher and I am a construction project (specializing in shopfitting and interiors).

Would be grateful for some feedback on Christchurch in particular climate / good and not so good places to live / good and not so good schools, etc.

We visited North Island at Easter and toured round (not enough time for South Island) and was looking at residing in Auckland area mainly due to my job as I had been offered 4 jobs when I was out there, however, now having second thoughts on Auckland due to over priced houses, over population, better standard of living in other areas, etc.

We are looking to emigrate under the skilled migrant category and have had our EOI accepted and just received our ITA.

We like it. It's the most english of NZ cities, which actually means that it's not like any part of england i've been to!

I did ask a taxi driver the other day why they thought it was like England and she didn't know either!

Anyway there are areas around the city to suit everyone, you just have to have a look around and see what you are after.

Climate wise it's ok, just be careful of the house you choose if you decided to rent when you get here, as some can be really cold and it's not fun, especially if you have kids.

Good luck and enjoy the ride!
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 5:24 am
BE Enthusiast

shirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond repute

We have just moved out of Christchurch to Rangiora which is 15 -20 mins north. We lived in Christchurch for the last year. Winter was mild, summers were great and we had a great brand new rental which cost us $450 per week in rent and was well built in a nice area Burwood/Tumara Park area. It had 4 beds, 2 living, en-suite to master bed and family bathroom, nice gardens, double garage etc. Near to the coast and forest walks and not too far out of the city. No smog much in that area and they are encouraging pellet fires now. I would say don't go to inner city areas - keep to the outskirts like Halswell, Redwood, Burwood, Parklands, Queenspark, Avonhead, Sumner is nice and on the coast as is Redcliffs, Mount Pleasant, Cashmere etc - look at the map of christchurch and avoid inner areas. Hope this helps.
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 9:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Woodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by joggerfan
Would I go back there?
I hope not
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 10:08 am
BE Enthusiast

shirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by joggerfan

Lots of street prostitution and boy racers too.

Then again there is street prostitution and boy racers all over the Uk You will never escape boy racers no matter where you live in this world. Prostitutes are also in every town albeit whether they advertise it or not or whether it is done behind closed doors or openly on the street corners. There is no nirvana!!
Old Jun 5th 2008, 8:07 am
only love is real

clair73 has a brilliant futureclair73 has a brilliant futureclair73 has a brilliant futureclair73 has a brilliant futureclair73 has a brilliant futureclair73 has a brilliant future

We enjoy Christchurch, we moved here a little over a year ago after living further south. My boys are footie mad too. Still get up early hours of the morning to watch live games with their dad the other week when it was Man United v Chelsea in the finals it as you would know went to penaltys. We rung the school and told them we had a bad night over slept and would be in asap. When my son got to school the teacher said 'how was the football, did man u win?' so they obviously knew we were telling porkies lol
There are plenty of footie clubs over here for you kids to go too, i dont really notice the smog, and NZ as a whole are trying to phase out wood burners.
No matter where you are in chch you can always see something breath taking. At the moment we are in winter. Its a chill factor here being so close to the Alps but we hardly have rain. So days are filled with clear blue skies and in the distance you can see beautiful snow capped mountains. It is very green here lots to do. You are not far from lakes, ski fields,beach etc etc
I have travelled some of NZ and i wouldnt live anywhere else but chch
Old Jun 6th 2008, 10:59 am
Account Closed

Broaders is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by clair73
We enjoy Christchurch, we moved here a little over a year ago after living further south. My boys are footie mad too. Still get up early hours of the morning to watch live games with their dad the other week when it was Man United v Chelsea in the finals it as you would know went to penaltys. We rung the school and told them we had a bad night over slept and would be in asap. When my son got to school the teacher said 'how was the football, did man u win?' so they obviously knew we were telling porkies lol
There are plenty of footie clubs over here for you kids to go too, i dont really notice the smog, and NZ as a whole are trying to phase out wood burners.
No matter where you are in chch you can always see something breath taking. At the moment we are in winter. Its a chill factor here being so close to the Alps but we hardly have rain. So days are filled with clear blue skies and in the distance you can see beautiful snow capped mountains. It is very green here lots to do. You are not far from lakes, ski fields,beach etc etc
I have travelled some of NZ and i wouldnt live anywhere else but chch
Thanks for the above info much appreciated. Could have the same problem re sleep when the matches are on the middle of the night!!

Like the sound of Christchurch certainly a lot more than Auckland so fingers crossed with everything.

Looking maybe to do a recci just after new year whilst visiting some friends in Brisbane and hope to be out by Easter.

Cheers.
Old Jun 6th 2008, 7:04 pm
only love is real

clair73 has a brilliant futureclair73 has a brilliant futureclair73 has a brilliant futureclair73 has a brilliant futureclair73 has a brilliant futureclair73 has a brilliant future

If its a choice between chch and Auckland there is no choice to be made lol sorry if any of you live in Auckland but there is no contest chch wins hands down. If you come out for a visit feel free to get in touch
Old Jun 7th 2008, 2:54 am
NO ADDED SUGAR

I_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to behold

Christchurch comes close to being the perfect town (not city) in my humble opinion.

Good luck with your move.
Old Jun 7th 2008, 5:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by I_Will_Freckle
Christchurch comes close to being the perfect town (not city) in my humble opinion.

Good luck with your move.

Christchurch a town - na mate I have to say that Rangiora is a town and Christchurch is a City by New Zealand standards. Probably as big as Exeter which is the Capital City of Devon. Well that is my opinion anyway for what it's worth.
Old Jun 7th 2008, 7:47 pm
Account Closed

Yotty is an unknown quantity at this point

I know CHC is a city but it doesn't seem to have all those big problems a city has, it's far more town-like!