Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Christchurch schools and A levels?

Christchurch schools and A levels?

Old Apr 25th 2010, 7:53 pm
Forum Regular

killercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud of
Default Christchurch schools and A levels?

Hi all, well after much twoing and throwing it looks like Chistchurch is back on, yeah. ok now for the science bit! has anyone got any advice on High schools in the Christchurch area? I have looked at Lincon High suggested by teebrown, but would love to here any views from anyone who goes there. We Should be coming over July this year all going well! My daughter will finish her GCSE's hear in june and is keen to start school asap when we arive. I have looked at a couple of schools but only found one that does the cambridge style of exams? and not knowing the area am not sure which aeas are better than others. Any advice greatfully recieved.
Thanx
Jacki
Old Apr 25th 2010, 10:17 pm
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Christchurch schools and A levels?

http://www.acsnz.org.nz/privatecandidates.cfm

This is all I can find. My kids go to Rangiora New Life School (state integrated) in Rangiora and a couple of pupils have recently done some CIE exams.
Old Apr 25th 2010, 10:39 pm
Forum Regular

killercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud of

Thanx Team embo, guess i might have a problem getting her into a boys school lol guess its back to the drawing board.
Old Apr 25th 2010, 10:50 pm
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute

NCEA level 3 is equivalent to A levels, isn't it? She'll still be able to do years 12 and 13 at high school here to sit that. Or you could try a private/state integrate school and see if they'd consider CIE. Like I said, our kids school does and they're not on list!
Old Apr 26th 2010, 6:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TeamEmbo
NCEA level 3 is equivalent to A levels, isn't it? She'll still be able to do years 12 and 13 at high school here to sit that. Or you could try a private/state integrate school and see if they'd consider CIE. Like I said, our kids school does and they're not on list!
NCEA level 3 is supposed to be the same, but in reality not quite. For example, if someone has outstanding A levels (i.e. all grades at A/A*) Uni may let them miss the whole of the first entry year into some subjects. NCEA Level 3 students have to do preparatory studies in those subjects, although it may only be 6 months. It's quite a subtle difference, and not true for all subjects, but for "hard " stuff like Engineering and Physics, outstanding A levels can help you progress through the Uni system quicker.

Jan
Old Apr 27th 2010, 2:33 am
Just Joined

sharks is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Killercat, most schools are pretty good, but the higher the decile the better, so it comes down to where you live. My oldest goes to Rangi Ruru which has a pass rate up around 98% I believe, and Christchurch Girls High also has an extremely high pass rate. If you are trying to make a direct comparison with the UK or other countries, the following rankings may give some comfort (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Program...ent_Assessment) and also this thread has lots of comments on schools generally in NZ; http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=660973. Most importantly, I think you will find that your kids will enjoy all aspects of life here. Good luck, Tony
Old Apr 27th 2010, 4:42 am
Cow on the Beach

Wooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jan n Neil
NCEA level 3 is supposed to be the same, but in reality not quite. For example, if someone has outstanding A levels (i.e. all grades at A/A*) Uni may let them miss the whole of the first entry year into some subjects. NCEA Level 3 students have to do preparatory studies in those subjects, although it may only be 6 months. It's quite a subtle difference, and not true for all subjects, but for "hard " stuff like Engineering and Physics, outstanding A levels can help you progress through the Uni system quicker.

Jan
Umm apart from the cost (which is covered here by VERY generous loans system - get an interest free student loan for as long as you like at the moment ) why would anyone want to rush university? Best time ever!

The thought of doing basic stuff for 6 months while I settle in...sounds GREAT!
Old Apr 27th 2010, 10:28 pm
Forum Regular

Thanx Tony,
have been looking at that one and was impressed with their music facilities, do you know if they do cambridge exams their? shes quite happy not too but i feel they are easily transferable and although im hoping she will want to stay in NZ long term, realistically shes 16 and may decide to return to the uk for uni. how easy would it be to commute to this school from Rolleston area?
on the plus point i have now been offered a job so looks like it will be all go now.
Jacki

Originally Posted by sharks
Hi Killercat, most schools are pretty good, but the higher the decile the better, so it comes down to where you live. My oldest goes to Rangi Ruru which has a pass rate up around 98% I believe, and Christchurch Girls High also has an extremely high pass rate. If you are trying to make a direct comparison with the UK or other countries, the following rankings may give some comfort (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Program...ent_Assessment) and also this thread has lots of comments on schools generally in NZ; http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=660973. Most importantly, I think you will find that your kids will enjoy all aspects of life here. Good luck, Tony
Old Apr 28th 2010, 9:01 am
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jan n Neil

Jan
Hi Jan, this is an interesting slant. What you say is true but only because Uni's have had to start making the first year of "hard" stuff cover what used to be taught/examined at O and A level, ie the first year of Uni has become the "bring them up to standard in the basics" year.

Good to know some Uni's will take into account top A level results and allow the student to bypass that period though!
Old Apr 28th 2010, 10:13 am
Just Joined

sharks is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by killercat
Thanx Tony,
have been looking at that one and was impressed with their music facilities, do you know if they do cambridge exams their? shes quite happy not too but i feel they are easily transferable and although im hoping she will want to stay in NZ long term, realistically shes 16 and may decide to return to the uk for uni. how easy would it be to commute to this school from Rolleston area?
on the plus point i have now been offered a job so looks like it will be all go now.
Jacki
Hi Jacki - I don't know I am afraid, but Rangi is regarded like Cheltenham Ladies / Eton over here, so if she stays, the old girl network will be very valuable to her. On another note, having made it my business to meet as many current and old girls of all ages as I can, I am impressed by how they all sing it's praises. A constant comment by all and sundry here is how Rangi turns out very self-confident young women. How easy it will be for her to get in, I don't know (they have a maximum number of students of about 700, as many as they can fit in their chapel) - most people here apply for several high schools at once... Chch girls high also excellent, and free!!... If my girl weren't so difficult, thats where she would be going..
Old Apr 28th 2010, 9:18 pm
Cow on the Beach

Wooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by killercat
i feel they are easily transferable and although im hoping she will want to stay in NZ long term, realistically shes 16 and may decide to return to the uk for uni.
Hmmm. Once she has left the UK as a 'habitual resident, she needs to live in the UK for 3 years prior to going to a UK uni to aviod international fees and to qualify for any sort of grant or loan. International fees can be above 20,000 pounds each year for tutition only.

The only possitive in this is that Kiwi universities are very good.

...and all the UK Universities I have researched have NCEA standards for entry, which imho are easier to reach than the "A" level equivalent