Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Christchurch Report

Christchurch Report

Old Apr 24th 2014, 4:01 am
BE Enthusiast

snaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nice
Default Christchurch Report

Just returned from five nights on the outskirts of Christchurch. Wow I was shocked to see just how much happened there during and after the quake. Looks like it will be a great city again once finished. It must be the road-cone city of the world at present. Some fantastic places evolving both big and small (The Tannery). Good luck and best wishes to everyone there now and during the quake of soon after. I was speechless as I am wordless now just thinking about it.
Attached Thumbnails Christchurch Report-catherdral.jpg  

Last edited by snaps; Apr 24th 2014 at 4:45 am.
Old Apr 24th 2014, 8:20 am
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Christchurch Report

Glad you enjoyed your stay! Despite the crumbling buildings and roadworks I'm still proud to call Chch home

The Tannery is a great place. It has really gathered some steam recently. Great to see businesses doing well despite the odds being stacked against them.
Old Apr 24th 2014, 9:22 am
BE Enthusiast

snaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nice

Lots going on there, we did a lot in 5 days:
Sumner
Lyttelton
Riccarton Sunday market....amazing??
The Gardens
185 chairs
Cardboard Cathedral
The Tannery
A walk around the remains of the city.
The Red Zone
The list was endless

We will be back for sure.
Old Apr 25th 2014, 6:12 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

I've read about The Tannery and it all looks and read a bit ace.

It wasn't there last time we were down but the start up container mall was. That was so good to see in the face of what was a new and raw event.
Old Apr 25th 2014, 6:13 am
Banned

akamame is an unknown quantity at this point

Go Christchurch!!

visited there 10years ago, just loved it!! hope you guys will be back!
Old Apr 25th 2014, 8:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Hazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond repute

We definitely felt quite a buzz about the place when we were down there. We spent quite a bit of time walking in Hagley Park and the Botanic gardens and the museum was great. It was also great to see the trams and punting in operation again and the public art is everywhere and high quality. I loved the little plastic squares that are used to make pictures in the fencing round the building sites.
We didn't think the cardboard cathedral looked terribly robust but it was an interesting place to visit.
Red zone was both and at the same time but there's as much new growth as there is taped up buildings.
The only downside for me was the water made me feel quite queasy but I'm sensitive to chemicals added into mains water.
Old Apr 28th 2014, 11:29 am
Forum Regular

ChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really nice

We love our cones here! The other day in Cathedral Square someone put three of them over the floor lights and it looked great.

The Tannery is a very good development. I'm also enjoying seeing The Terrace going up, despite its occasional hiccup - Anthony Gough is at the beating heart of the CBD rebuild. As for Lyttelton, I love that place to bits.
Old Apr 29th 2014, 11:33 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by ChrisWilson7
We love our cones here! The other day in Cathedral Square someone put three of them over the floor lights and it looked great.

The Tannery is a very good development. I'm also enjoying seeing The Terrace going up, despite its occasional hiccup - Anthony Gough is at the beating heart of the CBD rebuild. As for Lyttelton, I love that place to bits.
and I love to read you write that.
Old Apr 29th 2014, 9:58 pm
Forum Regular

Blade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond repute

You weren't the old chap with the Hull City hat on that blanked me out when I said lucky sods

I'll take a look at some of the places mentioned. I return to Sydney tomorrow and am there till next week (this weekend is the Sydney one). I'm hoping there's some transport to take me out to Sheffield, I can't believe I've travelled 15000 miles and there's a Sheffield near me. My wife would love it if I do decide to park base here and move to Sheffield NZ.
Old Apr 29th 2014, 10:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Woodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blade Down Under
I'm hoping there's some transport to take me out to Sheffield, I can't believe I've travelled 15000 miles and there's a Sheffield near me. My wife would love it if I do decide to park base here and move to Sheffield NZ.
http://www.westcoastshuttle.co.nz/ch...-shuttles.html
Can get you there.

The two places only have the name in common, fortunately, nothing there apart from an excellent pie shop and it would be a long commute to town!
Old Apr 29th 2014, 10:06 pm
Forum Regular

Blade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Woodlea
http://www.westcoastshuttle.co.nz/ch...-shuttles.html
Can get you there.

The two places only have the name in common, fortunately, nothing there apart from an excellent pie shop and it would be a long commute to town!
Thanks for that, i'll get myself booked on one

Pie shop you say
Old Apr 29th 2014, 11:45 pm
Forum Regular

ChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really nice

Originally Posted by BEVS
and I love to read you write that.
I have said a number of times to friends over the past few weeks - bearing in mind the effect the last two months of rain is having on their slopes, roads and water supplies and leaving aside quakes - that even knowing all that I would readily live there. Maybe one day.
Old Apr 30th 2014, 12:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Blade Down Under
You weren't the old chap with the Hull City hat on that blanked me out when I said lucky sods

I'll take a look at some of the places mentioned. I return to Sydney tomorrow and am there till next week (this weekend is the Sydney one). I'm hoping there's some transport to take me out to Sheffield, I can't believe I've travelled 15000 miles and there's a Sheffield near me. My wife would love it if I do decide to park base here and move to Sheffield NZ.
Not me. They'll need more than luck when playing The Arsenal, but with 99.9% of footie fans behind them there is always a chance.