Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Christchurch relocation

Christchurch relocation

Old Sep 5th 2010, 11:06 pm
Forum Regular

The harrisons is just really niceThe harrisons is just really niceThe harrisons is just really niceThe harrisons is just really niceThe harrisons is just really niceThe harrisons is just really niceThe harrisons is just really niceThe harrisons is just really niceThe harrisons is just really niceThe harrisons is just really niceThe harrisons is just really nice
Default Christchurch relocation

I know it's not a great time to be thinking of relocating to Christchurch due to recent events but our move is imminent regardless. Following two wonderful trips I have fallen in love with the area and surrounds. I just wondered if anyone currently living in Christchurch could give me some advise. I have one daughter aged 13 and I'm really keen to get her into a good school, so I'm obviously restricted to school zones.We have two older boys at Uni one at Auckland and one at Warwick. We are restricted to rentals at the moment and I've been looking at Merivale, St Albans, Fendelton, Cashmere and further afield in the Sumner area. Is there anywhere else that you would recommend me look at?
We are currently living in Auckland and we haven't been very happy here at all on the whole. My husband has just accepted an offer into the NZ Army and will be posted to Palmerston North and will commute at the weekend. Not ideal I know but I'm used to it as he served 20 years in the British Army prior to our arrival a year ago. Any advise would be gratefully received and once settled I'd love to meet up for coffee with any like minded women out there! Thanks in advance.
Old Sep 6th 2010, 12:46 am
Forum Regular

grantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to all
Default Re: Christchurch relocation

You should look into Burnside. It's one of the best high schools in the city and its a very nice area to live in too.

Christchurch is much much quieter than Auckland, but its a beautiful place. I've been here for 6yrs and love it.

g
Old Sep 6th 2010, 4:14 am
BE Enthusiast

shirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond repute

Yes Burnside, my grand-daughter goes there. Great school and nice area. May find it hard to get a rental now though since so many are gonna need temporary homes whilst their own gets fixed. If I were you I would try and get in sooner rather than later if this is where you want to be! Good luck to you and your family to find somewhere suitable.
Old Sep 6th 2010, 8:02 am
Forum Regular

Lynne sinclair has a brilliant futureLynne sinclair has a brilliant futureLynne sinclair has a brilliant futureLynne sinclair has a brilliant futureLynne sinclair has a brilliant futureLynne sinclair has a brilliant futureLynne sinclair has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by shirl View Post
Yes Burnside, my grand-daughter goes there. Great school and nice area. May find it hard to get a rental now though since so many are gonna need temporary homes whilst their own gets fixed. If I were you I would try and get in sooner rather than later if this is where you want to be! Good luck to you and your family to find somewhere suitable.
I'd also say to check out Burnside High School areas, also Avonhead, Ilam, Bryndwr are good areas to live, thats what our advice has been from our "teacher" in-laws!
Old Sep 7th 2010, 11:42 pm
Forum Regular

The harrisons is just really niceThe harrisons is just really niceThe harrisons is just really niceThe harrisons is just really niceThe harrisons is just really niceThe harrisons is just really niceThe harrisons is just really niceThe harrisons is just really niceThe harrisons is just really niceThe harrisons is just really niceThe harrisons is just really nice

Thanks everyone for your advice. Hope the aftershocks subside soon and everything gets back to a little normality again. Probably not the best time to think of relocation for now but It's still in my heart to!
Old Sep 13th 2010, 6:27 am
Forum Regular

CindyGirl is a jewel in the roughCindyGirl is a jewel in the roughCindyGirl is a jewel in the roughCindyGirl is a jewel in the roughCindyGirl is a jewel in the rough
Smile Re: Christchurch relocation

Think you just have to follow your dreams !
Old Sep 13th 2010, 7:02 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CindyGirl View Post
Think you just have to follow your dreams !
Seriously, even in the face of common sense.....that maybe property is a bit scarce there right now....maybe people already there should have first call on what is available...?
Old Sep 13th 2010, 12:28 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the advise Cindygirl, I'll just have to keep dreaming