Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Christchurch, Please Help.....

Christchurch, Please Help.....

Old Jan 14th 2008, 1:59 pm
Forum Regular

jads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to all
Default Christchurch, Please Help.....

I just presumed that Christchurch Airport was an International Airport, But it seems all flights go via Auckland? If thats right, then its not great for a few reasons ie. added cost, added time and if you care added pollution!

Is this true

Jads
Old Jan 14th 2008, 2:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

littleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Christchurch, Please Help.....

Some flights go straight into Chch although Auckland is much more popular. Try Singapore Airlines.

Alison
Old Jan 14th 2008, 3:40 pm
Forum Regular

jads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to all

Originally Posted by littleal
Some flights go straight into Chch although Auckland is much more popular. Try Singapore Airlines.

Alison
Hi Alison

Just looking around the web and Singapore Airlines seem to be the only airline flying direct to Christchurch, they are a great airline but always a bit pricey!
I cant believe NZ Air dont do a direct flight.
Are we being a right pain to our families making them visit us all the way to NZ if we did move? As usual it boils down to that dreaded £ or $

Cheers Jads
Old Jan 14th 2008, 6:01 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

Originally Posted by jads
I just presumed that Christchurch Airport was an International Airport, But it seems all flights go via Auckland? If thats right, then its not great for a few reasons ie. added cost, added time and if you care added pollution!

Is this true

Jads
Sounds as if you are not too keen on Christchurch and are looking for reasons to scratch it off your list.

Anyway, many international flights arrive and depart Christchurch daily. Granted, most of the international flights are to Aussie, but in the high season you will find flights to and from Japan and Korea. Throughout the year there are also flights to and from Singapore. I think there is also service to some of the Pacific island nations such as Samoa, the Cook Islands and Fiji.

An advantage of Christchurch's international airport is that it is easy to get into town, unlike the horror show that is the trip from Auckland's airport to the CBD. For example, I live in St Albans, an inner suburb next to the city centre. I work out by the airport (my building is next to the runway) and my commute is twenty-five minutes, on a bicycle. You could probably save time by living in Christchurch even if the plane stopped over in Auckland as you'd be home having a cup of tea in Christchurch while the poor Aucklander would still be battling their way through the crap road system that is Auckland.

Pollution? You make it sound dire. Sure, there are some smokey days during the winter when an inversion layer settles in, but soon a wind comes and it's back to fresh blue skies and clear cold nights.
Old Jan 14th 2008, 7:33 pm
Susie..

Andrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond repute

Christchurch Airport is an International Airport. If you want the most direct route from the Uk it will be with Singapore Airlines who do LHR-SIN-CHC. Air New Zealands flights unfortunately come from LA and HKG and stop in Auckland, the flight to CHC from there is only and hour. They stopped the CHC-LAX direct flight a couple of years ago due to money, most people will go via AKL, its really not that bad, I did it in October..

As for the pollution, it was not bad at all this year, alot of families in NZ have a wood burner, very warm and cheaper to run than electric. Unfortunately that also brings with it smog. They are being fazed out now and within a few years no-one in Christchurch City will be allowed to use one..
Old Jan 14th 2008, 8:01 pm
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

You can try Emirates too. They have a flight from Sydney that comes in at lunchtime (ish) each day
Old Jan 14th 2008, 8:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond repute

The best thing about Christchurch are the flights leaving from it. Just my opinion.
Old Jan 14th 2008, 8:52 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

Originally Posted by Lexylou
The best thing about Christchurch are the flights leaving from it. Just my opinion.
hardy-har-har.
Old Jan 14th 2008, 9:03 pm
Forum Regular

C'mon then, why? Really important to have all the opinions, good, bad and ugly.

Bloody hell I,m describing myself

Jads
Old Jan 14th 2008, 9:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond repute

C'mon then, why? Really important to have all the opinions, good, bad and ugly.

Bloody hell I,m describing myself

Jads

Oh jads, you really don't want to go there! It will upset everyone too much. I personally did not like Christchurch. I love NZ actually, if I had been living in Wellington for example I do not think we would have left but Christchurch for me is as lively as an old folks home (not the boyracers though.). Just my opinion though and not worth the paper its written on. I hate all the 'bit like england' thing it has going on. If I had wanted to live in England I would have moved there!!!!!! My OH is a Kiwi (north island) and even he disliked it, we feel is a provincial town. Which suits some people, just not us at the time. Even now with children in tow, I would never live in Christchurch again. Lots of places in NZ that I would though and may do in the future.
Old Jan 14th 2008, 9:20 pm
Forum Regular

Oh jads, you really don't want to go there! It will upset everyone too much. I personally did not like Christchurch. I love NZ actually, if I had been living in Wellington for example I do not think we would have left but Christchurch for me is as lively as an old folks home (not the boyracers though.). Just my opinion though and not worth the paper its written on. I hate all the 'bit like england' thing it has going on. If I had wanted to live in England I would have moved there!!!!!! My OH is a Kiwi (north island) and even he disliked it, we feel is a provincial town. Which suits some people, just not us at the time. Even now with children in tow, I would never live in Christchurch again. Lots of places in NZ that I would though and may do in the future.
Hi again

Where are you living at the moment? Did you grow up in NZ (whereabouts city or town) How does Wellington compare to Christchurch.

Cheers Jads
Old Jan 14th 2008, 9:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hi again

Where are you living at the moment? Did you grow up in NZ (whereabouts city or town) How does Wellington compare to Christchurch.

Cheers Jads
Am in Bonnie Scotland. OH is from North Island, near Wellington. I am not from NZ, am Scottish. You cannot really compare Wellington to Christchurch in my opinion. One is like a village the other like a town (I don't really see either being like cities to be honest) - Wellington has a good feel about it. I look forward to my trips back to NZ each year to see the NZ family and a few days with friends in Wellington is always on the cards. It is more up to date, more happening and has more about it.

We met some really wonderful friends in Christchurch. The nicest people ever but as a place, just something odd about it. The 'city' centre is utterly depressing in my opinion. Not that I hang around city centres but it just always felt odd to me.

It really depends on what you want out of a place. We went to Christchurch with no children, we now have children and I still would not like living there. That is just me though. Other parts of Canterbury maybe but the city itself I don't think so. Sumner is nice though and if I had to go back that is where I would try and live, or out in the sticks. My feeling is if you are going to be rural then be really rural and not rural in a city!

Are you going to Christchurch? I do believe any place in the world is different things to different people so you may love it.
Old Jan 15th 2008, 8:19 am
Susie..

Andrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond repute

With you on it...Just my opinion...
Old Jan 15th 2008, 8:34 am
NZ ways is best ways :0)

Wiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Andrew Cross
With you on it...Just my opinion...
Well, I suppose it's a good job there's people on the flights that arrive, to enable people to leave again.

I'd agree that it's not for all, but for us right now it'll do nicely.
Old Jan 15th 2008, 8:56 am
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute

We were told Christchurch was very 'English'. Personally I don't see it. Yes, Hagley Park looks kinda English but I've never come across a town or city in England that has wooden villas in the city centre nestled next to modern glass buildings! I like Christchurch because it is steeped in NZ's relatively short history with original buildings, designer outlets, pavement cafes, Cathedral Square market etc. And it's dead easy to get around even for a no-sense of direction driver like me!

Flying via Auckland to/from UK wasn't really a problem as on Air NZ's NZ1 flight it's straight through anyway - you don't collect your bags at Auckland, you stay in International and clear customs in Christchurch. And there are many direct flights to/from Christchurch to all other 'holiday' destinations.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.