Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Christchurch job offer advice please

Christchurch job offer advice please

Old Aug 22nd 2016, 8:40 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Christchurch job offer advice please

I would weigh things up on one salary, its not that easy to get p/t work in NZ and lots of people have gone years without even getting a second full time income.

here is a news report on Rolleston:
Rolleston: Time to take it seriously | Stuff.co.nz
Old Aug 22nd 2016, 8:57 pm
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

After Chch big bang a lot of the inner city land was declared Red Zone and the land declared non usable for future housing so the planners had to release land for future building. A lot of the designated new areas are south of the city, Halswell, Rolleston, large new build areas. take a line vertically through Chch city centre and generally speaking east was hit badly whilst west and NW were less affected. A good rule of thumb is travel around and see if you can find chimney stacks still in place. We did just that and settled in Burnside not too far from the Airport. It has a good school catchment that tends to hold the prices higher, public transport into the city is good, whilst the wife cycles to the CDHB laboratories in Hagley Park. Just across Memorial Av we have Burnside park with rugby, soccer, tennis etc....quite active.
Old Aug 23rd 2016, 1:45 am
Nz

moving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Garybarber
Hi all,

Thanks for your replies, the job being offered is under the accredited employer scheme so visas wouldn't/shouldn't be an issue. The salary is around the 115K(nzd), we don't know anyone living there at present the main reasons are that we are ready for a new challenge and want to get a better life balance.

We are not a family to make decisions lightly so we are making sure this is the right thing for us, I think the employer will be inviting me to christchurch for a week quite soon to meet the team and have a look at the local area. This is a huge decision and really appreciate peoples opinions, advice and shared experiences.

Thank you,

Gary
thats a good wage
we live an hour from chch.

we moved here 2 years ago with 10month old and 2 year old.

we have had a rollercoaster of a time the last two years but all in all im so glad we are here

we are with accredited employer. just waiting for the RV stamp.

any questions feel free to pm me.
Old Aug 23rd 2016, 2:55 am
Forum Regular

A4Ron has a reputation beyond reputeA4Ron has a reputation beyond reputeA4Ron has a reputation beyond reputeA4Ron has a reputation beyond reputeA4Ron has a reputation beyond reputeA4Ron has a reputation beyond reputeA4Ron has a reputation beyond reputeA4Ron has a reputation beyond reputeA4Ron has a reputation beyond reputeA4Ron has a reputation beyond reputeA4Ron has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Gary I've been in Christchurch with my parents for a total of about 4 years over two stints now, I moved here with them when I was 19. Here's my summary:

Pros
- Better/longer summer, more frequent sunny clear blue sky days
- Less volume of traffic
- Slightly cheaper fuel prices/cheaper car insurance/much cheaper road tax)
- Close to Australia

Cons
- Higher general cost of living (Groceries, electricity, general appliances are more expensive, in some cases laughably expensive)
- Housing is more expensive and less quality (no central heating, not properly insulated)
- Lower wages across the job market in general
- While some people are friendly, some are also sort of anti-British
- Away from extended family (This can be good or bad depending how close you are to parents etc)
- Less infrastructure/stuff to do than the UK
- Tall-poppy syndrome in some cases
- Healthcare (waiting times are less than NHS, but the quality is less with more incompetence)

Most parents who move to NZ believe it will be a better move for their children with more opportunities etc, but this isn't the case. Yes, your children will be safer from 'terrorist attacks' and will have more space to play if you buy a nice lifestyle block with a couple of acres of land.

However, you're more likely to be killed on the roads here with its dangerous 1960s-style roading infrastructure and lower standard of driving, education is a lower standard here, your children will have less job/career opportunities here, and there is less for them to do in general - no theme parks etc. Many, many kids end up leaving NZ for Australia or Europe when they turn 18+ as there's simply less opportunities here for them. All of this needs to be factored in to the decision too.

Another thing to be aware of and I don't mean to scare you - the Alpine Fault. This earthquake is overdue and it's highly likely to hit at some point in the next 20 years - not if, but most definitely when! And when it does hit the area around the West Coast and Arthurs Pass will be magnitude 8-9, with Christchurch and Canterbury experiencing a magnitude 6-7 for a couple of minutes. Ie not good, there will be mass devastation on the South Island.

Anyone thinking of moving to the South Island needs to seriously factor this in. My parents fell under the classic 'rose-tinted glasses' during our move process here and they didn't do enough research throughout. Now years later, deep down I think they realise this and they would stand to lose a hell of a lot of money moving back to the UK. Me and my brother may have to look at Australia for our futures if things don't pick up here.

Having said that, it all depends on what you're used to from the UK and some people have successfully moved to Christchurch from UK and do love it here. I loved my first couple of years here (probably the novelty), but then that soon wore out. If you do make the move, give it a minimum of two years here, then decide whether you want to move back or stay My parents came here with the mindset of "there's no going back, so make it work"

All the best
Old Aug 23rd 2016, 2:59 am
Forum Regular

A4Ron has a reputation beyond reputeA4Ron has a reputation beyond reputeA4Ron has a reputation beyond reputeA4Ron has a reputation beyond reputeA4Ron has a reputation beyond reputeA4Ron has a reputation beyond reputeA4Ron has a reputation beyond reputeA4Ron has a reputation beyond reputeA4Ron has a reputation beyond reputeA4Ron has a reputation beyond reputeA4Ron has a reputation beyond repute

I'd also only consider moving to NZ if you can be mortgage-free or VERY close to mortgage-free, due to the higher cost of living and lower wages
Old Aug 23rd 2016, 4:40 am
BE Enthusiast

LauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond repute

To everyone saying 'it's been a while since the last aftershock' you know you are tempting fate right but seriously, the city is much much safer for having been through the 2010-2011 Quakes so try not to be too put off by that. Besides, if you don't like interesting geology then NZ really is not the place for you.

Anywhoo - chiming in from Christchurch, it's a lovely city, well placed for multiple activities and with more on the cards as the city gets re-built. Making friends takes time and you will have to anticipate and plan for being a little lost and lonely at first but it does get easier. I'd say give it a go. I did and I don't regret it.
Old Aug 23rd 2016, 9:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by A4Ron
Another thing to be aware of and I don't mean to scare you - the Alpine Fault. This earthquake is overdue and it's highly likely to hit at some point in the next 20 years - not if, but most definitely when! And when it does hit the area around the West Coast and Arthurs Pass will be magnitude 8-9, with Christchurch and Canterbury experiencing a magnitude 6-7 for a couple of minutes. Ie not good, there will be mass devastation on the South Island.

Good point but don't forget that we are humans. It's funny that we worry about exchange rates, schooling for our children, pensions etc. but keep building in earthquake zones, deserts and rising sea levels are not an issue.
Old Aug 31st 2016, 8:40 am
Forum Regular

grantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to all

Your salary would more than see you have a comfortable lifestyle here in Christchurch. I came here all by myself in 2004 and haven't looked back since. Its beautiful, laid back, much more freedom and space than the UK.
The earthquakes have died down considerably and we have only felt a couple in the last 1yr to be honest.
Having a little one would be a bonus to get to meet lots of others. They have loads of playgroups, little kiddies sports etc here where you will meet lots of kiwis and expats alike.
If I were you, I'd go for it. you can always go back if its not for oyu, but it is a much better life here than the UK. :-)
Old Aug 31st 2016, 10:07 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by grantanddebs
Your salary would more than see you have a comfortable lifestyle here in Christchurch. I came here all by myself in 2004 and haven't looked back since. Its beautiful, laid back, much more freedom and space than the UK.
The earthquakes have died down considerably and we have only felt a couple in the last 1yr to be honest.
Having a little one would be a bonus to get to meet lots of others. They have loads of playgroups, little kiddies sports etc here where you will meet lots of kiwis and expats alike.
If I were you, I'd go for it. you can always go back if its not for oyu, but it is a much better life here than the UK. :-)
I wouldn't like to jinx it, especially after the two rumbles the the other night lets hope the overdue Big One doesn't happen for a very long time!

Your last sentence will vary person-to-person and what they want out of life in Christchurch. In terms of the possibility of more land, less traffic and being more laid back then yes... But in terms of infrastructure, events and cost-of-living this isn't the case and the UK is better in that respect
Old Aug 31st 2016, 7:51 pm
Forum Regular

ChocolateOrange is a name known to allChocolateOrange is a name known to allChocolateOrange is a name known to allChocolateOrange is a name known to allChocolateOrange is a name known to allChocolateOrange is a name known to allChocolateOrange is a name known to allChocolateOrange is a name known to allChocolateOrange is a name known to allChocolateOrange is a name known to allChocolateOrange is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Garybarber
Hi all,

My young family and I currently living in Suffolk, England and I have a potential job offer in Christchurch new zealand. One of the biggest motivators for me to make this move is to be able to have a better family/job balance and spend more time with my son and wife. The job offer I have is less hours than I currently do and is a lot more interesting not to mention a step up in my industry.

The biggest concerns we have are:

Being lonely
Grass isn't always greener
How easy it is to fit with a little one
Cost of living (whether my salary would allow us to enjoy our time off)
Earthquakes

Thank you all
I have yet to move to NZ (that comes later this year) however we (me, husband, 3 kids) have lived in England (I went to school in Framlingham btw), Scotland, Perth, Brisbane, France and currently spending 3 months in Slovakia.

My experience tells me;
1) You only get out, what you put in. If you don't try, you won't make friends, you won't fit in etc. It is hard but it's also fulfilling.
2) You will be homesick. There is no way around it but to keep busy. At one point we kept a happiness jar and every time something good happened, we wrote a note and put it in the jar. When we felt sad or down, we'd go to the jar and read the happy notes.
3)It is MUCH easier to fit in with kids. It is easier to meet other families through schools and groups and families tend to be quite welcoming.
4) Cost of living is higher BUT and this is a big BUT, there are not so many material expectations on you. Having lived in Aus, I felt no pressure to have nice (expensive) clothes, or to have the latest phone or even drive a nice car. F>ck, houses didn't even have matching furniture let alone swanky curtains with matching ties and foot-poofs!!
5) Make friends with expats but don't ignore the community you live in. This has to be a balance.
6) It is a long way back home and airfares are expensive. Don't expect anybody to visit you. If you have parents, they might only be able to come once a year. Skype is good but we feel guilty for removing grandparents from our kids' lives.
7) Join clubs; whether it be sports or cinema or anything.
8) Those feelings of 'belonging' disappear when you start emigrating. At first it's hurtful, you feel like you don't belong in the UK but you're not a Kiwi either. After a while it doesn't matter and those feelings might fade.
9) Get the biggest and most secure work package you possibly can. It's all about the 'bolt ons'. Because if things go wrong abroad, they go really wrong and it can all come crashing down around you. This happened to us and I am not sure if financially we will ever recover.
10) No move is ever permanent
Old Sep 1st 2016, 8:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

LauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond repute

Regarding point 9 in the post above do whatever you can to cushion blows.

- Have a safety net saved up to help with unexpected bills
- Find a GP and a Dentist that you feel happy with and set up small credit accounts with them so you can get stuff done when you need it.
- Have health insurance for if the S really does HTF.

For one reason and another I had to move out my rental with two days notice last month. That was completely shitty but lucky for me I had good friends and am an insane planner so I had the resources and ability to find a new place and cope with being homeless for a week or two whilst I did. I would really prefer not to have gone through that but at least I know my planning and support networks got me through it.
Old Sep 2nd 2016, 7:36 am
Forum Regular

janiejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond repute

Hugs to you Laura, sorry you had to go through that.