Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Christchurch fires.

Christchurch fires.

Old Feb 15th 2017, 7:16 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute
Angry Christchurch fires.

Hope you guys in Chch are alright down there. Absolutely terrible and scary stuff. Really I think that Chch has had more than it's fair share of natural disasters.

Stay safe.
Old Feb 15th 2017, 7:58 am
BE Enthusiast

LauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Christchurch fires.

I'll take Locusts for $1000 please Bob.

Seriously though it's pretty eerie and looks like more houses are in the way of the flames. I just hope they can get it under control. It's not too far from one of the hospitals now.
Old Feb 15th 2017, 9:39 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Scary stuff. It seems to be moving very fast and is not contained at all at present. Latest reports we got at work over here said one dead and several homes destroyed. Judging by its unpredictability I reckon there will be a lot more property losses yet.

Up to 40 homes destroyed in raging Port Hills fire - National - NZ Herald News

If I tread on anyone's toes here I apologise, but I wouldn't imagine Christchurch residents are accustomed to having a bushfire plan ready, so a few hints that people might want to pass on to family/friends:
  • Anyone in its path might be well advised to make plans to leave asap.
  • If you are further from the active fire but could be in its path, make a decision as to whether you want to stay and defend the property, or leave, and stick to that decision.
  • If leaving, take important papers and medication etc with you, and go as soon as you can in order to get out before roads close.
  • If you have pets, be aware that most evacuation centres will not take them.
  • Do not expect individual visits telling you to evacuate, in fires like this there is no time for that.
  • Be aware that phone (including mobile), radio, and tv communications may all fail. Texts may get through if voice messages don't.
  • If you evacuate, once you are clear let family and friends know so that they are not worried about you and do not start calling the authorities to find out if you are safe.
  • Remember, property and possessions can be replaced, think of personal survival as the priority.
Old Feb 15th 2017, 11:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Mishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond repute

I hope everyone is ok, I'm not sure if anyone on here lives near the area. I don't know anyone that lives near the fires.

I am accustomed to it happening in Australia and have had to evacuate twice in my life, not something I thought I would see in Christchurch..(I'm in Australia at the moment)

take care all!

Michelle
Old Feb 15th 2017, 6:27 pm
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

Just what Chch needs approaching the 6 year anniversary of the EQ
Old Feb 15th 2017, 7:44 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pom_Chch
That Mother Nature is a right tart ain't she. Wish we could send our rain down to you. I believe that one of the fires was started due to an electrical fault. Let's hope that the others weren't started deliberately or due to human carelessness.
Old Feb 15th 2017, 8:13 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Pom_Chch
I know Pom. You echo my own thoughts.

Hugs to everyone down there.
Old Feb 17th 2017, 2:13 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Hopefully the drizzle will help a little bit
Old Feb 17th 2017, 4:27 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

hearing that the fires might be contained, lets bloody hope so. Really really hope some of these fires are not man made, as being suggested.
Old Feb 17th 2017, 6:58 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
hearing that the fires might be contained, lets bloody hope so. Really really hope some of these fires are not man made, as being suggested.
Its a huge problem over here in Aus, a lot of kids start fires just out of fascination to see what will happen, and there are also an unfortunately large number started by adults. I just can't get my head round it, most of these people ar found to live in the communities that they endanger, and ther is even a known issue where firefighters start blazes themselves so that they can be the 'local hero'. Its a sad and scary fact of firefighting over here, baffles me every time I see a report come in about a new fire started deliberately. Australia is actively prosecuting and convicting arsonists whenever it can, but its hard at times to get any proof.
And the conviction of the firestarter doesn't help the people affected. They still lose animals, homes, possessions, and sometimes their lives.