Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Christchurch Contacts Wanted Please

Christchurch Contacts Wanted Please

Old Dec 6th 2006, 10:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Christchurch Contacts Wanted Please

Originally Posted by Mandie.H
you'd be glad you escaped
I live about 10 miles from Portsmouth in Fareham, moved here from Portsmouth 16 years ago...it's great here (not that great that i wanna stay!!!) you can park either in your drive or outside your house, something you can't do in P'mouth...you'd be lucky to find a space 3 roads away.

Mandie
I loved portsmouth! It's not my home town, I moved there when I met my OH, it took a bit of getting used to, being so built-up and crowded, but I grew to love it! We lived in various parts of the city then for the last 9 months before moving here we moved to Portchester. Shane liked having a drive too! He used to get pissed off walking from wherever he could get a spot to our house when we lived in the city.
Old Dec 6th 2006, 11:05 pm

Mandie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jude J
I loved portsmouth! It's not my home town, I moved there when I met my OH, it took a bit of getting used to, being so built-up and crowded, but I grew to love it! We lived in various parts of the city then for the last 9 months before moving here we moved to Portchester. Shane liked having a drive too! He used to get pissed off walking from wherever he could get a spot to our house when we lived in the city.

Oh my god what a small world...i live about a mile from Portchester.

Are you glad you moved? and how long you live in NZ now?

are you settled or would you move back?

sorry too many questions
Mandie
Old Dec 6th 2006, 11:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to behold

Oh my god what a small world...i live about a mile from Portchester.

Are you glad you moved? and how long you live in NZ now?

are you settled or would you move back?

sorry too many questions
Mandie
I have met so many people here from our part of the world, one couple that lived a few roads down from us when we lived in Copnor!

We have been here 4 years. I am very pleased we moved, I did love where we lived, I love England and the fact that my family are there, I loved being able to see my youngest sister that still lives in Hertsfordshire plus the odd visit to my oldest sister in Munich.
But despite all that, this is where I want to be. It took a while to settle in, even auckland seemed small and remote! But yes I am very settled and wouldn't go back to live. I went back for a holiday with the kids in 2003, we had a great time, I loved being back in Portsmouth but we were all pleased when it was time to come back home.
Old Dec 6th 2006, 11:28 pm

Smile Re: Christchurch Contacts Wanted Please

Originally Posted by Jude J
I have met so many people here from our part of the world, one couple that lived a few roads down from us when we lived in Copnor!

We have been here 4 years. I am very pleased we moved, I did love where we lived, I love England and the fact that my family are there, I loved being able to see my youngest sister that still lives in Hertsfordshire plus the odd visit to my oldest sister in Munich.
But despite all that, this is where I want to be. It took a while to settle in, even auckland seemed small and remote! But yes I am very settled and wouldn't go back to live. I went back for a holiday with the kids in 2003, we had a great time, I loved being back in Portsmouth but we were all pleased when it was time to come back home.
How old were your children when you moved out...mine are 15 & 12 and i do worry about how they'll settle in, although they are both very sociable, and coped very well when they moved schools.

I'm sure they'll be fine but occasionally i have a niggle of doubt.
Mandie
Old Dec 7th 2006, 12:00 am
BE Forum Addict

How old were your children when you moved out...mine are 15 & 12 and i do worry about how they'll settle in, although they are both very sociable, and coped very well when they moved schools.

I'm sure they'll be fine but occasionally i have a niggle of doubt.
Mandie
Same ages pretty much! Boy was 14 and girl 12. Son loved going to Portchester school and didn't want to leave as he had already changed schools 3 times. daughter went to St Johns in Southsea (had to go private as couldn't get her into Portchester school) and she loved it there. But, they were with us in the decision making and were still excited about moving here. They are also sociable and although there are loads of poms here they were still a bit of a novelty when they started school here.
It took my son a bit longer than my daughter, I think it is a bit harder for boys, but when he made friends they were lovely and 4 years later at the age of 18 they are still best mates, they go on holiday together every summer and plan on house sharing next year!
Old Dec 7th 2006, 7:38 pm
Forum Regular

stacey19 is a name known to allstacey19 is a name known to allstacey19 is a name known to allstacey19 is a name known to allstacey19 is a name known to allstacey19 is a name known to allstacey19 is a name known to allstacey19 is a name known to allstacey19 is a name known to allstacey19 is a name known to allstacey19 is a name known to all

would anybody want to meet uo with me? I have a 2 year old and a 3 year old and we arrive in Chch January 25th!!!
Old Dec 12th 2006, 8:56 pm
AEG
Just Joined

AEG is a name known to allAEG is a name known to allAEG is a name known to allAEG is a name known to allAEG is a name known to allAEG is a name known to allAEG is a name known to allAEG is a name known to allAEG is a name known to allAEG is a name known to allAEG is a name known to all

Hi looking for some friendly contacts in Christchurch, NZ

We are, if all goes well planning to emigrate in Jan / Feb 2007. I know a few people out there but thought i'd try and get a few more contacts before i go!

I have loads of friends in the uk and really don't want to get to NZ and feel lonely and isolated...i'll be going there with my two children (15 & 12) before my husband, who'll be staying on the finish off doing up and selling the house.

thanks for looking at thread
take care Mandie
Mandie

Been in Christchurch 3 months and have a 16year old starting school end Jan, be glad to meet up for a chat once you arrive.

Angie
Old Dec 12th 2006, 10:04 pm

Originally Posted by AEG
Mandie

Been in Christchurch 3 months and have a 16year old starting school end Jan, be glad to meet up for a chat once you arrive.

Angie
Hi Angie
Thanks for reply, not sure if going now as husband having serious second thoughts about going.
Will keep you posted though as would love to meet up if we go

what school is your daughter going to
take care Mandie
Old Dec 12th 2006, 10:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Angie
Thanks for reply, not sure if going now as husband having serious second thoughts about going.
Will keep you posted though as would love to meet up if we go

what school is your daughter going to
take care Mandie
Mandie, would your hubby consider anywhere else in the world (ie Europe) or is he firmly committed to staying put in the UK?
Old Dec 12th 2006, 10:38 pm

Originally Posted by Rascal
Mandie, would your hubby consider anywhere else in the world (ie Europe) or is he firmly committed to staying put in the UK?

This is a difficult one as he would love to go to Sweden as he worked there for 18 months about 6 years ago and loved it...the trouble is i'm a midwife and would need to learn the language both oral and written to be able to get a job which would take years...also i thought it was nice but not somewhere i'd like to live.

Mandie
Old Dec 12th 2006, 10:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond repute

This is a difficult one as he would love to go to Sweden as he worked there for 18 months about 6 years ago and loved it...the trouble is i'm a midwife and would need to learn the language both oral and written to be able to get a job which would take years...also i thought it was nice but not somewhere i'd like to live.

Mandie
Its hard isn't it, one wants NZ, one doesn't. Language is no barrier here so that gives it a thumbs up.
I really dont know what to suggest. As you know NZ has not worked out for us, we knew it was the wrong move almost immediately.
We were offered a job in Holland with this company who we are going to Malta with. Then they discussed Malta, we dithered a bit as we both LOVE and know Holland very well. But in the end we decided we will take the Malta position. Is Holland somewhere you would consider? They are all english speaking there, so no barrier, and I have to say I find the Dutch people amongst the nicest people on the planet?
Sorry, not much help, I know you are set on NZ, but been in your position just 2 weeks before flying out!! Men!
Old Dec 15th 2006, 3:55 am
back in NZ and lovin it

kerryp is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
we have been in christchurch for almost 3 weeks now and still don't really know anyone. I stay at home in the day so if anyone is home too please get in touch.
Old Dec 15th 2006, 3:57 am
back in NZ and lovin it

kerryp is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by stacey19
would anybody want to meet uo with me? I have a 2 year old and a 3 year old and we arrive in Chch January 25th!!!
Hi stacey, I have a 1 year old and would love to meet up when you arrive, see you soon, Kerry
Old Dec 15th 2006, 4:17 pm
NZ ways is best ways :0)

Wiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kerryp
Hi,
we have been in christchurch for almost 3 weeks now and still don't really know anyone. I stay at home in the day so if anyone is home too please get in touch.
Hey there KerryP, and all you other current or future CCites! Myself and the lovely wife are getting ever closer to our departure date of Jane 13th, and will be arriving CC on the 18th.

We are pretty sociable people, and one we've got ourselves some wheels (2 or 4, we're easy), would love to meet up with anyone who wants to meet up!

KerryP - Staying at home sounds no fun at all. Is there nothing to do in the day? We aim to be finding work as soon as we get there, as well as somewhere to rent long-term whilst we find a house or apartment to buy, so that should keep us busy.

I'm well into motorbikes, and apparently the whole scene in CC is pretty big, so hope to make some friends that way. My missus is a bit nervy about meeting people and making friends, but wants to start horse-riding again, so hopes to meet folk through that.

If our first place is anywhere near big enough, (i.e. larger than a shoe box!)we'll do a forum get-together for all CCites already out there. Toni absolutely LOVES organising stuff (our wedding was fantastic - and all down to her), and it'd be a great way to make contacts and meet people. Anyone there already, or arriving between now and the end of Jan be up for that? I can guarantee plenty of

All the best, and look forward to seeing you soon,

The Wiz bit of Wiz'n'Ton
Old Dec 16th 2006, 7:59 pm
AEG
Just Joined

AEG is a name known to allAEG is a name known to allAEG is a name known to allAEG is a name known to allAEG is a name known to allAEG is a name known to allAEG is a name known to allAEG is a name known to allAEG is a name known to allAEG is a name known to allAEG is a name known to all

Originally Posted by kerryp
Hi,
Hi
If you fancy meeting up for a coffee and a chat PM me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.