Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Christchurch - City centre living

Christchurch - City centre living

Old May 30th 2013, 12:12 pm
Forum Regular

Conor79 is just really niceConor79 is just really niceConor79 is just really niceConor79 is just really niceConor79 is just really niceConor79 is just really niceConor79 is just really niceConor79 is just really nice
Default Christchurch - City centre living

Hello all

We've spent our first 6 months in New Zealand in the wonderful Mount Maunganui and it's been ace. Alas, my work (I'm a sparky) has been less ace. So we're moving down to Christchurch as of next month. Will be staying with friends in Sumner til we get our own place. As my wife has a job at the hospital and I'll be on the rebuild, we've seen some city centre apartments that look good. We are aware of the obvious drawbacks but does anyone else live in or around the city centre? Would appreciate your thoughts

Many thanks
Old May 31st 2013, 1:48 am
BE Enthusiast

chc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Christchurch - City centre living

Hi Connor,

Defining the central city is usually within the four avenues (Moorhouse, Fitzgerald, Bealey and Deans Ave). Many of the apartments in the central area were badly damaged from the quakes, so if you are looking to move into one, you should check to see if repairs have been completed. If not, you may need to move out at some point when it comes time for those repairs to be completed.

Generally the better areas are to the west and to the north of the centre. Also not far from the hospital is Fendalton, Merivale, and Riccarton areas. Feel free to ask as many questions as you like, BritishExpats.com is a friendly place! Welcome to Christchurch!
Old May 31st 2013, 8:31 am
Movin on

skends is a splendid one to beholdskends is a splendid one to beholdskends is a splendid one to beholdskends is a splendid one to beholdskends is a splendid one to beholdskends is a splendid one to beholdskends is a splendid one to beholdskends is a splendid one to beholdskends is a splendid one to beholdskends is a splendid one to beholdskends is a splendid one to behold

Hiya conor79, you don't need to be in the city centre it's horrid! There are plenty of fab areas around the city and the bus network is very good too, sumner is a really nice place and there is a bus that goes direct to the hospital. - I work at the hospital too - I thought there would be staff parking - but there seems to be a long waiting list and its really expensive too.
Hope this helps
Old May 31st 2013, 10:26 pm
grumpy bugger

theghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by skends
Hiya conor79, you don't need to be in the city centre it's horrid!
Erm no it's not. It's a building site yes, but horrid it is not. If you take the time to look around there are great little place to be found and and random street art and gap fillers and well just stuff.

As always have a look for yourself and you decide.
Old Jun 3rd 2013, 12:31 am
Forum Regular

Conor79 is just really niceConor79 is just really niceConor79 is just really niceConor79 is just really niceConor79 is just really niceConor79 is just really niceConor79 is just really niceConor79 is just really nice

Thanks for your words guys. You're right, it'll be best to have a look around when we're down there. Cheers
Old Jun 3rd 2013, 9:53 pm
Account Closed

Tom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura about

There are some ok apartments livable within the city centre. Only one or two bedroom mind if you are ok with that sort of accommodation

Unless you have a fair amount of dollar, don't look at areas such as Fendalton - very expensive.

Riccarton would be a good place to look at as there's loads of bus journeys that connect to the hospital from there
Old Jun 4th 2013, 10:41 am
Forum Regular

ChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really nice

Originally Posted by theghostofdustybin
Erm no it's not. It's a building site yes, but horrid it is not. If you take the time to look around there are great little place to be found and and random street art and gap fillers and well just stuff.

As always have a look for yourself and you decide.
Agreed, it is far from that and is becoming a more positive place to be. I am currently working at the city council on the 6th floor and the views are incredible! I can sit in the kitchen eating lunch and look at the cathedral site and the Re:Start mall, or sit at my desk and look over the whole south of the city to the Port Hills and Hagley Park.

There is a chance that if a building is still standing in the CBD it is a good, well-built one to be in. Just a theory of mine, but I think it carries some weight.

Conor, if you find anywhere you like in Addington the walk from here to the hospital is about 15-20 minutes.
Old Jun 4th 2013, 11:12 pm
Account Closed

shocked kiwi is an unknown quantity at this point

These apartments are awesome in the cbd - I used to live there prior to the earthquakes - $300 per week for 4 1-brm apt plus balcony - very quiet and had great views. You can apply for long term rates there.
www.booking.com/West-Fitzroy-Apartments

but maybe a bit dear now due to accom shortage

Last edited by shocked kiwi; Jun 4th 2013 at 11:48 pm.
Old Jun 4th 2013, 11:29 pm
Forum Regular

Cheers guys! Wherever we end up, I'm really looking forward to moving down and getting into Christchurch life. Speaking of which, i love live music (playing and watching). Can anyone recommend good venues or bars for this?
Old Jun 4th 2013, 11:47 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Conor79
Cheers guys! Wherever we end up, I'm really looking forward to moving down and getting into Christchurch life. Speaking of which, i love live music (playing and watching). Can anyone recommend good venues or bars for this?
most venues are gone due to the earthquakes but they are building new ones - in a few years it will be good again. The art centre was the best place ever - you could sit in the sun and watch live music every weekend. Mother nature has truly been a total bitch to that poor city.

Last edited by shocked kiwi; Jun 4th 2013 at 11:49 pm.
Old Jun 5th 2013, 12:50 am
jjg
Numpty

jjg is a glorious beacon of lightjjg is a glorious beacon of lightjjg is a glorious beacon of lightjjg is a glorious beacon of lightjjg is a glorious beacon of lightjjg is a glorious beacon of lightjjg is a glorious beacon of lightjjg is a glorious beacon of lightjjg is a glorious beacon of lightjjg is a glorious beacon of lightjjg is a glorious beacon of light

You find that a few of the bars have live music on at weekends.
Winnie Bagoes and Speights at Ferrymead do sometimes.
Old Jun 5th 2013, 1:13 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Conor79
Conor - sorry just had a quick look at the website for the West Fitzroy Apartments that I had suggested to you - the 1-brm aparments now rent for $850 per week as a long-term rate - http://www.nzapartments.co.nz/apartm...ay_apartments/

Gosh they have gone up so much since I lived there prior to the earthquakes - in 2009 I was paying $300 per week!!!!!!!!
Old Jun 5th 2013, 1:20 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by shocked kiwi
These apartments are awesome in the cbd - I used to live there prior to the earthquakes - $300 per week for 4 1-brm apt plus balcony - very quiet and had great views. You can apply for long term rates there.
www.booking.com/West-Fitzroy-Apartments

but maybe a bit dear now due to accom shortage
update - the 1-brms at west fitzroy now go for $850 per week not the $300 per week that they were when i stayed there in 2009-10 prior to quakes.
http://www.nzapartments.co.nz/apartm...ay_apartments/
Old Jun 5th 2013, 1:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Mark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond repute

Twisted hop in Woolston and Pomeroys are always worth a look for music.
Old Jun 5th 2013, 7:35 am
Forum Regular

GS.83 has a brilliant futureGS.83 has a brilliant futureGS.83 has a brilliant futureGS.83 has a brilliant futureGS.83 has a brilliant futureGS.83 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Mark Smith
Twisted hop in Woolston and Pomeroys are always worth a look for music.
Agree with this, also depending on your music taste there is Dux Live and the Dark Room. Oh and the Wunderbar in Lyttelton.

Pomeroys a cracking wee pub though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.