Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Christchurch - change of plan....

Christchurch - change of plan....

Old May 24th 2007, 9:10 am

dreamfish is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Christchurch - change of plan....

As plenty of you might know we have been planning to move to Welly. We have had job interviews there, and that is where we based our recce.

I had a dream the other night - and I saw Christchurch (not christ, but christchurch ) and it all suddenly made sense. I woke up for the first time in months with clarity and peace.

I popped onto seek and saw all the jobs for DP that we have been waiting to come up in Welly - with pay packets to go with it. I then had a look at some houses on open2view and realised we wouldnt need a larger mortgage. Christchurch for me ticks a lot more boxes than Welly. I crave the scenery of the south island and I want easy access to all that. I have heard its a lot cooler in the winter - what about the summer? I dont like sweltering heat - 17degrees is about right for me - 20 tops!!

But is this just a dream - I dont know anything about the place. Its like starting all over again.

Oh - and can anyone recommend an IT recruitment agent there?

Am I mad?
Old May 24th 2007, 9:21 am
BE Forum Addict

poppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Christchurch - change of plan....

Originally Posted by dreamfish
As plenty of you might know we have been planning to move to Welly. We have had job interviews there, and that is where we based our recce.

I had a dream the other night - and I saw Christchurch (not christ, but christchurch ) and it all suddenly made sense. I woke up for the first time in months with clarity and peace.

I popped onto seek and saw all the jobs for DP that we have been waiting to come up in Welly - with pay packets to go with it. I then had a look at some houses on open2view and realised we wouldnt need a larger mortgage. Christchurch for me ticks a lot more boxes than Welly. I crave the scenery of the south island and I want easy access to all that. I have heard its a lot cooler in the winter - what about the summer? I dont like sweltering heat - 17degrees is about right for me - 20 tops!!

But is this just a dream - I dont know anything about the place. Its like starting all over again.

Am I mad?
got a feeling that Wiz n ton (well one of them) is a recruiment agent. (if not i'm certain that someone on here is & that they are based in Cch, i've read it in someones post , just can't recall who)
good luck
Old May 24th 2007, 9:25 am
duckfoot

ceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud of

Am I mad?
go with your instincts i say, your not mad at all...well slighlty
cant help with info on the place i'm afraid ...but lots of karma coming your way & like you i've changed my mind, often enough to make my new employer avoid me...me thinks.., but go with it , & all the best.
ceri
Old May 24th 2007, 9:27 am
duckfoot

ceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud of

sorry dreamfish , must spread karma around first before you get more !
Old May 24th 2007, 9:33 am

Originally Posted by ceri75
lol - am I being greedy again??!!!
Old May 24th 2007, 9:33 am
Banned

howardk will become famous soon enoughhowardk will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by ceri75
christchurch ok.....weather gets up to 35 occasionally....dry..plenty of work...great rugby..wellington has better buzz...better looking and more to do...south island beautiful scenery...if i was coming here again i would pick wellington everytime...but then again we leave for canada in a few weeks........
Old May 24th 2007, 9:36 am

Originally Posted by howardk
christchurch ok.....weather gets up to 35 occasionally....dry..plenty of work...great rugby..wellington has better buzz...better looking and more to do...south island beautiful scenery...if i was coming here again i would pick wellington everytime...but then again we leave for canada in a few weeks........
I spose i am being unfair asking you guys to tell me if its right for me. We are simple people who are turned on by a good view and great fishing. The welly 'social' scene and cafe culture was wasted on us. I just wanna see my children flourish.
i hear Chc is like cambridge in some respects.... could be home from home?!!
Old May 24th 2007, 9:46 am
Banned

howardk will become famous soon enoughhowardk will become famous soon enough

I spose i am being unfair asking you guys to tell me if its right for me. We are simple people who are turned on by a good view and great fishing. The welly 'social' scene and cafe culture was wasted on us. I just wanna see my children flourish.
i hear Chc is like cambridge in some respects.... could be home from home?!!
hi ..we too are not 'cafe culture'.........we have a view over the pacific....decent view costs $750k+ now.....a decent view with a decent house $900k.........so chch is good for kids,private schools are cheap,tons of kiddies stuff...ours sail at local club,club swim,play rugby for local sumner team etc etc...so tons for kids...not so much for adults...but don't think that chch locals are not 'cafe culture'...they love it.....i think they are wannabe americans...mall shopping,new car mad,plasma tv must haves.....beaches are usually empty as they are too busy shopping for the up to the minute sofa or toaster..or mag wheels.....or noisiest muffler for their cars exhaust..but rugby culture is GREAT...the kids will love it........hope your trip goes well...........
Old May 24th 2007, 9:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Frenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud of

I can only speak as we found having visited Christchurch from Blenheim a few times it feels a lovely city with lots to see and do (and hey only 4 hours from me eh!!!). I have visited Wellington also and it feels very vibrant, we liked both places. I believe that Christchurch does have some good schools... Go for it, perhaps its a sign!!!!!
Old May 24th 2007, 9:48 am

hi ..we too are not 'cafe culture'.........we have a view over the pacific....decent view costs $750k+ now.....a decent view with a decent house $900k.........so chch is good for kids,private schools are cheap,tons of kiddies stuff...ours sail at local club,club swim,play rugby for local sumner team etc etc...so tons for kids...not so much for adults...but don't think that chch locals are not 'cafe culture'...they love it.....i think they are wannabe americans...mall shopping,new car mad,plasma tv must haves.....beaches are usually empty as they are too busy shopping for the up to the minute sofa or toaster..or mag wheels.....or noisiest muffler for their cars exhaust..but rugby culture is GREAT...the kids will love it........hope your trip goes well...........
ah well - all the more room on the beach for meeeeeeeeeeeeeee !!!
Old May 24th 2007, 11:08 am
Too close to the sun

SirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud of

Youve got Banks Peninsular a jiffy of a car ride away. like being in france/devon, very bijou and boaty sort of place
Old May 24th 2007, 11:20 am
BE Enthusiast

littleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of light

I had a recce of both Chch and W'ton and definitely preferred Christchurch. The beaches were lovely around Sumner. There is cafe culture and proper culture as well as scenery, and it wasn't as cold, wet and windy as Wellington.
Old May 24th 2007, 12:42 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

Jeez...you're livin' the high-life. Well done.
Old May 24th 2007, 7:18 pm

Mandie is an unknown quantity at this point

I've been to both welly and chch

preferred chch as less crowded for me and fewer cars (that i saw anyway)

oh and chch is flat ish big bonus in my opinion

good luck in what ever you decide, but whatever you do keep us posted
Old May 24th 2007, 7:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond repute

Wellington EVERY time.
Would be happy never to go back to Chch again. I LOVE Wellington. Great city but if I were to live in NZ again I would LOVe to live in a place an hour from Wellington called Greytown. Lovely little place. The drive over to it makes one feel a bit sick though!! Its also on the train line and is very lovely.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.