British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Christchurch/Canterbury (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/christchurch-canterbury-931109/)

Reylan Feb 14th 2020 8:39 pm

Christchurch/Canterbury

Am tentatively looking at a move to the Canterbury area and wonder if anyone has any pros and cons for areas to consider there. Probably not in Christchurch city but on the outskirts and surrounding areas. Thanks

Timmy Chch Feb 15th 2020 11:14 pm

Re: Christchurch/Canterbury

This isn't answering your questions but good background reading all the same!
https://i.stuff.co.nz/travel/destina...ity-of-secrets

Reylan Feb 16th 2020 2:12 am

Thank you Timmy Chch.

Mishclark Feb 16th 2020 11:36 am

Originally Posted by Reylan (Post 12806795)
Am tentatively looking at a move to the Canterbury area and wonder if anyone has any pros and cons for areas to consider there. Probably not in Christchurch city but on the outskirts and surrounding areas. Thanks

I live in Chch , am originally from Australia, this is my second run here. Suburbs of Chch depends on where you work and whether you have kids at school, juggling all that. I don't have kids at school and for me coming from Sydney where it takes forever just driving from one side to another, distances are a piece of cake for me.

I haven't lived in the greater Canterbury area but I go for random drives and love it so much! I plan on doing more South Island travel next year and might even give myself a birthday gift to Wellington in a few months for my birthday as I've always wanted to go there.

I love the Selwyn area but due to work I am in Chch, maybe in the future I will get to live there, who knows.

I know people that live in West Melton, Darfield, Oxford, Rangiora and commute to Chch no problems. A friend of mine has just built a place out Tai tapu ( a bit south ) with her new partner, lovely area and she drives to Chch for work, I think it's quicker than out west.

I guess it depends on budget, work, school and having a bit of a discover around.

Pros for me are the fact I'm here and loving it, there aren't really any cons apart from being solo but that would be the same anywhere. It's different for everyone.

Everyone's opinions are different but I'm happy to give feedback on areas and schools if necessary as my kids did primary and intermediate here.

Michelle 😊

Reylan Feb 16th 2020 10:31 pm

Thank you Mishclark

Mishclark Feb 16th 2020 10:57 pm

Originally Posted by Reylan (Post 12807626)
Thank you Mishclark

No problem, I do ramble on a bit (working on reigning that in!) but happyto help where I can. 😊

Reylan Feb 20th 2020 9:47 pm

Anyone living in the Rolleston or Lincoln areas, also Halswell ? Retired couple looking at these areas. Any advice or comments between the two places would be appreciated.

BEVS Feb 20th 2020 10:04 pm

Originally Posted by Reylan (Post 12809448)
Anyone living in the Rolleston or Lincoln areas, also Halswell ? Retired couple looking at these areas. Any advice or comments between the two places would be appreciated.

Not sure where you are at the moment but what is making you both look to Xch please?

Reylan Feb 20th 2020 10:29 pm

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 12809462)
Not sure where you are at the moment but what is making you both look to Xch please?

Primarily house prices at the moment!!

BEVS Feb 20th 2020 10:43 pm

Originally Posted by Reylan (Post 12809478)
Primarily house prices at the moment!!

Gotcha. I do not mean to sound nosy but we are also trying to decide what to do for our future so it is interesting to hear someone else's thoughts.

Are you thinking to 'downsize' in general terms. Pals of ours of our age group, that ping ponged back here, looked from moving from Nelson to Geraldine because of houses prices /rates and CoL . They went back to the UK. :(

I've wondered about the Dunedin area myself .

Mishclark Feb 20th 2020 10:48 pm

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 12809488)
Gotcha. I do not mean to sound nosy but we are also trying to decide what to do for our future so it is interesting to hear someone else's thoughts.

Are you thinking to 'downsize' in general terms. Pals of ours of our age group, that ping ponged back here, looked from moving from Nelson to Geraldine because of houses prices /rates and CoL . They went back to the UK. :(

Come on down to Canterbury BEVS, we can have coffee! (I'm quite normal I promise 😂).

Unfortunately I can't help anyone with Lincoln as I've never been there, I've only been to Rolleston a few times but it's grown a lot over the years and not that far to go ti Christchurch if needed.

Reylan Feb 20th 2020 11:06 pm

Hi Bevs, will PM you.

Justcol Feb 21st 2020 10:29 pm

Personally I wouldn't recommend Dunedin. It's not a particularly nice place to live. Housing stock is old, facilities are generally quite poor. House prices are rising at an alarming rate and will continue as some major building projects come online. I am 100km out from dunners and while I love living in Otago I would hate to live in Dunedin itself. The more rural areas around it are much nicer.
Just saying....😁

BEVS Feb 21st 2020 10:58 pm

Originally Posted by Justcol (Post 12809927)
Personally I wouldn't recommend Dunedin. It's not a particularly nice place to live. Housing stock is old, facilities are generally quite poor. House prices are rising at an alarming rate and will continue as some major building projects come online. I am 100km out from dunners and while I love living in Otago I would hate to live in Dunedin itself. The more rural areas around it are much nicer.
Just saying....😁

... and you carry on as it is helpful . We have only visited and that is not the same as living around there.

I don't think we could live in or near the city . We have been too long out in a village. I was musing the surrounding area(s) more. Where we are is out on a limb and it is also very expensive here. We have liked the bits we have seen down there and more seems to happen down that way too.

*thinks*

Justcol Feb 22nd 2020 9:28 am

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 12809930)
... and you carry on as it is helpful . We have only visited and that is not the same as living around there.

I don't think we could live in or near the city . We have been too long out in a village. I was musing the surrounding area(s) more. Where we are is out on a limb and it is also very expensive here. We have liked the bits we have seen down there and more seems to happen down that way too.

*thinks*

I don't know where you are and as you know, what is expensive for one person is affordable for the next.
There are new houses with no sections in waihola, a nothing place on sh1, that are selling for close on 900k. It's getting silly down here.
Last week there was a piece on the new reporting that Dunedin house prices have increased by around 20% in the last year, the following day all houses for sale went to "price by negotiation" so the sky is the limit now.

On me any areas you are considering and I'll give you any info I have.