Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Christchurch/Canterbury

Christchurch/Canterbury

Old Feb 14th 2020, 8:39 pm
Forum Regular

Reylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to all
Question Christchurch/Canterbury

Am tentatively looking at a move to the Canterbury area and wonder if anyone has any pros and cons for areas to consider there. Probably not in Christchurch city but on the outskirts and surrounding areas. Thanks
Old Feb 15th 2020, 11:14 pm
Forum Regular

Timmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Christchurch/Canterbury

This isn't answering your questions but good background reading all the same!
https://i.stuff.co.nz/travel/destina...ity-of-secrets
Old Feb 16th 2020, 2:12 am
Forum Regular

Reylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to all

Thank you Timmy Chch.
Old Feb 16th 2020, 11:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Mishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Reylan
Am tentatively looking at a move to the Canterbury area and wonder if anyone has any pros and cons for areas to consider there. Probably not in Christchurch city but on the outskirts and surrounding areas. Thanks
I live in Chch , am originally from Australia, this is my second run here. Suburbs of Chch depends on where you work and whether you have kids at school, juggling all that. I don't have kids at school and for me coming from Sydney where it takes forever just driving from one side to another, distances are a piece of cake for me.

I haven't lived in the greater Canterbury area but I go for random drives and love it so much! I plan on doing more South Island travel next year and might even give myself a birthday gift to Wellington in a few months for my birthday as I've always wanted to go there.

I love the Selwyn area but due to work I am in Chch, maybe in the future I will get to live there, who knows.

I know people that live in West Melton, Darfield, Oxford, Rangiora and commute to Chch no problems. A friend of mine has just built a place out Tai tapu ( a bit south ) with her new partner, lovely area and she drives to Chch for work, I think it's quicker than out west.

I guess it depends on budget, work, school and having a bit of a discover around.

Pros for me are the fact I'm here and loving it, there aren't really any cons apart from being solo but that would be the same anywhere. It's different for everyone.

Everyone's opinions are different but I'm happy to give feedback on areas and schools if necessary as my kids did primary and intermediate here.

Michelle 😊
Old Feb 16th 2020, 10:31 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you Mishclark
Old Feb 16th 2020, 10:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you Mishclark
No problem, I do ramble on a bit (working on reigning that in!) but happyto help where I can. 😊
Old Feb 20th 2020, 9:47 pm
Forum Regular

Anyone living in the Rolleston or Lincoln areas, also Halswell ? Retired couple looking at these areas. Any advice or comments between the two places would be appreciated.

Last edited by Reylan; Feb 20th 2020 at 9:52 pm.
Old Feb 20th 2020, 10:04 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Anyone living in the Rolleston or Lincoln areas, also Halswell ? Retired couple looking at these areas. Any advice or comments between the two places would be appreciated.
Not sure where you are at the moment but what is making you both look to Xch please?
Old Feb 20th 2020, 10:29 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BEVS
Not sure where you are at the moment but what is making you both look to Xch please?
Primarily house prices at the moment!!
Old Feb 20th 2020, 10:43 pm
`

Primarily house prices at the moment!!
Gotcha. I do not mean to sound nosy but we are also trying to decide what to do for our future so it is interesting to hear someone else's thoughts.

Are you thinking to 'downsize' in general terms. Pals of ours of our age group, that ping ponged back here, looked from moving from Nelson to Geraldine because of houses prices /rates and CoL . They went back to the UK.

I've wondered about the Dunedin area myself .
Old Feb 20th 2020, 10:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gotcha. I do not mean to sound nosy but we are also trying to decide what to do for our future so it is interesting to hear someone else's thoughts.

Are you thinking to 'downsize' in general terms. Pals of ours of our age group, that ping ponged back here, looked from moving from Nelson to Geraldine because of houses prices /rates and CoL . They went back to the UK.

Come on down to Canterbury BEVS, we can have coffee! (I'm quite normal I promise 😂).

Unfortunately I can't help anyone with Lincoln as I've never been there, I've only been to Rolleston a few times but it's grown a lot over the years and not that far to go ti Christchurch if needed.
Old Feb 20th 2020, 11:06 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Bevs, will PM you.
Old Feb 21st 2020, 10:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Personally I wouldn't recommend Dunedin. It's not a particularly nice place to live. Housing stock is old, facilities are generally quite poor. House prices are rising at an alarming rate and will continue as some major building projects come online. I am 100km out from dunners and while I love living in Otago I would hate to live in Dunedin itself. The more rural areas around it are much nicer.
Just saying....😁

Last edited by Justcol; Feb 21st 2020 at 10:33 pm.
Old Feb 21st 2020, 10:58 pm
`

Originally Posted by Justcol
Personally I wouldn't recommend Dunedin. It's not a particularly nice place to live. Housing stock is old, facilities are generally quite poor. House prices are rising at an alarming rate and will continue as some major building projects come online. I am 100km out from dunners and while I love living in Otago I would hate to live in Dunedin itself. The more rural areas around it are much nicer.
Just saying....😁
... and you carry on as it is helpful . We have only visited and that is not the same as living around there.

I don't think we could live in or near the city . We have been too long out in a village. I was musing the surrounding area(s) more. Where we are is out on a limb and it is also very expensive here. We have liked the bits we have seen down there and more seems to happen down that way too.

*thinks*
Old Feb 22nd 2020, 9:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

... and you carry on as it is helpful . We have only visited and that is not the same as living around there.

I don't think we could live in or near the city . We have been too long out in a village. I was musing the surrounding area(s) more. Where we are is out on a limb and it is also very expensive here. We have liked the bits we have seen down there and more seems to happen down that way too.

*thinks*
I don't know where you are and as you know, what is expensive for one person is affordable for the next.
There are new houses with no sections in waihola, a nothing place on sh1, that are selling for close on 900k. It's getting silly down here.
Last week there was a piece on the new reporting that Dunedin house prices have increased by around 20% in the last year, the following day all houses for sale went to "price by negotiation" so the sky is the limit now.

On me any areas you are considering and I'll give you any info I have.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.