British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Christchurch (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/christchurch-705094/)

Reylan Feb 12th 2011 8:17 am

Christchurch

Hi there, Due to the fact that there may be more work available for my OH in the Christchurch region, I wonder if I could ask for you opinions on nice (and not so nice) places/areas to live around Christchurch please?::confused:

chippy64 Feb 12th 2011 9:19 am

Re: Christchurch

My OH and son lived initially in St Martins (he described it as leafy suburb) and is now in Redcliffs (by the sea). Likes both of those areas.

Persephone Feb 13th 2011 7:56 pm

Generally the not so nice areas are towards the Eastern side of the city so Bexley, Wainoni, Linwood.
Have a look at this thread:
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...t=christchurch
Are you planning on living in the city or more rural? Depending on what you want you could consider places a little bit further out. For example Rolleston is out of the city but you will get more for your money when it comes to housing and it only takes around 30mins to get into Chch.
Is your OH in the building trade then?

Wessa Feb 13th 2011 8:26 pm

A couple of years ago we stayed in a really quiet place called Govenors bay, loved the place. We was looking around Rolleston, that was a bit more built up, just as nice though. ;)

Persephone Feb 13th 2011 8:30 pm

Rolleston is nice and we were thinking of living there too but decided that we wanted to be closer to the city. Mainly because it would be easier for me to get to work. I work late and that extra 20mins on my journey time would have been a pain after a while.
We were nearly seduced by the large sections and bigger houses that were within our price range but common sense prevailed...:sneaky:

Wessa Feb 13th 2011 8:41 pm

Originally Posted by Persephone (Post 9173940)
Rolleston is nice and we were thinking of living there too but decided that we wanted to be closer to the city. Mainly because it would be easier for me to get to work. I work late and that extra 20mins on my journey time would have been a pain after a while.
We were nearly seduced by the large sections and bigger houses that were within our price range but common sense prevailed...:sneaky:

If i hadn't had a job offer in Otematata then we would have gone for Rolleston as we looked to build our own place there. We checked out the schools etc and found everything to be great.
Its now Timaru or Oamaru for the time though.;)

chc4me Feb 15th 2011 2:41 am

Nice places: Merivale, Fendalton, Stowan, Papanui, Cashmere, Ilam.
Not so nice: Linwood, Aranui,
For me, Rollestons a bit too far from the city.

So many factors to consider when you are looking such as how close you want to be to the centre city, where friends/family might be, where your work is located etc etc.

Maybe you could list the points for your "ideal place" rather than us just coming up with our favourite places?

yorkylass Feb 15th 2011 3:14 pm

Our visas have finally arrived. We have the removals people in today and tomorrow, then visiting family for a few days and then flying out to Chch on Sunday. Very excited, nervous and really not sure what I am feeling !!!
Looking forward to meeting up with many of you xxxx

chippy64 Feb 15th 2011 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by yorkylass (Post 9178077)
Our visas have finally arrived. We have the removals people in today and tomorrow, then visiting family for a few days and then flying out to Chch on Sunday. Very excited, nervous and really not sure what I am feeling !!!

How exciting/scary etc! :thumbsup: Where in ChCh are you heading?

alanmacc Feb 15th 2011 11:09 pm

We are in Rolly and although it is slightly built up its not like the Centre of Chch, there are some decent size sections in the Rolly area in Millgate, Kajens and Highgate

:thumbup:

harrogate girl Feb 17th 2011 5:14 am

Originally Posted by yorkylass (Post 9178077)

From one yorkylass to one other, have a good flight should you need help just PM me.

We live in Woodend have lived in Redwood and Burwood but love it in Woodend:thumbup: we are a few mins walk to the beach and it only take us 12mins to get in to Belfast just 15mins to CBD. Shopping we have lots of choice:thumbsup:

yjx1nt7 Feb 21st 2011 6:13 am

Hi
Can agree with harrogate girl ,,Hi :thumbsup:.
I work in Christchurch live in Rangioria soon to move to Woodend now,. Your away from the city but have the benefit of everything just a small drive away.
The people are so nice to newbees here

harrogate girl Feb 21st 2011 6:50 pm

Originally Posted by yjx1nt7 (Post 9190620)
Hi
Can agree with harrogate girl ,,Hi :thumbsup:.
I work in Christchurch live in Rangioria soon to move to Woodend now,. Your away from the city but have the benefit of everything just a small drive away.
The people are so nice to newbees here

Welcome to Woodend have a good move you could call on me for a coffee if you like.